American University liberals get their skulls bashed after Rove speech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEnl-oqfDHY

Damn. I can't BELIEVE I missed this. I heard about it immediately afterward though. The College Republicans at my school (American University) are far and away a minority here (I think we're something like 86% liberal), but they got Karl Rove to come give a private speech the other day. Apparently a bunch of students thought getting their skulls cracked by public safety officers would be a good way to end their day, so they started throwing shit at Rove as he attempted to leave campus. Some of them even laid down in front of his car preventing him to leave. Someone tell me how that makes sense? First they block the doors to the building so he can't get in, then they block his car so he can't leave. Silly liberals.

But man, I'm sooooooo pissed that I missed the riot. I've never witnessed a real life angry mob before. Would have been cool. My next door neighbor got a really great video on her camera and sold the footage to CNN.

here is some more interesting news

Students at Conservative University Protest Cheney Appearance

By VOA News
05 April 2007

ap_us_utah_cheney_protest_5apr07_eng_195.jpg

Democratic Party students at a protest rally on the Brigham Young University campus, in Provo, Utah, 04 Apr 2007
Some 200 students at the conservative Brigham Young University peacefully protested Wednesday against a planned appearance by U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney.

Cheney is scheduled to be the main speaker at the Utah university's graduation ceremony April 26.

The protesters at the largely Mormon university complained about Cheney's ties to the war in Iraq, among other issues.

Meanwhile, supporters of Cheney's visit staged a counter-protest and circulated a petition thanking the vice president for his upcoming visit.

Tuesday night, just over a dozen students at American University in Washington, D.C. protested an appearance by presidential aide Karl Rove. Officials said the students threw objects at Rove and tried to lie down in front of his car. He was emerging from an invitation-only speaking engagement for the school's College Republicans.

unico said:
Skulls bashed? I thought the report said there were no injuries.

I heard a few first hand reports of a few kids getting whacked in the head.

I just feel like a lot of people here want to protest ANYTHING for the sake of protest. A lot of people here have no respect for the other side of any debate, and that's what pisses me off. Now personally, I don't give two shits about Karl Rove or anything political for the matter. That's just a personal choice though. But I've seen the conservative minority here get harassed and morally degraded as though they were heathens or satanists or something by narrow-minded liberal assholes. Don't confuse that with me saying all liberals are like that, but I'd say the worst of them were the ones throwing shit at Karl Rove and rioting in the street (because that sure accomplished a lot and lent just a ton of credibility to their cause :rolleyes: ). But anyway, no, I don't necessarily wish somebody got hurt. But I'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't have been entertaining to see the riot nontheless, or see one dumb asshole get a good smack in the head for doing something stupid.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It sounds as if you wished someone got hurt.:huh:

I'm sorry but if you decide to lay down or throw objects at someone. Then you deserve a couple of whacks on the head. Boohooo they got hurt? Even though I don't like Rove I would not want to see him get beat up. Peaceful protest mean to show no remorse these days and act violent towards your foes.

Justin24 said:

I'm sorry but if you decide to lay down or throw objects at someone. Then you deserve a couple of whacks on the head. Boohooo they got hurt? Even though I don't like Rove I would not want to see him get beat up. Peaceful protest mean to show no remorse these days and act violent towards your foes.

I don't agree with throwing things, but everything else is fair game and doesn't warrant getting hit.

Lancemc said:
I just feel like a lot of people here want to protest ANYTHING for the sake of protest. A lot of people here have no respect for the other side of any debate, and that's what pisses me off. Now personally, I don't give two shits about Karl Rove or anything political for the matter. That's just a personal choice though. But I've seen the conservative minority here get harassed and morally degraded as though they were heathens or satanists or something by narrow-minded liberal assholes. Don't confuse that with me saying all liberals are like that, but I'd say the worst of them were the ones throwing shit at Karl Rove and rioting in the street (because that sure accomplished a lot and lent just a ton of credibility to their cause :rolleyes: ). But anyway, no, I don't necessarily wish somebody got hurt. But I'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't have been entertaining to see the riot nontheless, or see one dumb asshole get a good smack in the head for doing something stupid.

I don't know what happened in this incident, and obviously violence is an inexcusable way of protesting, if that's what happened.

But the Republicans are pushing a war that the American people no longer want to be a part of. This is turning into Vietnam all over again. Remember Kent State?

Second hand I suppose. But it doesn't really matter. Either way there were no serious injuries. But I do believe there was some excessive force used to quell the mob.

Lancemc said:
But I've seen the conservative minority here get harassed and morally degraded as though they were heathens or satanists

Don't degrade heathens and satanists by likening them to that scum.

Back
Top Bottom