Allawi: "Thank you America"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Thursday, September 23, 2004
By Liza Porteus

'Thank You, America'

Allawi had important messages for America, one being: "We are succeeding in Iraq," which received a resounding round of applause from lawmakers gathered in the House chamber.

"Every day we grow in strength and determination to defeat the terrorists and their barbarism," Allawi said, referring to the beheadings this week of two Americans.

"As we mourn these losses, we must not forget the progress we are making … we are fighting for freedom and democracy, ours and yours."

Allawi's second message, delivered directly from his people to all Americans, was:

"Thank you, America."

"We Iraqis know that Americans have made and continue to make enormous sacrifices to liberate Iraq, to assure Iraq's freedom," the prime minister said. "I have come here to thank you and to promise you that your sacrifices are not in vain."

He added that the "overwhelming majority" of Iraqis are grateful to be rid of Saddam and to build a better future. The others represent a "tiny minority" of the population "who will kill anyone, destroy anything to prevent Iraq and its people from achieving its goal."

But Iraqis will not be swayed, Allawi vowed.

"These killers may be just a tiny fraction of our 27 million population, but with their guns and their suicide bombs, to intimidate and frighten the people of Iraq — I can tell you today, they will not succeed," he added. "These murderers have no political program or cause other than to push our country back to tyranny."

Allawi noted that despite opposition to the Iraq invasion from major U.N. member countries, the United States forged ahead with its mission to depose of a ruthless dictator that ruled Iraq with an iron fist, and Iraq is grateful for it.

"My friends, today we are better off, you are better off and the world is better off, without Saddam Hussein," Allawi said. "Your decision to go into Iraq was not an easy one, but it was the right one."

Good news for America and our allies--is bad news for democrats in an election year. You will here the mainstream media tout this as a statement made by a parrot of the Bush administration. I bet even democrats had to stand and clap when he said that we are succeeding in Iraq.

A rousing speech, but it will not sway people. They may support the troops but they will oppose the war. I personally find the Iraq blogs good indicators - some are very pissed off with the US being there but the overall picture is not as alarmist as that painted by the media.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/24/politics/24prexy.html?th
By the end of the day, it was clear that Dr. Allawi's visit to Washington, his first as Iraq's interim prime minister, was not simply a trip by a head of government but a politically charged moment in the presidential campaign.

Dr. Allawi, a former neurologist with close ties to the Central Intelligence Agency, was selected as interim prime minister in May by a United Nations envoy under heavy pressure from the United States.

btw. how many iraq-threads do we need in FYM?

Back
Top Bottom