Al Gore on Bush Economics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]I'm convinced one reason we've had so many nasty surprises in our economy is that the country somehow got lots of false impressions about what we could expect from the big tax cuts that were enacted, including: one, the tax cuts would unleash a lot of new investment that would create lots of new jobs; two, we wouldn't have to worry about a return to big budget deficits, because all the new growth in the economy caused by the tax cuts would lead to a lot of new revenue; three, most of the benefits would go to average middle-income families not to the wealthy, as some partisans claimed.

Unfortunately, here, too, every single one of these impressions turned out to be wrong. Instead of creating jobs, for example, we are losing millions of jobs: three years in a row of net losses. That hasn't happened since the Great Depression.

As I've noted before, I was the first one laid off.

And you never forget something like that.

And it turns out that most of the benefits of the tax cuts actually are going to the highest-income Americans, who, unfortunately, are the least likely group to spend money in ways that create jobs during times when the economy is weak and unemployment is rising.

And, of course, the budget deficits are already the biggest ever, with the worst still due to hit us. As a percentage of our economy, we have had bigger deficits, but these are by far the most dangerous we've ever had for two reasons. First, they're not temporary; they're structural and long-term. Second, they're going to get even bigger just at the time when the big baby boomer retirement surge starts. Moreover, the global capital markets have begun to recognize the unprecedented size of this emerging fiscal catastrophe.

In truth, the current executive branch of the U.S. government is radically different from any since the McKinley administration 100 years ago.

The 2001 winner of the Nobel Prize for Economics, George Akerlof, went even further last week in Germany when he told Der Spiegel, and I quote, ``This is the worst government the U.S. has ever had in its more than 200 years of history.''

I didn't say that. That's the winner of the Nobel Prize for Economics.

He said, ``This is not normal policy.'' In describing the impact of the Bush policies on America's future, Akerlof added, quote, ``What we have here is a form of looting,'' end quote. Now again, that's the Nobel Prize winner in economics.

Ominously, the capital markets have just pushed U.S. long-term mortgage rates higher soon after the Federal Reserve Board once again reduced discount rates. Monetary policy loses some of its potency when fiscal policy just comes unglued, and after three years of rate cuts in a row, Alan Greenspan and his colleagues simply don't have much room left for further reductions. [/Q]

http://drudgereport.com/flash5g.htm

Screaming Flower said:
it still makes me wonder if he will inevitably run in '04.

Well, in the same speech he stated that he definitely was not going to.

I can;t believe I am saying this, but as of now, I wish he would. He is their best candidate.

IMHO

Excellently written. Unfortunately, it is charisma and fearmongering that wins an election.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
Hence, the lack of suggestions for what would work in the speech....

A cryptic response demands an elaboration...

Melon

Anyone can give a critique or predict doom for the economy.

I would hope Gore would go beyond playing to his audience and offer constructive solutions to the "problems" he highlights.

nbcrusader said:

I would hope Gore would go beyond playing to his audience and offer constructive solutions to the "problems" he highlights.

Get with the program....Haven't you heard about the lock box?

nbcrusader said:

Presidential candidates do that. Non presidential candidates and Ahrold Schwarzenegger don't do that. but it is nice to see someone else saying that stuff besides me.

Back
Top Bottom