America appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Salome-It would just be nice if people followed the Spirit of the thread,ie-"appreciation of America" as the author wished.
umm, this is Free Your Mind, not Follow The Leader

if someone had started to post negative comments or had been overly critical I would understand why you'd feel the spirit of this thread wasn't followed

now, I'm just confused

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I really don't think this thread is necessary either, we've heard it millions of times before how great some of you think America is. I must say I hear a lot more of U.S.-patriotism around here than U.S.-bashing. why do you feel the need to shove it up in our faces all the time? I don't go scream about how great sweden is, in fact I would feel extremely silly and stupid if I did.

Originally posted by U2FReAk:
I really don't think this thread is necessary either, we've heard it millions of times before how great some of you think America is. I must say I hear a lot more of U.S.-patriotism around here than U.S.-bashing. why do you feel the need to shove it up in our faces all the time? I don't go scream about how great sweden is, in fact I would feel extremely silly and stupid if I did.
If you'll be honest, you will admit that most of the time we "shove it up in your faces" only in response to someone who is bashing America. Would you not defend your country if someone were consistently bashing it? And if you don't think anyone was constantly bashing the US, you obviously don't remember what happened in this very forum some 5 or 6 months ago.

I would love to hear why people appreciate the country they live in, especially Sweden. As Americans, we are both proud and disgusted of the country we live in at different times. Oddly, we also have quite a bit of pride for the countries we have ancestors from.

Although I do have ancestral pride (Swedish and Irish), I find it odd. My great and great, great grandparents fled these countries for different reasons (famine in one case, army restrictions in the other case). Now, my generation and the two previous generations pride ourselves on pride for the places our ancestors fleed. Kinda weird.

Originally posted by Lemonite:

You Know.. I don't understand this.. Just a few Days ago I posted up a 'Bubba Appreciation' Thread, and it was torn down to the sewers by wave after wave of Fecical Matter Flowing into the replying posts?..

Hahha.. Oh Well..

Carry on My Friend,
God Bless America. And God Bless the 'Listener'.

L.Unplugged

?? What don't you understand?

Bubba is, uh, interesting?

But, Bubba is not America.

chain

I really don't think this thread is necessary either, we've heard it millions of times before how great some of you think America is. I must say I hear a lot more of U.S.-patriotism around here than U.S.-bashing.

That is soo not the case..every thread that mentions america at some point turns nasty

I went to America for five weeks last year and had a marvellous time. I agree with FizzingWhizzbees, I've got nothing but good memories of the different people I've met on my trip.

...but c'mon, your silly Fahrenheit system has got to go,
smile.gif

Originally posted by Saracene:
I went to America for five weeks last year and had a marvellous time. I agree with FizzingWhizzbees, I've got nothing but good memories of the different people I've met on my trip.

...but c'mon, your silly Fahrenheit system has got to go,
smile.gif

MY CAR GETS 90 FURLONGS TO THE HECTOR AND THAT"S THE WAY I LIKE IT!!!

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 03-27-2002).]

I LOVE NY. I LOVE the USA!! Especially because I can measure in INCHES not meters and say the temp is 55 degrees FARENHEIT, not celsius. I buy milk by the gallon, not liter, (Although, those damn soda companys mess everything up!!!!)I love America for our independence, strength, compassion, diversity and most of all, our FREEDOM.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by zooropa16 (edited 03-27-2002).]

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
If we have an American appreciation thread we have to have appreciation threads for all other countries.

I think this quote sums up what is wrong with the world now a days.

Hahaha..

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by chain:
?? What don't you understand?

Bubba is, uh, interesting?

But, Bubba is not America.

chain

Hahaha.. And ones for NicaMom, Dr.Gonzo, U2LA are any different?!

Great response Chain!!

L.Unplugged

Ditto. Bragging the way some do about this country is rather sinful.
*Realizes she shouldnt be the one to talk about sin...*
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

I think this quote sums up what is wrong with the world now a days.

Hahaha..

L.Unplugged

are you implying that the US is what is wrong with the world? hey buddy, if you don't like it here in god's country, go back to russia.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
are you implying that the US is what is wrong with the world? hey buddy, if you don't like it here in god's country, go back to russia.
biggrin.gif

Nice way to try and redirect my statement or fabricate something out of thin air.. You Know what I was referring to..

I like your inclusion of 'Hey Buddy', It reminds me of ... ah well, It made me laugh.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-29-2002).]

One of my quirky goals in life is to find an Australian that actually LIKES Fosters. So far, I have had zero luck.
tongue.gif

Personally...I dont' care if ppl don't like the thread. Sinful is hardly the word, America day in and day out gets bashed in this forum when I HIGHLY doubt any other countries in the same position as the US would act differently.

If you dont like the thread..don't post in it jeez..I'm a product of the american educational system and even i know that

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 03-29-2002).]

show me a post from the last 2 weeks where America got bashed

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Elvis:
I love the country I live in.
California!
oh wait..
I mean Southern California.

I love the country you're from too!
biggrin.gif
So warm and....yeah!

I do love America, and I have yet to find the most accurate wording to describe my love for it, so I love America will have to be it this time.

------------------
I will not expose the ignorance of the faculty.

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Well, can I love the country, the people but hate the government???

Hahah.. Yes, You're fully entitled to that, however, Do you mean to say that you hate our freedom, our liberties, and the opportunity to do practically anything you want/ say anything on your mind every day without having a Machete shoved down your gall bladder?

God Bless America
L.Unplugged

Fizz.. I'll get back to ya.

Hahah.. Yes, You're fully entitled to that, however, Do you mean to say that you hate our freedom, our liberties, and the opportunity to do practically anything you want/ say anything on your mind every day without having a Machete shoved down your gall bladder?

Err, no...but there's many countries that enjoy the same freedoms as yours (European ones, my own) and I don't hate those governments. Moot point, I'm afraid.

Don't forget it was the "people" who brought about those democratic changes...whether France, United States, etc...

Back
Top Bottom