Administration May Back Away from AIDS and Anti-Poverty Commitments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
Ohh I can not believe it.. actually sadly I can.. but my heart sank.

After winning this year an historic $2 billion increase in assistance to fight AIDS and global poverty, DATA is very concerned about reports the Bush Administration may not continue this trend next year, stepping back from its headlin-grabbing announcements on these issuesThe President's request for 2005 for AIDS may be just $300 million more than appropriated for 2004, from $2.4 billion to $2.7 billion. This is less than half of the 1/3 U.S. share of the projected global need of $5.4 billion, and almost $1 billion short of levels authorized by Congress.

His request for the Millennium Challenge Account, a new account to support poor countries committed to fighting poverty and corruption, may rise to $2.5 billion from $1 billion this year. While this request would be significantly greater than the 2004 spending levels, it remains considerably lower than the $3.3 billion the White House had announced it would seek for 2005. In addition, $2.5 billion would not be enough to keep the program on track for $10 billion in new aid by 2006, as the President announced.

Sources also indicate that the White House would not request any increase in spending for core development accounts, resulting in a flat-lining of these accounts at the 2003 spending level. The core development accounts -- like Child Survival, debt relief and development assistance -- are crucial supports to the AIDS and MCA initiatives, but also to providing needed assistance to countries that do not qualify for those programs. DATA hopes that the White House will reconsider and that the final budget request will more accurately reflect the President?s stated commitment to Africa.

George George George.. what happened George did you start to lose friends?? What happened to the Senate .. what happened what happend.. A wheel fell off your fire truck...

Godspeed DATA and Bono .. don't lose faith now.
Moreover god be with all in Africa, I know he already is but they are gonna need him even more if people continue to back away from their Aid promises..

Please Paul Martin don't turn into George W. I beg you .

To everyone in the U.S , please if you think this is wrong make sure your government hears about it.. please cause it is you folks who can make the difference

Last edited:
yep it more then sucks..
again like bono has said people are dying for the supidest reasons.. money, I will add money and politics

The U.S I think is maybe at .33% wise of it's GDP to the Global Fund.. c'mon people you have got to be kidding me.

I know we need to do more in Canada as well but the US has so much more capacity.. how utterly dissapointing and I will end my
rant and roar at that

Last edited:
Speaking of stupid, this is stupid politics. There are security issues mixed up with this. What's to prevent bin Laden or some other :censored: with $$ to go into some of these countries--remember, Africa is 40% Moslem--tell the dirt poor people dying of AIDS the U.S. sucks, and wave paychecks in their faces? They'll take those paychecks..........unless we in the First World take our responsibilities seriously and prevent a disaster. It's within our power now. Later on it won't be.
Damn. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Did anyone think he'd really stick to his word on this? Come on this administration has no vision. They're blind. This won't make them money, why would they support something like this?

BonoVox, I so wanted to be wrong in thinking this was just another empty promise. I had so many doubts about this administration's devotion to really making a difference and leading the world in funding and getting the drug companies to annie up. What was I thinking? GWB talks a good game in state of the union addresses but he doesn't put any muscle behind his words or actions to get legislation passed or drug companies to take action on this issue. He's really ineffective since he owes them so much from the last election and the next for that matter. Yes, I will get political and I am furious about the fact that Halliburton (Cheney Inc.) will problably get away with overcharging the Army for oil to Iraq. This was nothing less than what I expected from the people surrounding Dubya. Now he's going to have to distance himself from these scoundrels or admit he's with them. We'll see.

Speaking of stupid, this is stupid politics. There are security issues mixed up with this. What's to prevent bin Laden or some other with $$ to go into some of these countries--remember, Africa is 40% Moslem--tell the dirt poor people dying of AIDS the U.S. sucks, and wave paychecks in their faces? They'll take those paychecks..........unless we in the First World take our responsibilities seriously and prevent a disaster. It's within our power now. Later on it won't be.

yep he should listen to Colin Powell, it is scary that my favourite political figure in the U.S is a General isn't it .. ughh.. but he is a smart man and a good man. He knows the implications of letting this burn out of control.

I just wonder who will George W. listen too..

How long to till we realise, this will effect our childrens childrens children. How long till we really can say we are good Global Citizens.. How long does the argument have to continue.. All George will succeed in doing is making even more enemies

Anyway I still hold on to a bit of my naieve self, I still see the good before the bad, thinking maybe just maybe the U.S would do something great on this .. BAD FORM GEORGE .

Ahh but I believe in the American people .. and in the human spirit .. to try and turn this around in the U.S ...

Merry Christmas George, may you finally see beyond the U.S border!!.

P.S there are all ready Bin-Ladens in Africa.. we already know that there are terroist cells. there. it's like throwing fuel on the fire ..

Last edited:
:sigh:...as if I didn't have enough reasons to not vote for Bush next year...

verte76 said:
Speaking of stupid, this is stupid politics. There are security issues mixed up with this. What's to prevent bin Laden or some other :censored: with $$ to go into some of these countries--remember, Africa is 40% Moslem--tell the dirt poor people dying of AIDS the U.S. sucks, and wave paychecks in their faces? They'll take those paychecks..........unless we in the First World take our responsibilities seriously and prevent a disaster. It's within our power now. Later on it won't be.

Exactly right. Many people have been telling Bush that over and over and over again. You'd think, if he really wanted to end this war on terror and help with re-election, that he'd, oh, I don't know, listen to those words?

Originally posted by sue4u2
BonoVox, I so wanted to be wrong in thinking this was just another empty promise.

So did I. I'm far from being a fan of the Bush administration, and have made that quite clear from the beginning. But I guess I still had some hope that maybe, just maybe, Bush would at least do one thing right in regards to this, something that I could at least give him credit for-I held the same optimism Bono did. That, and I did not want to see Bono, DATA, all the people who've been fighting for this cause, and the African people, be let down once again.

And now it looks as though they will be. Damnit, Bush...:banghead: :mad: :rant:...

But, like Katey, I still have hope for the American people. So at least there's that.

Angela

The trick is not to get discouraged by the buggers that make this so hard.. I am dissheartened for Bono and DATA .. but they need to hold there heads high and trudge through and they will . We would never have gotten this far without them. Ya know this is just gonna make Bono even stronger on this. he wont take it sitting down.. Nor should any of us...

Katey said:
The trick is not to get discouraged by the buggers that make this so hard.. I am dissheartened for Bono and DATA .. but they need to hold there heads high and trudge through and they will . We would never have gotten this far without them. Ya know this is just gonna make Bono even stronger on this. he wont take it sitting down.. Nor should any of us...

Agreed. We're angry and we're gonna let it show.

The Bush administration may want to look out...

Angela

Well I just thank God I can exercise my right to vote

Anyone who is angry enough about this can obviously do the same. I think GWB "misunderestimates" the importance of this issue.

Last edited:
Get those letters out guys! You can go to DATA's website and do a "Keep America's Promise" thing, or as I recommend, give the White House a call! Bush's addy and ph # is at Bono's Angels, link in my sig (I don't remember it offhand, and am on my way out the door....) Would one of the Angels be willing to write a short letter we can all send? I'm finishing up finals week. :huh: Be great if we can get a US one and a Candadian one.

Thanks for this, Katey!

Cheryl

No problem.. thank all of you for caring about it. I reiterate everyone go to the DATA website and tell your leaders what you think, they really do read letters and e-mail

http://www.datadata.org/action/signup/?mode=tellyourleaders

other links write your reps at: http://congress.com/

for Canadians:
Right Hon. Paul Martin (pm@pm.gc.ca)
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa
K1A 0A2
Fax: 613-941-690

I am happy to do up a letter for Canadians, maybe we can also start a thread here and collect names etc.. and send it off to U.S President, Congress etc...

Moonlit_Angel said:

Agreed. We're angry and we're gonna let it show.

The Bush administration may want to look out...

Angela

I'm ready to make a demonstration sign if I have to. They'd talked about getting people in the streets. I'm mad. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Who is in the area? Or willing to travel? Verte, maybe the two of us should organize a lil sumthin....:mad:

Meanwhile, if anyone is willing to write a letter and post it here, I can put it up on the site, too, and we can generate some heat. A couple of paragraphs will be all that's needed. I can't do it until like Wed or so when finals are over....

sd

As concerned global citizens we dissapointed to hear from sources that your request for 2005 for AIDS may be just $300 million more than appropriated for 2004, from $2.4 billion to $2.7 billion. This is less than half of the 1/3 U.S. share of the projected global need of $5.4 billion, and almost $1 billion short of levels authorized by Congress. Also we are concerned that the White House will not indicate an increase in spending in the coming year for core development accounts which are crucial supporting AIDS initiatives.We urge the Administration to propose a budget for 2005 that provides funding which meets the needs of the millions of people dying all of the world from AIDS, TB, and Malaria. We support the United States spending $5.4 billion for global AIDS, TB and Malaria in 2005. We respectfully request that you deliver on your promise to the world by proposing a budget for 2005 which will fully fund the United State's share of the world's need for global AIDS, TB, and Malaria.

As not only Americans but Global Citizens, we refuse to vote for any presidential candidate who doesn't indorse this platform. The pandemic must be brought to an end and can be brought to an end if only our government can muster the political will to make it happen. Our government seems to continue to lag behind on this marathon race when it should be a sprinting to put the fire out on this emergency. We commend Congress and the Administration for their work on legislation that when fully appropriated will result in $2 billion increase in global assistance, which will result in $1.2 billion extra for Africa . This needs to be appropriated urgently so that we get the money where it is needed

We the undersigned request that congress move urgently to release these funds and that the Administration review 2005 funding levels to ensure that they accurately reflect our commitment to Africa.

That might be starting point for you re: a letter .. what do you think???

Sure I wrote it up ..so if you want to use it fantastic.. please do..post it where you like if you think people will find it helpful..

Last edited:
THE KAISER NETWORK:

CongressDaily reports (CongressDaily, 12/11) The Bush administration has told cabinet departments that the administration's FY 2005 spending proposal will include "relatively small" funding increases for HIV/AIDS programs and the Millennium Challenge Account. The proposal will include $2.5 billion in new funds for the Millennium Challenge Account and $1.1 billion in additional funds for global HIV/AIDS programs, according to individuals familiar with Bush's proposal. Those amounts -- along with the funds yet to be approved in the FY 2004 spending bill -- account for 18% of the $30 billion in spending increases the White House promised would take place by 2008. If Congress approves the funding levels in Bush's proposal, most of the promised spending increases would be stalled until after the 2004 presidential election (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 12/10

DATA info is from sources in the Administration ( or elsewhere) that can not be named but that have given these reports or indications.

The House this week approved the $820 billion fiscal year 2004 omnibus spending bill, which contains $2.4 billion for FY 2004 spending on international AIDS, TB and malaria initiatives. The Senate failed to vote on the bill before its winter recess; Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) scheduled a vote on the bill for Jan. 20, when the Senate reconvenes (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 12/10)

how about 6500 lives a day in Africa while we wait on that one. For anyone who might think I am simply attacking the U.S : for the record the G7 countries not just the States.. need to step up to the plate

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Well I just thank God I can exercise my right to vote

Anyone who is angry enough about this can obviously do the same. I think GWB "misunderestimates" the importance of this issue.

LOL, exactly.

I'm more and more thrilled about the fact that I'm going to be able to vote for a president next year. And I'll be writing some more letters, it looks like.

And verte, yes, go demonstrate! Bang on those dustbins! :D.

Angela

:eyebrow: Even Bono said that he believed George Bush REALLY DOES care about the African emergency. Please don't blame Bush, when there are tons of other factors affecting the decision for the amount of money given to this problem. The country isn't run SOLELY by the President. There are tons of other issues affecting this (truly) heart-breaking decision. I believe that George W. has done a good job, so far.

That SAID, I'd be more than happy to picket about this, if the amount is (definately) less than 3 MILL:( :huh:

Last edited:
sarah_U27 said:
:eyebrow: Even Bono said that he believed George Bush REALLY DOES care about the African emergency. Please don't blame Bush, when there are tons of other factors affecting the decision for the amount of money given to this problem. The country isn't run SOLELY by the President. There are tons of other issues affecting this (truly) heart-breaking decision. I believe that George W. has done a good job, so far.

He either didn't try or couldn't convince not one person in his own party to vote for this. That says a lot. Bush has failed this issue.

You see, THIS IS PRECISELY why I stay (usually) out of POLITICS.

The obscenity and b.s. drives me :crazy:http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3277

excerpt--
This is the defining moral issue of our time," Bono said in phone call from Washington. He had just returned from South Africa.

"Two and a half million Africans are going to die next year because they can't get hold of drugs we take for granted. We have these drugs that simply aren't getting to them.

"If you remember the story of the Good Samaritan, well, when it comes to Africa, we're not just crossing the road to avoid the man who needs help, we're catching a bus in the other direction."

Still, Bono, 43, is more hopeful this Christmas than last. President Bush has committed $2 billion to the cause. Congress is considering a 5-year $15 billion global AIDS initiative. The House approved the measure Monday, but the Senate delayed action until January.

"The U.S. is planning to double its aid to Africa. That's good news," he said.

"And I think the American church is finally waking up to the emergency. The sleeping giant is lumbering to its feet and realizing AIDS is a bit like leprosy in the time of Christ.

SO,

MISS

'WHOEVER STARTED THIS THREAD'
You have your numbers wrong.

:eyebrow:

Last edited:
Well if my numbers are wrong then please show me and I will correct them. However that phone call from Bono was before this new news regarding the US backing away from the budget for 2005 , not the doubling in 2004 which will be sent through in January. So friend what the U.S said they were going to do in 2005 is what they are backing away from . My numbers come from credible sources .. If you want to check them out then go to the Kaiser network or to DATA site . I am happy to explain what the numbers actually mean to you. Currently the actuall amount that the U.S has contributed per GDP sits around .15 .( it will move up tp .33).Canada .29 and the Uk aroun .44. The target is .7

Well...just an observation....Bono's comments are from December 13....your thread and numbers are from December 12....LOL....But who knows...:wink:

I will now....slink out of this thread...

Last edited:
His request for the Millennium Challenge Account, a new account to support poor countries committed to fighting poverty and corruption, may rise to $2.5 billion from $1 billion this year. While this request would be significantly greater than the 2004 spending levels, it remains considerably lower than the $3.3 billion the White House had announced it would seek for 2005. In addition, $2.5 billion would not be enough to keep the program on track for $10 billion in new aid by 2006, as the President announced.

Thats from DATA , Bono being cofounder. This new information was released after that interview you posted with Bono.

Last edited:
Stuff like this is why I demonstrate. Demonstrations are peaceful, orderly ways to say I don't agree with the government. I don't agree with the particulars of the strategy on the war against terror. I do not doubt that Bush and Co are 100% against terror. I'd just like to point out to them that the situation is Africa is very dangerous to the U.S, Canada, Europe, in general, the first world. We share the globe with the Third World. 9/11 showed us that we live right next door to these people. Africa is 40% Moslem. We can't afford *not* to help the people who are going through the worst public health crisis since the Black Death. The Black Death impacted Europe, big time, socially, economically and even religiously (so many clergy were lost that unqualified clergy became a pain in the neck to the Church). This scares the :censored: out of me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom