Anthony Sciubba and God, censorship gone too far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Was the school's action wrong or right ?

• You shouldn't talk about God and God shouldn't be mentioned in the school year book.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • The school was wrong in altering this studen't bio in the year book, and if he wants to mention God,

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • I love diamondbruno threads.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • diamondbruno is an absurd spectacle, somtimes amusing, sometimes mindless, but always entertaining

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
‘God’ stripped from Higley High yearbook

Associated Press

An honors student at Higley High School is asking administrators for an explanation after the word “God” was edited out of his biography in the school’s yearbook.

Anthony Sciubba was one of 13 seniors to receive a special full-page tribute in the yearbook, which was distributed Tuesday.

The text accompanying a photo of Sciubba, shown wearing his letter jacket and holding a Bible, said that he owed all of his success “to others.” But Sciubba said he specifically credited God.

He later was told by Higley’s yearbook faculty adviser that God could not be printed because of concerns over separation of church and state.

Sciubba said he met Wednesday with Higley’s vice principal and was told that the school would consult with lawyers on the matter.

Sciubba, 18, plans to study theology at Pepperdine University and hopes to become a doctor and Christian missionary.

martha said:
The school is wrong. The "separation of church and state" is about state-sponsored religion. This is one individual kid, who has a Constitutional right to express his religion.
:hmm:

Isn't 'separation of church and state' in the US Constitution, I think I heard that on Air America, The View or somewhere?

dbs

martha said:
The school is wrong. The "separation of church and state" is about state-sponsored religion. This is one individual kid, who has a Constitutional right to express his religion.
Who is paying for the publication of the yearbook? What are the acceptable bounds of promoting agendas and beliefs within such sanctioned pieces?

Secularism is neither promotion or persecution of religious belief by the state, not merely stopping state sanctioned religion. Having tax dollars printing an ad for how great God is to somebody is stepping that line.

Last edited:
Student wants to know why 'God' edited from yearbook

Doug Carroll
The Arizona Republic

May. 16, 2007 03:24 PM
A Higley High School senior claims that God was edited out of his biography in the school's yearbook, prompting him to seek an explanation from the school on Wednesday.

Anthony Sciubba, 18, an honors student and athlete who plans to become a doctor and Christian missionary someday, was one of 13 seniors to receive a special full-page tribute in the yearbook, which was distributed Tuesday. Students selected for the tribute were nominated by teachers at the Gilbert school.

The text accompanying a photo of Sciubba, shown wearing his letter jacket and holding a Bible, reads that "according to Sciubba, he owed all of his success to others."

Sciubba said that he specifically credited God but was told Tuesday by Jennifer Wojtulewicz, the yearbook's faculty adviser, that "God" could not be printed because of concerns over separation of church and state.

Sciubba said he met Wednesday morning with Shannon Hannon, the school's vice principal, and was told that the school would consult with lawyers on the matter.

"I couldn't imagine a more understanding person," Sciubba said of Hannon. "She understands why I'm doing this. It's not out of spite. It's because I couldn't say what I wanted to say through the yearbook."

Wojtulewicz said the photo and text make clear Sciubba's priorities, mentioning his participation in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and his intention to study theology at Pepperdine University, a Christian school. She noted that a paid advertisement in the back of the book, placed by Sciubba's parents, mentions God and Jesus Christ.

She also said that Sciubba had been told in advance by the yearbook's two student editors-in-chief that his bio would contain no references to God.

"As the adviser, I make decisions based on the entire student body," Wojtulewicz said. "I have students of all religious backgrounds, and it's hard to publicize one or another."

The yearbook "didn't misquote him," she said. "I tried to still reflect that he's strong in his faith."

Sciubba ranks fourth in the senior class and carries a grade-point average of 4.6. This week, he was one of 27 students in the Southeast Valley to receive a $2,500 college scholarship from Ronald McDonald House Charities of Phoenix. He also has received a $10,000 award from Toyota.

"All these great things have happened to me, but it's all from God," Sciubba said. "I don't want people to be scared to talk about this. I ask other Christians why they never talk about their faith, and they say they feel they can't do that.

"God is a controversial figure, and people say that because of that, I can't give credit to him."

If God wanted his name in the yearbook
he would put it there

oh ye
of little faith

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
Here's yer Amendment.

The kids pay for their yearbooks themselves.

I think he was within his rights to do this. I think if the school forbade it, they may have a Constitutional problem. If the school only allowed Christians to put God into the yearbook, they'd have a problem; if they only forbade Christians, they'd have a probelm.

Let's just hope he abides by the University's guidelines
and accepts what God has allowed them to offer him

instead of whining about it.

Wojtulewicz said the photo and text make clear Sciubba's priorities, mentioning his participation in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and his intention to study theology at Pepperdine University, a Christian school. She noted that a paid advertisement in the back of the book, placed by Sciubba's parents, mentions God and Jesus Christ.

She also said that Sciubba had been told in advance by the yearbook's two student editors-in-chief that his bio would contain no references to God.

"As the adviser, I make decisions based on the entire student body," Wojtulewicz said. "I have students of all religious backgrounds, and it's hard to publicize one or another."

The yearbook "didn't misquote him," she said. "I tried to still reflect that he's strong in his faith."

deep said:
Let's just hope he abides by the University's guidelines
and accepts what God has allowed them to offer him

instead of whining about it.

School apologizes:

Higley schools: 'God' omission a mistake
Doug Carroll
The Arizona Republic
May. 18, 2007 11:42 AM

Higley Unified School District administration has acknowledged that a mistake was made in disallowing any mention of God to be included in the yearbook profile of Higley High senior Anthony Sciubba.

Sciubba, 18, an honors student and athlete who plans to become a doctor and Christian missionary, said the word "God" had been intentionally omitted from his biography against his wishes.

The yearbook's faculty adviser said that it was a matter of separation of church and state, but added that the profile gave a clear indication of Sciubba's faith, mentioning his membership in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and picturing him holding a Bible.

However, on Thursday the district said in a brief statement that "the word 'God' should not have been taken out. It was a mistake for which we sincerely apologize."

The remainder of the statement said, "We teach our students character, and we work to model good character as adults. It is both regrettable and unfortunate that an opportunity to validate a young man's character and beliefs was passed by."

Sciubba said Friday that he did not request such an apology and was taken by surprise.

"I love Higley High and I appreciate them," he said. "They've always been supportive of me practicing my faith. This speaks to the awesome character of the school.

"I thank the leaders of the school and the district for this."

martha said:

Here's yer Amendment.

The kids pay for their yearbooks themselves.

I think he was within his rights to do this. I think if the school forbade it, they may have a Constitutional problem. If the school only allowed Christians to put God into the yearbook, they'd have a problem; if they only forbade Christians, they'd have a probelm.

and there are lots of things that school's do not allow

think "right to bear arms"

"rights to assemble"

and so forth

the yearbook has guidelines for all the students

and he was told this up front

his parents put God and Jesus in

whine, whine, whine

don't you think we should?

if we are going to care about Anthony Sciubba not being able to freely express his religious convictions in every venue available?

deep said:

and next they will be building foot baths and offering prayer rugs :up:

Are you serious?

You really can't differentiate between a student being able to express his personal beliefs and school sponsored and taxpayer funded foot baths and prayer rugs?

Come on now, you're just giving ammunition to the right wing fundies.

For every school that improperly denies student religious expression, there's at least 10 that improperly ban "Gay-Straight Alliances."

Once that ratio is narrowed, I'll start caring more about this thread topic.

maycocksean said:

Are you serious?

You really can't differentiate between a student being able to express his personal beliefs and school sponsored and taxpayer funded foot baths and prayer rugs?

After reading all of this discussion, I think this is right on. The school was wrong to change it, especially considering he paid for the ad. The word God isn't vulgar, it's someone's faith. And deep, with all due respect, it sounds like there's more whining coming from the other side. He has every right to express his faith. This fear of conflicting with the separation of church and state is so absurd these days. Martha's right in her points. And why is it that he's a Christian, it's turning into a political discussion. What if he said "Buddha," instead of "God"? I have a tendency to think people would be up in arms here in FYM, as they should be. I would be against that, too. I know the teacher said there's many different religions, so he wanted to take all spiritual references out, but that's not right either. It's an important part of everyone's life, so why edit it – especially if they paid for it! And A_Wanderer, as far as the yearbooks being paid with tax dollars – as far as I know, at least locally here, that's PTO money, locally raised funds and local advertising dollars. Maybe it's not the case with this, but I know it is here. It's not funded by the state.

Back
Top Bottom