American Experience documentary on George H. W. Bush right now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
Most PBS stations are airing it 9 pm Eastern today (Monday May 5th) and tomorrow. Each part is probably 2 hours.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bush41...1_americanexperiencebrgeorgehwbush_2008-05-05

I haven't watched one of these since high school, but while they can be a bit hagiographic, they're better than anything you'll find on president's on any other American media outlet, especially CNN and crap like that. It features many historians and figures connected with the time.

Enjoy.

it will be on here in about one hour

I will probably catch it later

i have two pbs channels

and it will be rebroadcast a few times

GHW Bush was a decent President and
has an impressive resume

and because of that
W was able to scrape out a way into the Whitehouse in 2000.

deep said:
it will be on here in about one hour

I will probably catch it later

i have two pbs channels

and it will be rebroadcast a few times

GHW Bush was a decent President and
has an impressive resume

and because of that
W was able to scrape out a way into the Whitehouse in 2000.
2 PBS! Lucky!

The media totally framed W. as a cheesy dramatic inevitability.

I thought it was interesting, but they forgot to mention the fact that the Bush campaign also played the race card by alluding to Dukakis' Greek ethnic roots. My older brother remembers Bush standing by some country music lady who said "Why would I vote for the other guy; I can't even pronounce his name!" or something like that. I have to say, despite all my dislike of McCain's policies and hypocrisy toward Muslim nations, I don't think he'd do this.

I saw a news story on "Now" with David Brancaccio about how Lee Atwater apologized for his racist campaigning and divisive politics on his death bed.

I didn't buy the documentary's attempt to explain away Bush's dirty campaigning as something he didn't like to do. Who likes it?

I was impressed with his civil rights vote and his attempt at a fair deal for Palestinians, but he's done some pretty bad stuff, including beginning the brain-washing campaign about how much of a threat Saddam Hussein is, which Clinton continued.

Anyway, Part 2 should be interesting.

Hey, deep, did you try out episode 6 and on of The 4400 Season 4?

I agree with Muldfeld...even though the series is better than what you'll find on CNN etc. it still manages to make George H.W. Bush a much nicer character than most reliable and not so reliable sources will tell you. For example they mentioned GHWB's father quite a bit BUT... Where was Prescott Bush's ties to the Nazi's??? Not mentioned. I'll still watch part 2 though.

Muldfeld said:

2 PBS! Lucky!

The media totally framed W. as a cheesy dramatic inevitability.

I thought it was interesting, but they forgot to mention the fact that the Bush campaign also played the race card by alluding to Dukakis' Greek ethnic roots. My older brother remembers Bush standing by some country music lady who said "Why would I vote for the other guy; I can't even pronounce his name!" or something like that. I have to say, despite all my dislike of McCain's policies and hypocrisy toward Muslim nations, I don't think he'd do this.

I saw a news story on "Now" with David Brancaccio about how Lee Atwater apologized for his racist campaigning and divisive politics on his death bed.

I didn't buy the documentary's attempt to explain away Bush's dirty campaigning as something he didn't like to do. Who likes it?

I was impressed with his civil rights vote and his attempt at a fair deal for Palestinians, but he's done some pretty bad stuff, including beginning the brain-washing campaign about how much of a threat Saddam Hussein is, which Clinton continued.

Anyway, Part 2 should be interesting.

Hey, deep, did you try out episode 6 and on of The 4400 Season 4?

I kind of have 2 and 1/2

the 1/2 is a station that only plays some pbs stuff.

I do pay $180 a month for two dvrs and all the premium and on demand channels

I did not watch any of the GHW Bush program yet.

I do remember a lot of the history first hand from 1980 on. I wonder if they included the part where he said

"I kicked a little ass last night"

referring to his debate with V P candidate Geraldine Ferraro in 1984?

re: The 4400

I did watch a lot of the first season and did enjoy it

I tried to jump back in
and did not like it that much.

But, I am seriously considering giving it a try again, I would want to watch all the seasons in order.
so, no I did not watch that one episode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom