...and just when you thought Jerry Falwell couldn't sink any lower...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Jerry Falwell Tries To Cash In On Controversy
TV Preacher's Ministry Sends Out Fund-Raising Appeal Exploiting His Controversial Tirade Over Terrorist Attacks

WASHINGTON - October 22 - Although TV preacher Jerry Falwell claims to have apologized for his infamous remarks about the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, his ministry has sent a fund-raising letter to donors recasting his statements in a positive light and depicting him as a victim of the news media "wolf pack" and "liberal lies."

In an Oct. 4 appeal for funds, Jerry Falwell Ministries accuses "liberals, and especially gay activists" of launching "a vicious smear campaign to discredit him." It says Falwell is "being roundly vilified by the news media for remarks he made in a TV interview while calling for spiritual revival in America."

The letter, signed by Falwell's son Jonathan, compares Falwell to biblical heroes such as the Prophet Jeremiah and Queen Esther and says, "Liberals of all stripes, especially in the media, have seized on this opportunity to trash dad's deeply held Christian beliefs and to literally attack him day and night."

"It seems that Satan has launched a hail of fiery darts at dad recently," writes Jonathan Falwell. "He needs to know you still support him. Please return the enclosed Vote of Confidence Reply Card right away in the envelope I have provided within the next 5 days?.And with your card, please remember to include a special Vote of Confidence gift for Jerry Falwell of at least $50 or even $100 along with your signed card." [emphasis added]

Falwell's critics say the fund-raising letter is a new low.

"This is truly outrageous," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. "Falwell has gone from apologizing for his hateful remarks to trying to cash in on them.

"I thought Falwell couldn't sink much lower than he did in his vicious remarks after the Sept. 11 tragedy," continued Lynn. "But this fund-raising letter is indeed a new low."

On Sept. 13, Falwell went on TV preacher Pat Robertson's "700 Club" program to discuss the terrorist attacks. With Robertson's concurrence, Falwell blamed the events on judges who uphold church-state separation, abortion rights activists, gay people, civil liberties activists and others who are "trying to secularize America."

Said Falwell, "I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this [the terrorist attack] happen.'"

When a wave of intense national criticism erupted, Robertson blamed the episode on Falwell. Falwell initially tried to explain away the remarks, saying they were taken out of context. Finally, however, he issued a full apology, going on ABC's "Good Morning America" Sept. 20 to admit the tirade was "stupid" and "indefensible."

The Falwell fund-raising letter says donations to his ministry have plummeted in recent days and claims "we have lost more than $500,000 in income since the terrorist attacks."

It complains that "even some Christian friends have remained silent while dad has faced the media wolf pack alone." In a P.S., it concludes, "[P]lease let Jerry Falwell know you don't believe the media distortions being spread about him."

--------------------

My God...how much worse can this "Christian" get? I really hope that people now see him for the evil man he is, who, in his attempt to epitomize the Christian Right, he is neither Christian nor right. He, and people like him, are truly the Taliban of Christianity.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
My God...how much worse can this "Christian" get? I really hope that people now see him for the evil man he is, who, in his attempt to epitomize the Christian Right, he is neither Christian nor right. He, and people like him, are truly the Taliban of Christianity.

He's a disgrace to the Christians I know, in the same boat as the Praise the Lord network that extorted millions from their viewers. It just makes me sick. For his son to go on and shed a tear for dear old pop is ludicrous. Gee, makes me want to whip out the world's violin and play the world's saddest song and shed a few tears for Jerry Falwell whose been fed to the wolves.

Bah! What a joke.

Melon:

Believe it or not, my Methodist minister went on a tirade against Falwell and Robertson last week, asking them WHERE in the Bible Jesus says anything that resembles what they said after 9-11.

I urge everyone to direct their donations to a higher cause than that of "Reverend" Falwell.

~U2Alabama

"It seems that Satan has launched a hail of fiery darts at dad recently," writes Jonathan Falwell. "He needs to know you still support him. Please return the enclosed Vote of Confidence Reply Card right away in the envelope I have provided within the next 5 days?.And with your card, please remember to include a special Vote of Confidence gift for Jerry Falwell of at least $50 or even $100 along with your signed card." [emphasis added]

Ugh.

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

"I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell's ass."

--Senator Barry Goldwater
, when asked what he thought of Jerry Falwell's suggestion that all good Christians should be against Sandra Day O'Connor's nomination to the Supreme Court

If you want to read the words of a TRUELY AUTHENTIC Christian, check out this Anti-Falwell website:
fallwell.com

------------------
-------------------------------------------

"I have a brother, when I'm a brother in need. I spend my whole time running. He spends his running after me."

[This message has been edited by A|catura (edited 10-23-2001).]

falwell is a moron who gives decent christians a bad name. Even Rush Limbaugh denounced his actions, which ought to tell you something. I think it is kind of funny that he is so trashy. He reminds me of Oral Roberts back in the 80's asking for a bunch of $$$ by a certain date or GOD was going to "take Him".

I bet Edgar J Hoover was Falwell's idol... but instead of cross-dressing, Falwell likes to pretend he's the purple Teletubbie, and he gots the costume to prove it... Hahahaha

------------------
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on." - Stairway to Heaven, Zoso: Led Zeppelin

My God...how much worse can this "Christian" get? I really hope that people now see him for the evil man
he is, who, in his attempt to epitomize the Christian Right, he is neither Christian nor right. He, and people
like him, are truly the Taliban of Christianity.

No arguements here. Well said, Melon

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Oh, sh**. I just can't take much more from t.v. preachers & extreme fundamentalists (from ANY religion!). I was raised in a strict fundamentalist background, & have seen that most of those hard-core extreme right-wingers don't have a clue about Christian love & sacrifice. (I know I don't have much of a clue about love & sacrifice, either, but....I am not on television as a "preacher").

To them, Christianity seems to be ONLY about judging the sins & wrongs of others. This was not Christ's biggest emphasis! The best analogy that He mentioned on this subject would be "pull the plank out of your own eye first, then you can see to help pull the speck out of your brother's eye"---or something like that.

I'm just fed-up with these overly-wealthy televangelists---let me emphasize that: these guys aren't million-selling rock stars, they're supposed to be ministers but they're friggin' MILLIONaires taking money from the well intentioned poor.

Give some of that money back to the poor & maybe I'll listen to you talk about gays, abortionists, liberals, etc.

sorry for the rant

Originally posted by bonofnattic:
I'm just fed-up with these overly-wealthy televangelists---let me emphasize that: these guys aren't million-selling rock stars, they're supposed to be ministers but they're friggin' MILLIONaires taking money from the well intentioned poor.

"Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash MISTER!" ....Where's Bono when you need him?

'Sorry to say that you were lost'.

Thats alright, I didn't really believe you when you said that, anyway. I don't think I'm lost, and the moment someone tells me the opposite I tell them that it must be difficult to hear when their heads are stuck up their rear-ends.

Still, having said that, what DO YOU mean with that sweeiping statement? Are you agreeing with all this, and hence think that we are all 'damned' if we don't believe it too? Please explain your statement. I am almost too keen to pounce on your argument, but I am forced to confess that I do not know what you mean.

Ant.

Anyone can be called "Reverend." In fact, you don't need any education at all. I can become a reverend if I so very wish.

And, you know, maybe I will.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

"Reverend" Melon:

I've noticed that too. It seems that anyone who runs for political office in Birmingham, Alabama has the title "Reverend" before their name, yet if you read their bios, their professions are "school teacher," "insurance" or some other secular profession, but no mention of what church they preach at, if any.

I've often wondered where "Reverend" Al Sharpton preaches.

~U2Alabama (not eve a deacon or diaconal minister)

I DO NOT agree with Rev Falwell's thinking. His thinking that if you are gay, pro abortion, or any liberal thinking that you are damned to hell, or a lost soul. My religion teaches unconditional love by God. In no way am I fundamentalist or think that way.

thanks for clarifying, tiny dancer. it was confusing as you worded it.

gao
mad.gif

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

One of my best friends, named Patti Haney, has a voice that can easily compete with that of Sandi Patty. She had a good shot at being on the 700 Club. However, they told her that, in order to be on there, she had to lose weight!! She basically told them that if they don't like the way she looks, then they can do without her.

That turned me off of the 700 Club/Jerry Falwell. Almost 20 years later, he is still making an idiot of himself. And like father like son. Looks like his son is following in his footsteps. They do make Christians in general look bad to those who generalize all Christians by what they see on TV.

That comparison of Jerry Falwell to the Taliban is a good one!!!

As for donating money...he sure ain't getting mine!! I've already donated to the Red Cross, so there!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

[This message has been edited by MysteryGirl (edited 10-26-2001).]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom