As more time passes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
the more I hate Dubyah and his administration. I can honestly say I've disliked a few before of both parties, but I've never been moved to actually hate a group of US politicians. (well maybe Strom - growing up in the South). Here's a few reasons:

"Bush raises $1.4 million with St. Paul visit
Bob von Sternberg, Star Tribune

Published August 27, 2003 BUSH27

President Bush's reelection juggernaut rolled into St. Paul briefly on Tuesday, raising as much as $1.4 million as Bush delivered a 24-minute speech at RiverCentre.

The take exceeded the expectations of campaign strategists, who had hoped to raise $1 million for a campaign treasury expected to eventually surpass $170 million -- a record.

And former Sen. Rudy Boschwitz, one of Bush's most prodigious fundraisers, told a crowd of about 600 that he expected the total will surpass $1.4 million once all the checks come in.

"This is a most successful fundraiser," Boschwitz said to loud applause.

For his part, Bush recycled large portions of his standard stump speech, lauding his administration's record on terrorism, tax cuts and education. He also referred to a presidential campaign that's running at full throttle 14 months before the election."

Didn't he denounce political fundraisers while in office?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/27/1061663853788.html?from=storyrhs
"Aid agencies pull out as the coalition loses control
By Julian Borger in Washington
August 28, 2003

Humanitarian aid agencies say they are evacuating their workers from Iraq.

It is the latest sign that the security situation is slipping out of the United States-British coalition's control.

Oxfam said on Tuesday it had pulled out its staff following last week's truck bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, and as a result of continuing threats to relief workers.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), which stayed in Baghdad during the war, also announced it was reducing its presence there. So did Save the Children, which pulled out two of its four international workers, and cut local staff numbers.

The withdrawals came as the US death toll from the postwar occupation surpassed the number killed in the invasion itself. "

This is my Vietnam - to quote Pink

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4553.htm
"Viet Nam is far away from this quiet campus. We have no territory there, nor do we seek any. The war is dirty and brutal and difficult. And some 400 young men, born into an America that is bursting with opportunity and promise, have ended their lives, on Viet-Nam's steaming soil.

Why must we take this painful road?

Why must this Nation hazard its ease, and its interest, and its power for the sake of a people so far away?

We fight because we must fight if we are to live in a world where every country can shape its own destiny. And only in such a world will our own freedom be finally secure.... "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,7369,1029876,00.html

PM wants to end Japan's anti-war law

AP, Tokyo
Wednesday August 27, 2003
The Guardian

The Japanese government party is drawing up proposals to change the clause in the constitution which renounces war, a party official said yesterday.
The constitution was written by US occupation officials after Japan surrendered in the second world war.

Taku Yamasaki, secretary general of the Liberal Democrat party, said that Junichiro Koizumi, the prime minister and party president, had told party officials to compile the proposals in the next two years.

The clause banning the use of force to settle international disputes has long been debated in Japan. Most Japanese are wary of remilitarisation.

Yesterday Mr Koizumi said: "The self-defence forces are not a true military, they do not have the capability to fight. If you use your common sense, this not logical."

Now don't we make fine examples!

Another new development.

Rueters:
Report: New Iraq Tape Threatens Death to Council
Tue August 26, 2003 11:19 AM ET
DUBAI (Reuters) - An Arabic television station aired a videotaped warning from previously unheard-of Islamic groups in Iraq Tuesday threatening death to members of a U.S.-formed council and Iraqis who cooperate with U.S. troops.
"They formed this council to hurt the resistance (to occupation) and Iraqis. More than nine of its members do not have Iraqi nationality. Death to the spies and traitors, before the Americans," a masked man said on the tape, broadcast on Dubai-based Al Arabiya TV.

"Unfortunately, many Iraqis have got involved with them. We'll kill them first before we kill the Americans," he said, speaking in the name of three Iraqi groups: Islamic Jihad, Muslim Youth and the Iraqi Liberation Organization.

The U.S. administration in Iraq appointed an interim Governing Council after a U.S.-led war ousted former President Saddam Hussein in April.

But for our home turf this is a big reason for me. I don't understand anyone agreeing with this unless you personally profit from these organizations. He just burns my ass.

EPA MAKES CLEAN AIR EXEMPTIONS

By John Heilprin . AP
WASHINGTON (Aug. 27) - The Bush administration on Wednesday made it easier for thousands of older power plants, refineries and factories to avoid having to install costly clean air controls when they replace aging equipment.

In a major revision to its air pollution rules, the Environmental Protection Agency will allow up to 20 percent of the costs of replacing each plant's production system to be considered ``routine maintenance'' not requiring expensive anti-pollution controls, according to agency documents and interviews with EPA officials.

The new rule signed Wednesday by the EPA's acting administrator, Marianne L. Horinko, could be applied to about 17,000 facilities nationwide and culminates decades of debate over a controversial Clean Air Act program. Electric utilities and oil companies have been urging the White House to revise the program, saying the costs prohibit them from making energy-efficiency improvements.

The change represents a fundamental shift away from a long-problematic 1971 maintenance standard. ``We're going to really, I think, create certainty going forward for industrial facilities, by spelling out what specific replacement is exempt,'' Horinko told The Associated Press.

Environmentalists say the exemption will allow power plants in the Midwest and South to continue emitting millions of tons of pollutants that cause health problems for people living downwind, particularly in the Northeast.

New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer immediately threatened to sue the Bush administration in an effort he said would include other states. Spitzer and other attorneys general have already filed suits challenging earlier changes the administration made to the program.

``If allowed to stand, this flagrantly illegal rule will ensure that, under the watch of the Bush administration, Americans will breathe dirtier air, contract more respiratory disease and suffer more environmental degradation caused by air pollution,'' said Spitzer, a Democrat."

I'm sure many disagree with me but I had to get this out. I truly can't understand anyone agreeing wiht him except CEO's. :sad:

Scarletwine said:
the more I hate Dubyah and his administration.

When you hate, you lose.

Many reasons support why this is the worst Presidency in U. S. history.

I have a strong dislike for the NeoCons and the influence they have with this unqualified President.

When you come from a place of hate you are giving in to your emotions and lose the ability to make rational discussion. The best we can do is help people understand why supporting this Administration is not in their interests and especially not in the interest of their children and future generations. The Administrations policies are a betrayal to the great things this country has stood for in the past.

I don't *hate* Bush. I think many of his policies are naive and, uh, not exactly great. They can only do so much "nation-building" in a culture as different from us as Iraq. Iraq will be led by Islamic clerics, I think. As long as these leaders are not from the Wahhabist school of Islam that's OK with me. These are the kind of Moslems who insist on veiling women and such. This hand-picking of leaders for Iraq isn't working. Chalabi isn't popular. Why'd they insist on a guy who'd been busted in Jordan for a banking scandal? Can one imagine a busted CEO in the White House? No? Me either.

Last edited:
Re: Re: As more time passes

deep said:

When you come from a place of hate you are giving in to your emotions and lose the ability to make rational discussion. The best we can do is help people understand why supporting this Administration is not in their interests and especially not in the interest of their children and future generations. The Administrations policies are a betrayal to the great things this country has stood for in the past.

I don't think I've become irrational, just totally pissed off. This Admin is exactly a betrayal of the progress the US has made in the last 50 yrs. The greatest to me is tolerance of others. What I can no longer fathom is how average people can support him. Ignorance of his policies must be rampant. I am doing my bit on educating others about what is going on.

I tried to get my right-wing stepbrother to read 2 pages of Hightowers book on what Dubyah has done and he wouldn't even read it. He didn't want to have his perceptions of Bush challenged. How can you educate someone who doesn't want to know what is really going on?

I know people who can't imagine that Bush would ever make a mistake. I don't discuss politics with these people. They're not going to listen to any other points of view, so screw it. I don't like to waste my time. When Clinton was president I knew damn well he was screwing up on occasion. Sometimes even believers in democracy are a bit, shall we say, extremist.

Back
Top Bottom