America appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
I figured everyone in FYM would love a thread dedicated to the praise of the nation I happen to hail from. We have our faults yes...but so does every other country. And I figured a *Little* appreciation might balance the america bashing.

Originally posted by Arun V:
I figured everyone in FYM would love a thread dedicated to the praise of the nation I happen to hail from. We have our faults yes...but so does every other country. And I figured a *Little* appreciation might balance the america bashing.

I love the country I live in.
California!
oh wait..
I mean Southern California.

oh..
wait..
I love the country I love in.
The United States of America
wink.gif

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/
elvis@interference.com

America is Beautiful to me because..

-of her diversity
-of her oppurtunity
-of her uniqueness
-of her majesty
-of her entrepreneurship
-and Jennifer Lopez's great ASS.

I'll add more later..
(sexy apt is a mess.)

D
B

The home of Seinfeld!

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

You Know.. I don't understand this.. Just a few Days ago I posted up a 'Bubba Appreciation' Thread, and it was torn down to the sewers by wave after wave of Fecical Matter Flowing into the replying posts?..

Hahha.. Oh Well..

Carry on My Friend,
God Bless America. And God Bless the 'Listener'.

L.Unplugged

Thanks, Arun! America is indeed a GREAT nation!

Best thing about America...the people ;-)

No, seriously - I was in the US as an exchange student and one of the things I really loved was how willing people were to help me. I loved that people were proud of their country and wanted to teach me about it. I loved how people tried to make me feel welcome there and include me in their plans.

I know I've been one of the people in this forum who can be pretty critical of the US government, especially its foreign policy, but that doesn't mean I don't like the country or I don't like the American people because for the most part, I love both
smile.gif

*Fizz

it's not better or worse then most other countries

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
it's not better or worse then most other countries

I'm sorry sal...the America mediocre comment thread is down the hall

being about as good or bad as most other countries doesn't make you mediocre

------------------
Salome

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-25-2002).]

If we have an American appreciation thread we have to have appreciation threads for all other countries. For their diversity, for ther opportunity, for their uniqueness, for their majesty, for their entrepeneurship, for their history.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
If we have an American appreciation thread we have to have appreciation threads for all other countries. For their diversity, for ther opportunity, for their uniqueness, for their majesty, for their entrepeneurship, for their history.
We did, last year. Let's see - we praised Switzerland, Australia, and some others...

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
*wonders for how long this thread will stay a happy one*

In truth...I'm surprised that the first reply wasn't someone blasting me for blah blah blah blah blah

In truth...I'm surprised that the first reply wasn't someone blasting me for blah blah blah blah blah

I'm not, these things have a way of sneaking into a thread and rarely happen at the start of a thread. Besides, the people who are not from the US were probably sleeping when you posted the thread.

I Love America because-

The variety of resturants...
The variety of music...
The variety of culture

The advancement of technology
The advancement of medicine
The advancement of humanity

I love America because of Hooters Resturants..

Diamond

then why start the thread?

------------------
Salome

why, salome? because he wanted to, isn't that reason enough??? he did it despite knowing the inevitability that someone will eventually start trashing it

what did I say that was so wrong this time?

the main reason I was curious is because we have had threads like this before, so starting one expecting that it will be trashed doesn't make too much sense to me (even though nothing bad has been said yet and I doubt that this will happen)

if you think you know a thread (that has been done before) will end up all ugly then the only reason I can think of for still going ahead and starting it would be that you want people to start negative comments so that you can say they are wrong (even though one's views of the U.S. are a personal opinion and not a fact that can be wrong or righ, though misguided could be an option) knowing that - at least in this particular thread - there will definitely be plenty of people to cheer you on and accuse the people who don't agree of predictable responses (though Diamond accusing me of being predictable at least causes me to smile)

but since it seems to be almost unanimous that I'm a total nut anyway I guess it's all just me

------------------
Salome

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-26-2002).]

Since this is a real peaceful thread, I may add something:
I like America for its past showbiz.
Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Danny Kaye, whoever: they all posessed such a great style that you might think it was reflecting how America was way back when. I also have fresh examples: I remember watching the first big Sept11 concert. It struck me how well the show was organized.
I may also say I don?t like the showbiz today - especially the music industry is in a bad state. Diamond, the variety of music - was that meant to be cynical (if I had heard that 20 years ago, ok... and btw, no one, neither Europe, has pushed the advancement of humanity... the advancement of medicine - oh yeah, bio weapons you mean)?
Anyway, I really like hamburgers. But only the real ones, you know, they serve them in real restaurants with salad bars and real milkshakes, not at McDonalds. I like Ketchup. Then, I like New York for its diversity.
Let?s see... what else makes America unique?
When I was a child, I loved Greyhound buses (around 25 years ago, when service was still in their vocabulary).
I love New Orleans, where music still has a place.
And a real car is an American car (ok, Ferraris and Maseratis also count, but compare an old Ford or Continental with one of those lil? japanese plastic surgery models).
So then, I like belle Michelle. And Prince. And loads of other Americans. All of that doesn?t make the U.S. a better dictatorship (or call it fake democracy), but I have to admit America also created some cool stuff.
Cheers there!

Originally posted by Salome:
then why start the thread?
I don'think that necessarily meant that Arun V thought this would be a controversial thread when he started it; it was probably an afterthought. Judging the spirit of his post, I don't think he intended it to start a fight about it at all.

Oh I believed America the group, sorry

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

I love the freedom in America.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Well I'm not American but I love the fact that I have so many American Interference friends
smile.gif

And I'm sure that it's just like Canada and alot of other democratic countries out there in that it's a peaceful, giving place to live.

Hiphop-you are funny and had good responses.
No, I wasnt being too cynical.

Raf-That was a good one.

Salome-It would just be nice if people followed the Spirit of the thread,ie-"appreciation of America" as the author wished.

I love America because of-
Harley
Davidsons.

D
B

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-26-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom