An evening with the liberal rich and powerful. (warning long post)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Last night I volunteered at the Jefferson Jackson Day Dinner here in Richmond. Every Virginia democratic legislator was there, and the keynote speaker was Senator Joe Biden. I was pumped, I've adored Sen. Biden for years. Before the dinner I was assigned to helping the pols with the VIP entrance (people there know how much I love this kind of stuff). I chatted it up with some of the delegates and state senators, some are running for Attorney General and Lt. Governor.

Then came the governor and lt. governor (my picture with the lt. governor from a previous event is in my gallery). They came by and spoke to all the legislators. The Lt. Governor, who is running for governor, came up to me and said "Hey I know you! You're always crashing my parties!" That naturally got me more excited. Then the Governor came up and I introduced myself, told him whatever his future political ambitions are I'm here to support him. He was VERY happy to hear that. So as the pols were entering the ballroom, the governor was standing in the back waiting his turn. He turned and looked at me and said "Hey, do you have a camera?" "Yeah!" I responded. "Well let's take a picture!" Here is the pic:
32026markandicropped-med.jpg

It was then time for me to go to my table and eat. Right as I got to my table the governor was introduced and walked in to the crowd chanting "0-8! 0-8! 0-8!" He was obviously pleased. There were several speakers, then our Lt. Governor gave an excellent speech, and introduced our 2 congressional representatives. They then introduced the governor, who once again was greeted with "0-8! 0-8! 0-8!" He also gave a great speech...hinting at a possible '08 run. (Which the cround responded to wildly).

Then...came Senator Biden. I have always loved him and was looking forward to a great speech but little did I know just how powerful his speech would be. It was long...about an hour. Very tame. But it was the greatest speech I have ever heard. You could hear a pin drop in a room full of thousands of people. It was not the typical "rah rah go democrats boo republicans" speech, it was intellectual, analytical. It's a speech that if I try to paraphrase it it just doesn't work...but something democrats all over the nation NEED to hear. Our souls have been empty and hungry...and he filled them.

Afterwords I was speechless...trying to wrap my mind around what he had just said...I was shaking at the power of his words. So I pushed my way to the front to speak with him. He was surrounded by a crowd of us young people and he asked "So, who's everyone pulling for tomorrow?" Some people said the Eagles, others said the Patriots, I was behind him and I shouted "The commercials!!!" He turned around and looked at me and said "Yeah, you're right! The commercials!" I had my picture taken with him, seen here:
32026joeandicropped-med.jpg

I then began to walk away, letting others have their time with him. Then I twirled around and shouted "Joe! I love you!" He looked at me at first shocked. ( :ohmy: ) Then he absolutely grinned. ( :D ) And winked. ( :sexywink: )

The night really could not have been better.

U2democrat said:
So I pushed my way to the front to speak with him. He was surrounded by a crowd of us young people and he asked "So, who's everyone pulling for tomorrow?" Some people said the Eagles, others said the Patriots, I was behind him and I shouted "The commercials!!!" He turned around and looked at me and said "Yeah, you're right! The commercials!"

:lol:

It's great that his speech got though to you so well - I love reading your posts about your democratic adventures! You have such a passion for what you believe in, and it's very encouraging.

After I spoke to the Senator (and professed my love for him) I spoke to his chief of staff, who gave me his card. :D

A few lines from Biden's speech:
"As democrats, we need to find out what the Hell it is we stand for!" (got a standing ovation then.)

"If the CIA were to have intellegence that says that North Korea is in the 3rd stage of having nuclear missiles and was about to launch them at the US, how many heads of state do you think would believe us?" from the crowd: "None!"

Exerpts really don't do it justice.

Reminds me of my youth.....working in my Congressman's Office and the gary Hart Campaign.

You look like you are enjoying yourself.

I am so proud of you U2democrat, and your interest in politics. you are an inspiration to your age group. I was wondering if you belong to any political women's organizations? I belong to the Women's Federation of Women's Democratic of PA. We have women of all ages that belong.

No i don't belong to any democratic women's organizations, but perhaps when i get into college i'll join one.

thanks everyone for all the complements, they're very kind. :hug:

Tonight we had a super bowl party for the youth group and their parents, and two of the mothers are friends with Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine, and they told me they would talk to him and try to hook us up! :hyper: I am SO blessed to have so many dreams come true at such a young age.

You don't mean hook up like uhh...

:sexywink:

:wink:

Keep on living your dreams.:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom