All UK citizens in ID database by 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil c

The Fly
All UK citizens in ID database by 2017

All British citizens will have their fingerprints and photographs registered on a national ID database within 10 years under plans outlined by the Government.

Millions in sensitive jobs, including teachers, carers and health workers, will be among the first to be entered on to the identity register.

In a bid to kick start the project - the world's biggest - foreign nationals working in Britain will begin to be issued with cards from November. Starting next year, the first British citizens will be enrolled beginning with some airport staff, power station employees and people working on the London Olympics site.

Fingerprint kiosks, modelled on existing photograph booths in stations and shops, could be set up around the country to help people enrol. Plans outlined by Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, yesterday envisage a fee of £30 for a stand-alone card, and more than £100 for a combined ID card and passport.

But ministers have been told by their own expert that enrolment should be free if the scheme is ''to win hearts and minds''.

Full story here:

Daily Telegraph

U2isthebest said:

By "intern" you mean Bono, don't you?:lol:

I think in this case he was referring to the CD with 25 million sensitive data about UK citizens that got lost in the mail. :wink:

Vincent Vega said:

I think in this case he was referring to the CD with 25 million sensitive data about UK citizens that got lost in the mail. :wink:

I remember hearing about that, I just like throwing in a random Bono losing things reference whenever possible. Interference jokes, FTW.:drool:

This is a total joke, passports are far to expensive as it is and now they introduce this cock shit ID thing that on paper will solve X amount of problems but infact will cause XYZ problems.

U2isthebest said:

I remember hearing about that, I just like throwing in a random Bono losing things reference whenever possible. Interference jokes, FTW.:drool:

I figured. :)

Is Bono okay?

vaz02 said:
This is a total joke, passports are far to expensive as it is and now they introduce this cock shit ID thing that on paper will solve X amount of problems but infact will cause XYZ problems.

I agree, it's completely ridiculous and SUCH an invasion of personal data.
It'll be a anti poll tax uprising all over again - people won't stand for this I don't think.

partygirlvox said:

I agree, it's completely ridiculous and SUCH an invasion of personal data.
It'll be a anti poll tax uprising all over again - people won't stand for this I don't think.

I hope you are right.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

~Benjamin Franklin

Is this going to include non-resident British Citizens like myself?

My passport story and rant -

On passport fees, most in other countries would probably be shocked at what Britain is charging for new/renewed passports for those living abroad. British passport renewals in Canada, USA, France, etc., are roughly £125 or US$250 or €170! But to pay for a one in the UK it's £72. You can't tell me that processing costs, which are done completely within Canada for example, cost double. Why are we being penalised by the Home Office?

The real clincher is that you're forced to phone the High Commission in Ottawa for faq's but it's not free, there is a mandatory $2.80 per minute phone rate to do so. So I phone them to question the rates and the idiot on the phone when I asked him about the price variations said I need to do the exchange rate. I told him I did and if he thinks £72 = $250 he needs to be questioned about his job. He then basically said he doesn't know why. I said to him that he is hired to give information that the public inquires about and that we the public, unbelievably, are being charged $2.85 to get this info, and he can't answer me. Frustrrrrrating! This guy's attitude was terrible to boot.

At the moment for the first time ever I don't have a passport because it puts too much of a dent in my budgeting.

My citizenship fee is £655. Plus £34 for the Life in the UK test and around £50 for the application checking (which I have to travel to London to do). Then I get to pay £72 for a passport and whatever the fee will be for an ID card later. :happy:

Slipstream said:
On passport fees, most in other countries would probably be shocked at what Britain is charging for new/renewed passports for those living abroad. British passport renewals in Canada, USA, France, etc., are roughly £125 or US$250 or €170!

Crap, is this true? I'm a British Citizen living in California, and my UK passport runs out in 2010.

$250??? Damn, I'd better start saving up for it now...

Anyone here complaining about the Patriot Act, it could get a lot worse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom