Afghanistan: the risk of warlord terror remains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we should never have gone into iraq....time and time again this president was told that it would be a distraction from afghanistan! it really frightens me to think of 4 more years of this man. :(

I saw a special on afghan warlords yesterday on CNN. ONe in particular has an army of 25,000 to himself, and the US is PAYING them.
I cannot believe that

if they think the warlords are just going to lie down and give up power when they're asked, they might be in for a surprise.

besides, is it really moral to pay and ally yourself to a group a warlords who are responsible for much of the violence in the past years?

Damn, the U.S. is *paying* an Afghan warlord? That's stupid. I didn't see the special. Is the warlord being paid with the Northern Alliance? They were "our" allies against the Taliban, but there are some pretty serious problems with the Northern Alliance as per uniting the country is concerned. This place is a nightmare. I'd hate to have Hamid Karzai's job.

From my understanding, it's not unusual for the U.S. to pay in support of such leaders if it suits our interests.

theSoulfulMofo said:
From my understanding, it's not unusual for the U.S. to pay in support of such leaders if it suits our interests.

Perhaps not, but I question the wisdom of paying a warlord in Afghanistan. The warlords are a big part of the problem in Afghanistan; they are impeding the unity of the country, something the President of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai, is working like hell to achieve. If these guys are free to rule their own minions like this, and defy attempts to bring the country under a stable government in Kabul, it looks like bad news to me. Of course I don't know. I am not an expert on Afghanistan. But I do know some of these warlords were supporters of the Taliban, and some who opposed the Taliban did it for cynical, selfish reasons, not because they opposed the cruelty of the Taliban. It's a difficult, complex problem.

Back
Top Bottom