Are there Republicans in Australia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
In order to give everyone an equal opportunity of injury/survival in an auto accident, we should take away a choice that gives you a better chance of survival???

what if your better chance of survival results in a better chance of death to the people who aren't in your car?

nbcrusader said:
Sorry, if someone is going to hit me, I'd prefer to live. Or, at least have the opportunity to make that choice.

it's nice when you can afford an SUV.

too bad some people can't.

or someone, like me, doesn't even own a car and nearly gets wiped out by an SUV (with a big flippin' "W" sticker) while in a crosswalk.

nbcrusader said:
pedestrians face the same risks from econos

I'm confused. Did you bother to read the information posted earlier in the thread or are you just assuming that it's false? :huh:

bammo2 said:
Dangers to pedestrians:

Researchers from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Rowan University in America discovered that somebody hit by a large 4x4 vehicle would be more than twice as likely to die as someone hit by a normal sized car [2].

What makes 4x4s so dangerous to pedestrians?

· The point of impact on the body is higher if hit by a 4x4, meaning it is more likely to cause head and chest injuries, rather than leg and lower body injuries. This particularly applies to collisions involving children, due to the height of their head and chest.

...etc.

from http://www.brake.org.uk/index.php?p=267

sulawesigirl4 said:

I'm confused. Did you bother to read the information posted earlier in the thread or are you just assuming that it's false? :huh:

I read the information. It is a simple matter of playing with statistics. The article clearly recognizes that people hit by non-SUVs die as well. I don't find much comfort if someone says "don't worry, you'll be hit by a smaller car"

nbcrusader said:

And if you can afford a vehicle, you can afford an SUV

How does "twice as likely to die" actually translate into "the same risks"?

nbcrusader said:

And if you can afford a vehicle, you can afford an SUV

we paid around $4,000 dollars for my now dead (used) Toyota Corolla.

do you think i could get an SUV for the same amount?

so the answer, you posit, is that we all should drive SUVs?

oil doesn't grow on trees, you know ...

nbcrusader said:
Same risk of getting hit by a car.

I'm not sure the "security" in getting hit by a smaller car justifies a banning of SUVs.

no, not the banning, but it's just another reason why Satan drives an SUV.

;)

Theres a couple of articles I have read that confirm the higher risk of pedestrians when hit by SUV.

We´re not always talking about dying, but about injuries. What if an SUV hits a pedestrian with 20 mph? Compared to a Renault Twingo.

Irvine511 said:

no, not the banning, but it's just another reason why Satan drives an SUV.

;)

I wouldn't oppose banning really, I think the toll on traffic safety and the environment is too high. The difficulty lies with catagorizing SUVs unfortunately. For now I'm glad they tightened the laws on bullbars though. :up:

Perhaps as a start we could replace SUV airbags with rusty spikes to level the playing field. After all, SUV drivers would still face the same risks ask other drivers right (to have an accident that is...)?

A thing I forgot to say

(for those who complain that I´m not bashing my own country enough in relation to the United States):

Our fucking Ministry of Traffic has allowed 160 km/ hour instead of 130 km/ hour "on roads where the safety is not endangered because of that", i .e. cetrain highways.

Gorbach, the minister, is just another killer in his big fat Mercedes who has his Tempostat up at 160, like so many do. The mothers of the killed children will thank him.

I hope he dies in a car crash.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Our fucking Ministry of Traffic has allowed 160 km/ hour instead of 130 km/ hour "on roads where the safety is not endangered because of that", i .e. cetrain highways.

I guess for some people roads can actually be too safe. It's like these people are still living in the fifties. :|

DrTeeth said:

I guess for some people roads can actually be too safe. It's like these people are still living in the fifties. :|

Yep. You know, in the middle of the 90s we were the country with the highest car crash death average/ 1000 people in all the world.

In the last two years, the number has been going down slightly, very slightly (still at about 900 people per year, I think). And now? I fear it´s gonna rise again.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Yep. You know, in the middle of the 90s we were the country with the highest car crash death average/ 1000 people in all the world.

In the last two years, the number has been going down slightly, very slightly (still at about 900 people per year, I think). And now? I fear it´s gonna rise again.

No shit, it's like when it comes to traffic, people lose all rationality and common sense. I've actually heard people here say that we should increase the speed limit to counter traffic jams. :|

DrTeeth said:

No shit, it's like when it comes to traffic, people lose all rationality and common sense. I've actually heard people here say that we should increase the speed limit to counter traffic jams. :|

Yep. Thats because many "love" their car more than a family member (or at least, they care more about it).

I don´t know, I have never been a driver. But I have seen people so excited about a simple piece of transportation that it just amazes me. sure, some look hot. Sure, there´s something in driving through town, windows wide opened, with good music from the speakers. But they totally ignore that they constantly harm other people.

Imo this has to do with our society. The car, the car, the car. Most important when you´re 18 and wanna pick a chick for a ride.

The car has succesfully upheld the status the cigarette had not such a long time ago. It was cool to be a smoker, it is still cool to be a fast driver.

Not that there ain´t any fascination. Sure, I agree, I have my favourite cars and they´re all in the higher price regions. And so what?

It just pisses me off, that apparently no one cares. If there are thousands of deaths every year caused by .. whatever, disease, environment, drugs, etc. - we want to solve the problem (some in the society, at least). But thousands of deaths caused by driving? Well,.... what a pity.... we overlook it.

But lets build a new road! Lets destroy another piece of nature! Lets drive faster!

Last edited:
DrTeeth said:
I've actually heard people here say that we should increase the speed limit to counter traffic jams. :|

From a purely theoretical standpoint, as an object moves faster and approaches the speed of light, it becomes an infinite string of particles. Thus, faster objects are thinner - taking less room on the road. Good-bye traffic jams.

nbcrusader said:

From a purely theoretical standpoint, as an object moves faster and approaches the speed of light, it becomes an infinite string of particles. Thus, faster objects are thinner - taking less room on the road. Good-bye traffic jams.

are you an alumnus of the Starfleet Academy?

;)

Doesn't concience dictate to any 4WD owner that they are selfish pricks? Or is the theory that they have no concience perhaps true?

:hmm:

Irvine511 said:

*sigh*

that does sound heavenly.

SUVs are the embodiment of all that is wrong with the US; i am terribly sorry they are infecting your nation as well.

fight them with all your might.
The trusty 4x4 has a place in Australia, it is most definitely not in the cities and suburbs.

Back
Top Bottom