Ask the artist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:
Are you familar with the Dadaists? (I don't necesarily mean in them being an influence on your own art, but just as a reference point). If so what are your views on them?

(I am very ignorant of art to be honest.)

I'm not really familiar with the Dadaists, to be perfectly honest. I've always been more into the Romantics (Delacrox in particular) and the Expressionists (Van Gogh in particular) than I have twentieth century artists. I've always found most of the twentieth century artists a bit too abstract to relate to. It's good work, and I respect their talent, God knows they are better than I can ever dream of being, but I've never really been able to connect with it.

verte76 said:

On "Surrealistic Windows" I did the linear design in oil pen, then painted acrylic over that on the other side of the window. It's a really neat concept that my teachers at the studio came up with.
There's definitely such a thing as painters' block. Sometimes I'll just look at a canvas and feel like there's not a damn thing I can do. I just go away and wait for that burst of inspiration.

I agree it is a neat concept,and very pretty:) Well Iam sure that artists of all genres have blocks now and again.

Have you ever wanted to do anything else? I have so much admiration for painters.To be able to bring beauty to life on paper is a gift.

verte76 said:

Thanks! I think artists who market their work on t-shirts and mugs and such are cool. After all, I sell my paintings. It is very difficult to make a living as an artist. You've got to be creative. I personally also work part time in a library, which is very helpful. I know people who support themselves exclusively as artists. They teach, enter shows in a whole slew of cities, etc, etc. If you're doing good work on t-shirts or whatever, why not sell it? The money comes in handy. The important thing is to do your best work. If people want to buy that, fine.

That's great. I love art work but I can hardly afford to buy a painting so I often buy a mug or t-shirt with the artwork on it. Your avatar would look great on a t-shirt, btw.

LadyRhia said:

I agree it is a neat concept,and very pretty:) Well Iam sure that artists of all genres have blocks now and again.

Have you ever wanted to do anything else? I have so much admiration for painters.To be able to bring beauty to life on paper is a gift.

I really wish I were a better figure drawer. I absolutely suck as one. Oh, well, no one is perfect.

verte76 said:

Hey its nice to meet a fellow artist,

When I went to learn figures I took a few classes but it really didnt do much. What helped me was becoming a better sketcher. I would just sit outside with a pad and pencil and try and get as much shape movement and contortion in as possible. That helped me alot.

Your paintings are beautiful. They must be even better in person as I can imagine they have quite a bit of dimension to them.

Thanks,
NA

Thanks for the advice Tarvark. I think I'll try that. I have a sketch pad and a whole slew of colored pencils. My mother and my younger sister are both terrific figure drawers.

verte, you're paintings are awesome! My younger brother is also an artist, but he paints things so they look real, mostly outdoor scenes of forests and fish and deer (right now he's been hired to paint a landscape mural in his friend's home). Your art is totally opposite of his art b/c it's really abstract and vivid w/ different colors and textures....just helps me appreciate the variety of artwork and talent out there.

:up:

verte76 said:

I really wish I were a better figure drawer. I absolutely suck as one. Oh, well, no one is perfect.

Figure as in people?Well I can draw some pretty mean stick people! LOL

There are few people that are good at everything they do...you have a special gift so be proud of yourself :)

Back
Top Bottom