Anybody here think they understand end-times?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David the Great

Babyface
'Cause I'm very confused.

Interested in hearing what all different people have to say on the mattter - but I was particularly thinking of the book of Revelation.

Pre-millenialism, post-millenialism, amillenialism. What does it all mean and what's your view?

Well, I'm a pre-milleniast myself. i do believe that the Church will be raptured before the 7 years of great tribulation. But if I'm wrong, being wrong about that issue won't shake my faith, because I know that God will always be with me. I believe we are getting to teh end times, for sure. I see no way out of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I think this is a huge step toward Armageddeon (sp?). Anti-Semitisim is really growing in Europe again, and I think that is also a sign. I also see the European Union and the International Criminal Court as pre-cursors to the One World Government.

So you'd believe that Armaggedon is a literal battle that is going to take place in the future?

I don't have strong view on this issue. I'm just interested in what other people think.

In some ways I do think it matters. The rapture idea seems a little bit too triumphalist. I know it's in the bible - but it's a matter of interpretation, isn't it? So many scriptures to balance. Daniel, the Gospels, Psalms, Revelation, Isaiah etc. etc.

What if the deception isn't on people who aren't waiting for Jesus, but for those who are - which is more likely. Satan tricks people into not impacting the world around them by saying it's a waste of time and that they are going to be teleported out, anyway?

Do you get my drift? Like I said - I don't have strong views- except I do believe it's important to ask questions here. I'd be more inclined to get involved with the world around me at the risk of being wrong (since I feel that this is where the Holy Spirit is leading me, anyway!) rather that stepping back and waiting for the big kaboom.

So the question I suppose is really - are christians to huddle in expectation or to march out and deal with the world as they see it? It is a pretty important question, don't you think - but kind of hard to answer.

Originally posted by David the Great:
So the question I suppose is really - are christians to huddle in expectation or to march out and deal with the world as they see it? It is a pretty important question, don't you think - but kind of hard to answer.
Regardless of what he/she believes about the tribulation, the Bible makes it clear that Jesus will return one day, and it will be in a triumphant manner, so we do have that to look forward to, at least. However, I think that a Christian that does nothing but sit and wait for such an event is of no earthly good to the Lord. I think all Christins should bw out trying to impact the world positively for the Lord.

I know enough to know that anyone who claims to understand the end times will likely be proven wrong by God.

The Pharisees had the first coming wrong, and I have a feeling we'll have the second coming wrong as well.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

And of course there was Bob Marley's understanding of the end times, from One Love/People Get Ready:

Let's all get together to fight this holy Armageddon
So when the Man comes there will be no one doomed
Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner
There ain't no hiding place from the father of creation

Nice thought - but if redemption is getting right with God, you can't force someone to do that can you?

That's the argument I've heard, anyway. If there wasn't a hell there'd be no free will.

But I suppose if you see rebellion against God as a sickness then...we can all be made whole.

Something worth thinking about though and I like the question Bob's asking with the song.

Also there's a song called 'America' by a christian band called delirious that ends with the line:

'Everybody come on
It's time to sing a new song
You don't have to believe to belong.'

I'll be honest with you - the idea of us all sitting around being nice to each other doesn't really sit well with me. I want a war! Don't know if that's my wicked nature or the Spirit of God. Probably the latter.

'Everybody come on
It's time to sing a new song
You don't have to believe to belong.'
B]

I don't even know what that means...what does it mean?

I think a discussion about the biblical end-times should be taken seriously.

This attitude you seem to have about not really caring yet wanting to know is really appalling to me. Why would I want to share with you the meaning of the biblical end-times when you don't care one way or the other. It's like trying to save a drowning man who wants to die.

Melon, is right...God will prove who REALLY knows the meaning of anything.

Originally posted by ]{arao]{e:
I think a discussion about the biblical end-times should be taken seriously.

This attitude you seem to have about not really caring yet wanting to know is really appalling to me. Why would I want to share with you the meaning of the biblical end-times when you don't care one way or the other. It's like trying to save a drowning man who wants to die.
I'm curious...who are you referring to? I couldn't find a post by anyone who said they don't care.

I don't have strong view on this issue. I'm just interested in what other people think.

In some ways I do think it matters.

Like I said - I don't have strong views- except I do believe it's important to ask questions here.

I appreciate that you're asking this question. However, this forum has never and will never lead ANYONE honestly interested in a truthful answer. If you are seriously interested in the TRUTH about the end-times and not just everyones opinion (everyone being different)then read the Bible. Specifically Matthew 24. It goes into DETAIL about the signs of the end of THIS system of things. It is what is commonly referred to as a prophecy. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or MELON to figure out from personal study of the HOLY BIBLE (whatever copy you may have) that we are NOW living in the end-times. You can also compare 2 Timothy 3 which is a very good example of how the HOLY SCRIPTURES are a reliable source of true information. Please, please, please do not just rely on someone's opinion or interpretation of the scriptures.

I'm glad we don't have drivers arguing over what STOP signs mean just arguing over WHEN they should have stopped.

Originally posted by ]{arao]{e:
You don't have to be a rocket scientist or MELON

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm chuckling over this right now...
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

It's obvious it's the end times...

what cinched it for me was seeing BONO on this morning's news with Bill Gates who is contributing 1 billion dollars for nutritional relief in the 3rd world.
Two things you can GET from this:

1)God is literally "rocking" the nations
2)There's definitely a famine problem

I'm going with #2.
smile.gif

Money never saved anyone from death.

Billy is currently being prosecuted in the courts. The whole deal is to TRY and make him look less greedy.

Boner is currently debating what's more important; saving the world or saving the music industry.

biggrin.gif

]{arao]{e - The words 'you're a bloody idiot' spring to mind suddenly - I think it's from Jesus. And I don't think it's for me.

Melon said it well "I know enough to know that anyone who claims to understand the end times will likely be proven wrong by God.
The Pharisees had the first coming wrong, and I have a feeling we'll have the second coming wrong as well."

That's good thinking. Yours isn't.

[This message has been edited by David the Great (edited 05-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by David the Great (edited 05-11-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom