All instrumental music and singing comes from Satan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This guy is Church of Christ. They don't believe using musical instruments in worship.

But it's a hard sell since the old testament was chock full of instrumentalists playing for God.

Go back to the C.S. Lewis pages. Delete this one from your cache.

Yeah, I know. The whole CS Lewis argument he had centered around Aslan=Salan=False Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Lucy=Lucifer, and how in the end of "The Last Battle," because Aslan leads the children in a dance, that the whole thing was a warning against... music and dance. Meh.

I think it was CS Lewis who suggested that the devil controls the music industry. In a sense, I sort of believe this. U2 are just fortunate enough to survive it though.

Well, that settles it...I'm surely going to Hell. :ohmy:

But, of course, everyone I like will be there! :wink:

Saying that all music is from Satan I have a bit of a problem with. I, like many of you, love music in general, and I've seen it send a positive message. It's over the top to believe this crazy philosophy, especially since the Bible itself notes various musical instruments as a form of praise.

Macfistowannabe said:
I think it was CS Lewis who suggested that the devil controls the music industry. In a sense, I sort of believe this. U2 are just fortunate enough to survive it though.

Yeah, but these are books for kids. Surely Lewis would have not thrown out so many messages indicating that this was a metaphor for Christianity and actually mean it as a precautionary tale (with no consequences for the false Christ). It seems to be waaaay over his intended audience, and the unintended readings would really contradict his stance.

That's definately a human error within the particular churches that preach not to have fun. To me, that sounds pretty satanic. It doesn't sound far from Marilyn Manson on MTV saying that he "hates fun." We weren't meant to live life in misery, but to enjoy it.

:crack: There is something seriously wrong with that statement.

If by some complete warping of nature it's true, I'll be happy to go to hell, at least that way there'll be some entertainment.

He brings up an interesting point.

Sometimes church "worship" services can get a little out of hand with their music. By this I mean that they concentrate solely on the talent of the person singing and not on God. Worship is about God, not puffing up a performers pride.

Also, it says in the Bible that Satan was in charge of music in Heaven efoe he was kicked out. Pretty interesting eh?

I also believe that Satan absolutely loves alot of today's music. Just turn on MTV and you'll see what I mean. True talent and soul in music isn't as important as big boobs anymore. It's petty sad, but I believe Satan's happy with the music industry. Heck, look at all the musicians who die from drug overdoses. Clearly alot of people in the business are messed up.

That said, it doesn't make music evil in any way. Just like anything, you can use it for good or bad. I think that guy is definitely taking things too far.

When I was a kid my best friend was Church of Christ, and I went to church with her. It was strange, being the grandkid of a church organist, going to a church where they didn't believe in using musical instruments. I could never go to any church that taught that.

I wonder why this group ignores the many Scriptural references to make music with the harp, lyre, tamborine, etc. etc. etc.???? Ever open the Psalms?

This is backwards interpretation. Take a principle, find a quote out of context, and establish a new rule.

We are called to praise the Lord through singing and instruments.

Well, to come down to earth, it's very hard to find uplifting, talented, and positive music in the mainstream.

This is just one of the MANY examples of what was spoken of as "False Prophets" - America is full of Flase Prophets...Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Tim LaHaye and thousands of other lesser knowns. I fear the time has come where this kind of nonsense will become mainstream and "nornal" - The U.S. is too close to becoming a full on Theocracy, which if it happens will signal the end of days...you see the so called "Christian" nation (The U.S.A.) and the "Church" (mostly the Religious Right) may actually be the army of "The Beast" of Revelation. I've always had a sick feeling in my stomach when it comes to American Christianity (at least the Fundamentalist Right Wing kind) and I think people who tend to beleive such things better take a good hard look at themselves and thier "Churches". I hate to sound so whacked out but I think it's worth worrying about.

The article may bring up some decent points, but to bring C.S. Lewis into all of this is nothing short of ludicrous.

His Narnia chronicles, with partcular reference to the 'Aslan' comparison provided, were blatant metaphors for Christ and Christianity. The fact that Aslan resurrects should have been an explicit enough clue.

I'm not trying to ridicule anyone who's bought into that argument, but its something I truly believe Lewis never had the intention of selling. I also believe that if you are looking for literary evidence in his works to support such an argument, one would have to do better than that. Aslan has always represented Christ, not idolatry.

Ant.

Anthony said:
Aslan has always represented Christ, not idolatry.

Ant.

That's for certain. My kids were watching this over Thanksgiving break and StarzKids (the digital movie channel) played the animated "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and out of the blue my daughter said, "Aslan is a lot like Jesus mommy". At the end when he is killed and then comes back to life, she said"See mommy he is like Jesus!" She is 9.

Ok now onto music...

I don't really know how I feel in regards to this. I love music, no Love music, no LOVE MUSIC! The majority of my collection ( and I think it is somewhat sizeable are bands and groups that are not in any way God centered). Have I made a compromise in what I choose to listen to? Yeh I have.

I don't let what I listen to affect my beliefs, but in the end it does affect my mood, my mindset and my emotions so I guess it is something to consider.

Music is just so very important to me. The thing I think that should be asked is do I put it before God? No, I don't.

Interesting thread though and once again it has prompted me to think about what I choose to listen to.

Take Care,

Carrie

I believe music is a gift from God, and it's like anything else we humans have, we can abuse this gift as well as use it well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom