An Annoying Way to Watch a Movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Wal-Mart sells anti-smut DVD player

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Wal-Mart is selling the world's first DVD player that can seamlessly skip over violence, swearing, nudity and other potentially offensive movie content. The $79 unit features technology by ClearPlay and is manufactured by Thomson Inc. under its RCA brand.

The product comes in the wake of the Super Bowl halftime controversy as well as the FCC fining Clear Channel for indecent content on "The Howard Stern Show." But ClearPlay CEO Bill Aho said the timing is coincidental.

"It's just fortunate," he said. "There is a lot of interest and sensitivity around the topic of potentially offensive media content."

RCA's player is the latest development in a legal battle between the Salt Lake City-based software company and Hollywood. Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh and other members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) filed suit against ClearPlay in September 2002, when the filtering product was available as a computer program.

Anyone purchasing one of these dvd players will probably just get annoyed when scenes and dialogue get cut out of their movies.

The DGA lawsuit, however, looks fairly silly.

nbcrusader said:
Wal-Mart sells anti-smut DVD player

Anyone purchasing one of these dvd players will probably just get annoyed when scenes and dialogue get cut out of their movies.

Well, imagine this, you can now see Reservoir Dogs in 5 minutes! :D

The DGA lawsuit, however, looks fairly silly.

In a way it maybe is, but on the other hand. You have the whole freedom of speech/artistic integrity issue to deal with.

Then again, I'll never be interested in such a player myself.

:wink:

Marty

if you were an artist and you painted a nude and sold it to someone who loved it but was not happy with the genital area and then either drew a fig leaf over it, or cut that section of canvas out, would you be a bit annoyed?
hmm, its a stupid example i know. but then again, people dont really need a reason to sue someone in america it seems.
:hmm:

That's just crazy on so many levels.

First of all I don't see how they can keep the movies at the same price as regular DVDs when they have to physically go back and alter them.

Second of all, once again someone else is making the decisions for you.

Why is everyone so lazy.

What happen to the days of the parents watching the movie before hand to see if they will allow their child to watch it. That way they can make an educated decision as to what's appropriate and what's not. Now your children will be watching Alladin and all of a sudden a scene is missing because someone else thought is obtained innuendo.

Who's making the decisions about editing? What if they believe a woman kissing a woman is smut, or a black man kissing a white woman is not appropriate, or what if they think someone freezing to death is too violent oh well you'll never find out how the Titanic ends.

This world is funny.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
That's just crazy on so many levels.

First of all I don't see how they can keep the movies at the same price as regular DVDs when they have to physically go back and alter them.

Second of all, once again someone else is making the decisions for you.

Why is everyone so lazy.

What happen to the days of the parents watching the movie before hand to see if they will allow their child to watch it. That way they can make an educated decision as to what's appropriate and what's not. Now your children will be watching Alladin and all of a sudden a scene is missing because someone else thought is obtained innuendo.

Who's making the decisions about editing? What if they believe a woman kissing a woman is smut, or a black man kissing a white woman is not appropriate, or what if they think someone freezing to death is too violent oh well you'll never find out how the Titanic ends.

This world is funny.

:up:.

Angela

This year the Oscar for the best short film edited down from a full length film goes to...

It will give best editing a new meaning.

If someone wants to get these things, OK. But I'd never want my movies edited by someone else. What's the idea, Braveheart without the violence? If so, just forget about watching the movie. It takes the whole point of the movie out of it.

If you don't want to watch a movie with violence or nudity look at the ratings. While editing the 'offensive' piece of the movie out is said to be seemless, the continuity will probably be affected and the consumer will be left watching an incomplete movie.

If you don't have all the pieces, you can't finish the puzzle.

nbcrusader said:
It is far better to avoid the temptations than to dance around them with this dvd player

You are still letting someone else decide what is temptation and what is not. People are tempted by different things, ones that no manufactured filter will take care of.

nbcrusader said:
I think we agree. If a movie contains a temptation you want to avoid - don't watch it....

Yeah I'm sorry I'm reading under the influence of a bad headache, I thought you were saying with this DVD player you'd be able to avoid rather than dance around.

Somedays I just shouldn't be allowed in here without my meds.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom