American soldiers throw living puppy off cliff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't care.. what they went thru this was sick, sick unearthly thing to do to a defenseless animal... All the mental professionals in the world could not convince me otherwise.. Even my mom, who is a Psyhotherapist..

this just makes me so heartsick that I just can't wrap my mind around it.. I know that there is so much animal cruelty going on in this world but.. WHY.. VIDEOTAPE IT..?

And if this is a fake video.. all the more reason to prosecute these guys to the fullest extend of the law. Which is almost as sick as the actual act itself...

I'm disgusted because I'm in the military and I EXPECT MORE from my fellow troops. I'm also a dog lover. However, what was the point of this whole thread? Was it to bring shame and further disgust upon the U.S. military? I wish all the great things these soldiers did got as much attention. :|

unico said:

i personally believe that this has less to do with what soldiers experience and more to do with just having a stone cold heart. .
Yes. You could put me through all kinds of unspeakable things and I would still never pull a stunt like this. I firmly believe you have to have something backwards in your head to be capable of such cruelty EVER.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
i don't care.. what they went thru

So you're more concerned about dogs than about your country's own soldiers who are (in theory, anyways) fighting and dying so that you don't have to.

Now those are some fine priorities. :up:

I agree with anitram and the others. Yes, of course what the soldiers go through is hell and there's no comparison, BUT I think you have to be a sick fuck to begin with to toss puppies, rape civilians, etc. My grandpa was a military man. He served on the front lines in Germany and France during WWII. He was part of the unit that discovered and liberated the Nordhausen concentration camp, which included the discovery of over 2000 dead bodies. There were civilian families living just down the road that insisted they didn't know what was going on. My grandpa's unit forced them to march over and help burry the dead. He was 19 years old at the time. That's one of the sickest things I can think of to happen to an impressionable young man, yet I never saw him kicking dogs or hurting anyone or anything. The military men and women I know think this dude is one sick fuck just like I do. I think it sort of undermines all those who do serve with honor and dignity when we automatically excuse people like this because they must have been so corrupted by war they can't know right from wrong. Sure, the atrocities of war help explain these things, but they do not excuse them.

Liesje said:
Sure, the atrocities of war help explain these things, but they do not excuse them.

aptly put.

I'm a dog lover and it was pretty disgusting clip to watch.

dbs

Liesje said:
Sure, the atrocities of war help explain these things, but they do not excuse them.

This is very well said, and I don't mean to say that these guys ought to get a pass. Obviously they're pretty messed up, and they need help. I'm just slightly disappointed that people are calling for them to be thrown into jail or court martialed, what have you. These are soldiers and they've obviously been affected to this point by the extreme situation they're in. They're young men, probably younger than I am (21), and they're coping with a situation none of us have been in and none of us can even fathom.

Everyone can do abhorrent things they would never imagine they could do if placed in a war zone. Let's take a step back and offer help before we condemn and treat them like murderers.

DaveC said:

So you're more concerned about dogs than about your country's own soldiers who are (in theory, anyways) fighting and dying so that you don't have to.

Now those are some fine priorities. :up:
That's taking her quote out of context. She followed that by essentially saying it's NOT an excuse to do what they did. Of course what they went through is terrible, but it doesn't matter. You don't take it out on helpless creatures, or anyone for that matter.

How about I post a video of a line of U.S. soldiers being executed by a bullet to the head and then the bodies being drug through the streets. Guess how the video got out? One soldier was left alive to make sure it got into the hands of the U.S. media. Then you people will still talk about how cruel it was for puppy? fuck off. I'm a dog lover but give me a fucking break. This shit happens all the time. Here and over there. My brother has been there and back and has shown me his "home videos" of what is going on. Yes I feel bad for the dog but fuck. How about you watch the video of the Iraqi's slitting the throats of lambs? oh their food so its ok. right. How about the video I can show you of a soldier on the ground with his leg blown off, his hand blown of but sill alive long enough to say good bye to his wife? oh but a puppy got killed. How about the video I have of the aftermath of a IED and there is a Iraqi civilian's head laying in the street. Oh but a puppy was killed so its ok. You people have no fucking idea what goes on over there. I'm not saying what he did was right. I think it was stupid but more people are getting worked up over this than any of the people that have dies there. Aside from the familys of the dead soldiers.

um, gherman. You can lay off the f-word, kay? There are better ways to make your point.

gherman said:
I think it was stupid but more people are getting worked up over this than any of the people that have dies there. Aside from the familys of the dead soldiers.

I think this is a horrible leap of logic on your part.

gherman said:
I'm not saying what he did was right. I think it was stupid but more people are getting worked up over this than any of the people that have dies there. Aside from the familys of the dead soldiers.

you have absolutely no idea how some of us are personally affected by this war. you have no idea who you are talking to and i think you shouldn't jump to such ridiculous and false generalizations. a simple breeze through the archive will show how many in this forum are upset about the accumulating loss of lives over there. the loss of lives of our friends and relatives comes up quite frequently when in iraq war threads.

gherman said:
How about I post a video of a line of U.S. soldiers being executed by a bullet to the head and then the bodies being drug through the streets. Guess how the video got out? One soldier was left alive to make sure it got into the hands of the U.S. media. Then you people will still talk about how cruel it was for puppy?
Cruelty is cruelty.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think this is a horrible leap of logic on your part.

yes, yes and yes.. I agree.. One broad stroke of the brush there.. I mean really.. IMO, that is so far off the mark in what people think and feel about the deaths of the soldiers putting their lives on the lines for us.. Your statement does not represent really what americans think.

The problem with that is the media has stopped making the goings ons of the war top news most days.. So, just cuz this is not page 1 does not mean Americans feel the same way..

I am well aware of what the military goes thru in this with my hubby being active duty.. We are apart of that community..

Last edited:
Members of the army are supposed to protect and defend our country.
What threat to them was that puppy? They certainly didn't protect nor were they defending it. They could have just let be and leave it where it was. Thats basically the bottom line of the whole topic, not which is more cruel.

DaveC said:

This is very well said, and I don't mean to say that these guys ought to get a pass. Obviously they're pretty messed up, and they need help. I'm just slightly disappointed that people are calling for them to be thrown into jail or court martialed, what have you. These are soldiers and they've obviously been affected to this point by the extreme situation they're in. They're young men, probably younger than I am (21), and they're coping with a situation none of us have been in and none of us can even fathom.

Everyone can do abhorrent things they would never imagine they could do if placed in a war zone. Let's take a step back and offer help before we condemn and treat them like murderers.

Well I agree with you I just don't think it's fair for some people here to take other people's words out of context and accuse them of not caring about US soldiers in general.

IMO, if this war is really screwing with their heads so much they think doing things like this is OK, then yes they need to be discharged for their own mental safety. I won't start demanding certain punishments b/c honestly I don't know how our military works. I've read that if this video is real, then they will be dealt with and that's satisfactory to me. I do not AT ALL think it is appropriate that people's families are receiving death threats over this and there's all these sites cropping up just to belittle the guys involved, but I don't think what they did is OK b/c they were in Iraq for a while.

Like I said before, I just think it belittles those in our military who serve under the same conditions or worse and come home with the same compassion and conscience they always had. I mean, I know a guy who went to Iraq and his truck got bombed, his arm got really messed up and lord knows what happened to the others involved. Yet he wanted to get back as soon as possible b/c his dream in life is to be a chaplain for the marines. For every person that gets so fucked up they start torturing animals and worse, there's probably 100 people that don't.

I also think it's worthless for people to keep saying "well yeah he killed a puppy but what about this video...?" Hello, they are not mutually exclusive. Like someone else said, cruelty is cruelty. Just because this makes people irate doesn't mean they don't care about anything else having to do with this war. Actually, I've watched Bagdad ER three times and never watched the puppy video we're talking about. Who cares? What's next people will accuse me of not caring about kids because I volunteer at an animal shelter and not a tutoring program?

DaveC said:
They're young men, probably younger than I am (21), and they're coping with a situation none of us have been in and none of us can even fathom.

I was in that position, but from the other side (as a refugee). There were two types of soldiers, that I learned very early on. The kind who managed to retain their humanity, and the ones that did not. And yes, I condemn those, because you always have the ability to make the right choice, even when that is the difficult one.

War is terrible and it does terrible things to people. But some people are terrible people who happen to go to war, and that only amplifies the fact they were worthless packs of cells to begin with.

anitram said:

But some people are terrible people who happen to go to war, and that only amplifies the fact they were worthless packs of cells to begin with.

That was my thought as I was reading this. I'd be willing to bet that these individuals were damaged before they even went to war.

VintagePunk said:

That was my thought as I was reading this. I'd be willing to bet that these individuals were damaged before they even went to war.

we have a surge to maintain.

you take what you can (heterosexually) get.

Notwithstanding this horrible act of cruely, what I STILL don't understand is why the marine allowed this to be videotaped? Even though he was supposedly alone in the desert didn't he know that in this day and age nothing is kept secret and if someone passes wind in Australia it will be smelled in Greenland?

AchtungBono said:
Notwithstanding this horrible act of cruely, what I STILL don't understand is why the marine allowed this to be videotaped? Even though he was supposedly alone in the desert didn't he know that in this day and age nothing is kept secret and if someone passes wind in Australia it will be smelled in Greenland?

The same brain that decided to throw a puppy decided to video tape it. Seems these two are lacking sense in general.

unico said:

you have absolutely no idea how some of us are personally affected by this war. you have no idea who you are talking to and i think you shouldn't jump to such ridiculous and false generalizations. a simple breeze through the archive will show how many in this forum are upset about the accumulating loss of lives over there. the loss of lives of our friends and relatives comes up quite frequently when in iraq war threads.

You have no idea who you are talking to. Unless you have lost a family member like me to the war don't say another thing to me. ever.

gherman said:

You have no idea who you are talking to. Unless you have lost a family member like me to the war don't say another thing to me. ever.

no i have not lost any of my friends/family who are/were there. i've been lucky so far. look i'm sorry for your loss, but your generalizations are absurd and out of line. to say we don't care about what our soldiers are going through was completely pulled out of your colon and came out of nowhere. noone ever said anything like that and it is downright offensive of you to make such an accusation.

Last edited:
I think maybe we'd best drop the issue of whether and how this is an acceptable thread topic to have an emotional response to, guys. Otherwise there's really no point in leaving it open.

Last edited:
yolland said:
I think maybe we'd best drop the issue of whether and how this is an acceptable thread topic to have an emotional response to, guys. Otherwise there's really no point in leaving it open.

I'm going to stop. Sorry about that Yolland. I lost one brother last year and my other baby brother is over there right now. I get a little heated up. I didn't mean to say nobody cares, my fingers type a little out of conrol when I'm mad. It just bothers me to see all of this attention on a national level for something like this when my brother got a little local attention when he died for nothing in my opinion but he chose to go and we supported him. My complaint is that if the guy threw a chicken of the cliff and died would people be saying the same stuff? Its has a life to. Sorry.

gherman-

God Bless your brother, you and your brother currently serving .

Stay safe

diamond
:hug:

Thank You Diamond. If its ok I don't want to talk about it anymore. Posting here, going to work and studying helps me to forget about it as much as possible because if I don't keep busy I just can't function. I am a little too quick tempered and it has only been getting worse these past few years. Sorry guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom