Are WHITE lies the most SINFUL lies of all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
What do you think?

I was listening to a sermon online the other night, and the Pastor was making his case that society accepts the "white lie" but that the "white lie" is actually more harmful than any other.

Have you told white lies and regretted it?:eyebrow:

It depends on his definition of "white lie." As I ponder this question, I think he has a point. Where the white lie has its most danger is when the originator of the lie dies, and that lie is assumed to be true by future generations, who do not know the difference.

In fact, dare I say it, the Bible is full of white lies, written by those future generations who knew no differently. It makes discerning "the Truth" so much harder, and, perhaps, impossible.

Melon

melon said:
It depends on his definition of "white lie." As I ponder this question, I think he has a point. Where the white lie has its most danger is when the originator of the lie dies, and that lie is assumed to be true by future generations, who do not know the difference.

The mionister was talking about for example, telling someone that they look good...when they do not. In the long run you are actually doing more harm to the individual than good. If we love our brother as we love God, we would not tell even a white lie.

melon said:

In fact, dare I say it, the Bible is full of white lies, written by those future generations who knew no differently. It makes discerning "the Truth" so much harder, and, perhaps, impossible.

Melon

Explain on this one further please. I am curious about what you see as white lies in the Bible.

Adam and Eve. Considering there are two creation myths in Genesis, I would fathom to consider that they were invented on the spot. Genetics alone should prove why this is impossible.

We have our own cultural white lies involving Christmas and Easter traditions (I shan't mention, in case children are reading...), but, luckily, they were made in a time where we can trace the origins. But what about others that cannot be traced and cannot be disproved, merely by the preposterousness of the claim? That's the dilemma.

Melon

The "white lie" starts us down the road of calling sin "not sin". It is a great example, especially when you look at the Ten Commandments - the justifyable hate (murder), the justifyable stealing, etc.

The harm of the white lie may not be with others in a measurable fashion, but it certainly is before God.

But what about the intent behind the white lie? For instance, let's say you tell someone you love their new car or something when you really think it's hideous. But suppose they really worked hard to buy the car and they're very proud of it. Obviously something like taste in cars is subjective anyway, and by telling them that you frankly hate the car you'll only wound their happiness. By telling the "white lie," you value the person's sense of accomplishment and you protect their feelings.

This isn't true in all cases, I guess, but sometimes a white lie is born out of concern for the other person's sensitivity, and this to me is at least a semi-noble motivation.

I think the white lies that the minister speaks of are inconsequential. If I called him a reactionary religious fanatic, I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it. And if Presidents had not practiced a bit of restraint in dealing with the Soviet Union, I'm sure we would have been blown sky high decades ago.

I think the ones I speak of are far more dangerous. How unsurprising that the minister speaks of the inconsequential ones, while I think of the other first.

Melon

paxetaurora said:
But what about the intent behind the white lie? For instance, let's say you tell someone you love their new car or something when you really think it's hideous.

Then you would tell them that you think it is a great accomplishment to purchase a vehicle and that it shows a strong sense of responsibility....and you aren't lying :wave:

I'm more curious about partial truths. I read once (and I roughly paraphrase) that "a partial truth is still a truth, but when it is held to be the whole truth then it becomes a lie."

Back
Top Bottom