Anti-male prejudice / bigotry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This hardly classifies as discrimination. It's a plane ride, for Pete's sake. It's not having any affect on you or how you lead your life. The airline is acting on presumptions and they may be offending some of their male passengers, but they are not in any way practising discrimination. And the reality is that a man traveling alone is far more likely to be a potential danger to a child than a woman is. This is probably the best way the airline could come up with to prevent themselves from being involved in giving a possible child-molestor access to a child alone.

Organizations that teach child safety tell parents to instruct their kids that, if they ever get lost and they can't find a police officer, then they should approach a woman (preferably an older woman) for help. They should never approach a man alone. Is this discrimination? No. Unfortunately, it's just common sense in today's world.

melon said:

Probably because I am. Living in the United States these days doesn't inspire optimism.

Melon

Another reason why I maybe would have problems to live in the U.S. is because in the clubs men are not allowed to shake their ass. They can´t dance like they want to because they get remarks for being gay!

Fuckin´ rednecks :mad:

You would like it here. We have a place called pink purple villa. Ooooh yeah.

Zootomic said:
And the reality is that a man traveling alone is far more likely to be a potential danger to a child than a woman is.

Really ? Care to distribute the memo ?

Zootomic said:
This hardly classifies as discrimination. It's a plane ride, for Pete's sake. It's not having any affect on you or how you lead your life.

Yeah, just like in the 1950's when it was JUST a bus ride. For Pete's sake.

:|

:wink:

U2Scot said:

Really ? Care to distribute the memo ?
How about you read a newspaper sometime? It's a fact that female sexual predators acting on their own are extremely rare.

XHendrix24 said:

Yeah, just like in the 1950's when it was JUST a bus ride. For Pete's sake.

:|

If you actually think that an airline's attempts to make travel more safe for a child compares to the kind of open racial hatred that was prevalent in the southern US in the fifties (and still is in some areas), then you have some serious growing up to do.

Zootomic said:
If you actually think that an airline's attempts to make travel more safe for a child compares to the kind of open racial hatred that was prevalent in the southern US in the fifties (and still is in some areas), then you have some serious growing up to do.

How about you lose the pompous attitude and lighten up a bit instead of getting wound up over an obvious joke? :huh:

melon said:

Homosexuals are regularly told (either implicitly or explicitly) to "wait their turn." "The public isn't ready."

Well, maybe "the public isn't ready" for having children left next to heterosexual men. You all might be child molesters, you know.

Melon

Er... where does the article say anything about "heterosexual" men? It's talking about banning -men- without specifying sexual orientation. So it applies to homosexuals as well as heterosexuals.

Saracene said:
Er... where does the article say anything about "heterosexual" men? It's talking about banning -men- without specifying sexual orientation. So it applies to homosexuals as well as heterosexuals.

No laws ever apply solely to heterosexual males. I'm just happy that they have to deal with an inconvenience, for once. They certainly love to dish them out, but they sure whine like a hyena the few times they have to take 'em!

Melon

Zootomic said:

How about you read a newspaper sometime? It's a fact that female sexual predators acting on their own are extremely rare.

Different topic now eh ? I hav eyet to read of one man molesting a child traveling alone who sat next to him on an airplane.

Still, given that men are more likely to be sexual predators, using your logic no man should ever be in any social situation where a child is alone with him anywhere anytime anyhow.

i happen to have four twelve year old girls at my house right now and i asked them, if they were flying alone, would they feel more comfortable being seated next to a man or a woman. they all said a woman - and they said it as if i were crazy for even thinking they would say otherwise.

so, either these four girls are anti-male, prejudiced biggots, or they are just simply more comfortable around women they don't know than men.

I think that there are more serious issues where the burden is stacked against men, the family court comes to mind and issues of sexual harassment and rape allegations. These are areas where women are predominantly victims to be sure but that creates an inherent bias against men that seems to fail many a good man.

This article deals with another which is the change in ratio in some areas of higher education.
In the 1990s, I taught for six years at a small liberal arts college in Spokane, Wash. In my third year, I started noticing something that was happening right in front of me. There were more young women in my classes than young men, and on average, they were getting better grades than the guys. Many of the young men stared blankly at me as I lectured. They didn't take notes as well as the young women. They didn't seem to care as much about what I taught -- literature, writing and psychology. They were bright kids, but many of their faces said, "Sitting here, listening, staring at these words -- this is not really who I am."

That was a decade ago, but just last month, I spoke with an administrator at Howard University in the District. He told me that what I observed a decade ago has become one of the "biggest agenda items" at Howard. "We are having trouble recruiting and retaining male students," he said. "We are at about a 2-to-1 ratio, women to men."

Howard is not alone. Colleges and universities across the country are grappling with the case of the mysteriously vanishing male. Where men once dominated, they now make up no more than 43 percent of students at American institutions of higher learning, according to 2003 statistics, and this downward trend shows every sign of continuing unabated. If we don't reverse it soon, we will gradually diminish the male identity, and thus the productivity and the mission, of the next generation of young men, and all the ones that follow.
link

Of course that trend isn't holding in some of the more technical courses such as computer science and engineering. From my experience the ratios of women to men are highest in Psychology and Biology, around equal in Geoscience which is interesting, and lowest in your computer science etc.

Perhaps some of the noted declines in this is a result of the drop in male teachers and strong male role models in general :hmm:

Incidently did anybody here do scouts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom