As We Might Be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Do we see ourselves in fictional characters, and are we biased narcissists who only pick the good or do we also get attracted to those deep character flaws.

I am going to get the ball rolling with Sherlock Holmes, a cold calculating machine devoid of interpersonal relationships with a state of mind bordering on bipolar with a penchant for drug use during down time and a consistent brooding over "the woman".

If I started solving crimes instead of sedimentary formations and had more cocaine around I think I could pull it off ;)

Dr. Martin Dysart, the psychiatrist in Equus

While trying to "cure" his young patient, he knows that in the cure, he will also destroy the young man's passion--that the young man will never again experience life in the intense way he did before, that something rare will be lost. Dysart realizes his own envy of him for that intensity, something he himself has never experienced and knows he never will. The observer, not the experiencer.

Now I need to find myself a biased narcissistic pick before I get depressed.:D:

Interesting. I'll have to think about this one. . . The first fictional character that comes to mind is the one I made up myself which I think is cheating. . .

I shall return.

I'm all about Holden Caulfield. Cliche teenage choice I know, but whenever I read that book, I begin thinking in his voice. I'm older than him, but I feel just as naive and angry at the world, unsure of what direction to go. Like him I find stability in my little sister (and little brother, in my case). The part where he ends up just wanting to talk to the prostitute - I can identify, wanting sex like anyone but really much more than that just wanting someone to listen, someone to connect with. He's trying to be grown up but really he's still a kid, and I feel the same.

And of course, I appreciate his attitude. He's an asshole, but lovably so. He's also a contradiction, hating phoniness yet lying all the time. I'll lie to strangers, but I'm generally pretty honest, perhaps annoyingly so. I suck at lying.

Boy I wish I had that book with me now, really I do.

a time traveler?

No. . .but I'm curious as to why you drew that conclusion. I actually described my fictional character. . .sort of. . .in a thread BonosSaint opened up on our alter egos so months back. .

yes,

it is 9:53 pm
on a Sunday night

and I am watching a terrible movie about sharks on Lifetime Channel called Swarm

Back
Top Bottom