Andrea Yates verdict is in - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2002, 03:48 AM   #41
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 08:55 AM
What Andrea Yates did was clearly wrong but society would be much better served by her being confined to a mental institution for the rest of her life. Prison is not the answer for someone who is clearly that dillusional.

I have a mentally ill stepdaughter so I know what its like to try and deal with someone who is not in the same reality as the rest of us. When my daughter hears the voices in her head, those voices are real to her and nothing anyone says or does will convince her otherwise. When she sees people outside in the bushes waiting to kill her, nothing we say will convince her that no one is there. And, just like Andrea Yates, she lives with a man who thinks he can bring her back to reality his own way, without the help of trained professionals. When she has an episode and lashes out at him, she ends up in jail instead of a treatment facility where she needs to be. And I can honestly say that each time she has landed in jail, she has slipped just a little further out of reality. We as her family have tried and tried to get her the help she clearly needs but her "boyfriend" always steps in and convinces her that we want to "lock her way forever" and has even threatened us with legal action if we try to force her.

As the sane, lucid one, Rusty Yates should have done everything in his power to prevent any further pregnancys. And as her husband, it was his responsibility to make sure she took her medication and continued to receive treatment or he should have made sure she was never alone with the children.

I understand that their religious beliefs had a part in this tragedy but that is no excuse for letting a mentally ill woman continue to give birth again and again.

She needs help. God will decide the rest.