An Inconvenient Electric Bill - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Local Time: 10:18 PM
combining them into one would have saved electricity

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:18 AM
well, if those numbers are true, gore does have a credibility problem.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
well, if those numbers are true, gore does have a credibility problem.
Al Gore pays for offsets. He's talked about them quite a bit if you've gotten to see him live. I'm not sure why it wasn't included in the documentary, because it has been part of his lecture series.

This is another swiftboating attempt.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Al Gore pays for offsets. He's talked about them quite a bit if you've gotten to see him live. I'm not sure why it wasn't included in the documentary, because it has been part of his lecture series.

This is another swiftboating attempt.
Defending a hypocrite?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #25
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Defending a hypocrite?
I don't think you should call him a hypocrite. The awareness he's raised due to his speaking and movie more than offset the amount of electricity he uses. You want him to work by candle light? Then he'd get in troule for sending phosphourous into the atmosphere from the matches. Give the guy a break <-- and this coming from someone that doesn't really like Gore.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yes but he uses more energy than a regular household. Maybe he should down size and live in middle class neighborhood and be with the people.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #27

Quote:
yes but he uses more energy than a regular household. Maybe he should down size and live in middle class neighborhood and be with the people.
Maybe the middle class people should downsize and live in the lower class neighborhoods to be with the people. They can splice power from the street lights. Think of all the seals we could save!
Old 02-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I swear I don't get some of you. You go around and bash the fuck out of Bush. Gore who is going around slamming the administration about it's lack of doing something to stop global warming uses 20times more energy than a regular house hold. And he still complains about the war in iraq, while that oil lights his house at 30 grand a month.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I swear I don't get some of you. You go around and bash the fuck out of Bush. Gore who is going around slamming the administration about it's lack of doing something to stop global warming uses 20times more energy than a regular house hold. And he still complains about the war in iraq, while that oil lights his house at 30 grand a month.

but even if Gore is a hypocrite, that doesn't mean he's wrong about global warming and it doesn't negate the good work he's done spreading awareness.

i don't think the comparison to bashing Bush holds water in this particular situation. i think it makes more sense to compare the people who are bashing Gore over this to the people who bash Bono for advocating debt relief and then moving many of U2's assets into the relative tax haven of The Netherlands when part of Irish taxes are used for things like African debt relief and charitable giving.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Is Al Gore's electric bill costing any American or Iraqi his or her life?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #31

Uhhh....where did I bash Bush?

And I said before, I don't particularly like Gore, I didn't vote for him in 2000. What's going on here is a personal attack of the guy because they can't disprove his science.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...printstory.jsp
Quote:
Al Gore visits Berkeley, charges up Prop. 87 rally
SAYS MEASURE TO FUND GREEN ENERGY HELPS TACKLE CLIMATE CRISIS
By Rick Jurgens
MediaNews

Former Vice President Al Gore appeared in Berkeley on Monday to lend his celebrity and reputation as a crusader against global warming to a measure on California's Nov. 7 ballot that would tax oil companies to raise $4 billion for green energy projects.

``I'm here to change peoples' minds on the climate crisis and to support Prop 87,'' Gore called to a group of reporters after he emerged from the ``100 miles per gallon'' Toyota Prius that brought him to a noontime rally in a sun-drenched park behind Berkeley's City Hall.

His motorcade also included three motorcycles, two limousines and a Dodge Ram 1500 light duty truck.

Gore, flanked by signs proclaiming Yes on 87 and promoting the Web site of a Berkeley company that installs solar energy systems, spoke to hundreds of supporters who had passed between metal barriers and gathered in front of speakers pulsating rock and reggae music.

Organizers estimated the crowd at 3,000. Police at the scene had no estimate.

Like a candidate delivering a stump speech, Gore ranged over a wide political terrain in his 24-minute speech. He compared those who have denied the threat posed by greenhouse gas emissions and climate change to those who ignored warnings before Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans.

Gore likened the global-warming crisis to having a sick child: No responsible parent would delay treatment once a diagnosis is rendered, he said.

Proposition 87 would tax oil companies for oil they take from California, raising about $4 billion for use in developing alternative energy sources with a goal of reducing the state's dependence on gas and diesel by 25 percent within 10 years.

It's backed by environmental, health and other groups who say it will reduce foreign-oil dependence while nurturing cleaner energy and mitigating global warming. California is the only oil-producing state without such a drilling tax, they note, but the measure's foes -- funded mostly by San Ramon-based Chevron and other oil companies -- say the state already puts property, sales and other taxes on oil.

No on 87 campaign spokesman Nick DeLuca attended Gore's speech and later Monday said it underscored the ``split between the big picture and the actual initiative.'' Oil companies, business groups and other opponents of the measure agree on reducing foreign-oil dependence and stopping global warming, he said, but the measure poses problems: a tax that would decrease domestic production and increase foreign-oil imports, and a new bureaucracy exempt from competitive bidding and some conflict-of-interest rules.

Oil companies, which face the loss of profits from hundreds of California oil wells, had ponied up $73 million through last Friday to attack Proposition 87 with an advertising barrage that argues that the tax would increase fuel prices.

Chevron, the state's largest oil producer, had kicked in $30 million. Supporters of Proposition 87 said Chevron wrote an additional $5 million check on Monday. The company did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

Proposition 87's supporters have stayed in the fight, largely on the strength of an unprecedented $40 million contribution from a Hollywood producer and real estate heir Stephen Bing. Gore acknowledged Bing's presence at Monday's rally, but he did not speak.
Quote:
His motorcade also included three motorcycles, two limousines and a Dodge Ram 1500 light duty truck.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The problem I have with Bush is that his idea of "Clean Burning Fuel" is Coal...

At least Gore is pushing something remotely green, and I've said it before, I would rather be a hypocrite than someone who doesn't give a shit at all... *cough*Bush*cough*

I'm just waiting for Noel Galagher or Win Butler to slag Gore now
Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Didn't Al Gore say at the Oscars that it's not a political issue? I think he was either drunk or he's doing some naive wishful thinking. Republicans are certainly making it a political issue, and against a guy who says he's not even going to run.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Well if he is shelling out 30 grand a month to heat his home then yes.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well if he is shelling out 30 grand a month to heat his home then yes.
How?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Laurie David is another "Gulfstream liberal", jetting from coast to coast in a private G200 to preach about the evils of you and I driving a SUV.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

How?
what do you mean how?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

not directly, but i would say that our reliance upon Middle Eastern oil does.

after all, we get repeated defenses in FYM of any action in the Middle East as being only about oil, and how necessary that oil is to things like global stability and the next U2 tour.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Laurie David is another "Gulfstream liberal", jetting from coast to coast in a private G200 to preach about the evils of you and I driving a SUV.

so ... the message you take from that is to absolve yourself from any responsibility for owning and operating an SUV?