Addenda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
In no particular order:

* It hit me the other day why "God Bless America," out of all the trite phrases used in this war, makes me a bit uneasy. Perhaps this is me pulling things out of proportion, but, to me, that phrase seems like some people are trying to make this out to be a "holy war." I've never understood how anyone could equate war with religion. Secular defense necessities, yes. Holy war, no.

* My priest back home, apparently, went on a tirade about the evilness of Harry Potter, on the premise that it talks about witchcraft. Perhaps I've always been a bit odd, but I used to read lots of fiction that dealt with the supernatural, with some hints of witchcraft. Not once did I ever consider any of it to be real. In fact, I didn't know people were still "witches" until I hit college. Likewise, I once met a girl, who told me that she thought the Bible was fiction and that Church was a weekly stage play until she hit college. I did find that to be a bit odd, but I guess it shows you that most people really don't take what they read seriously.

However, I did find my priest's reactionary hysteria to Harry Potter a bit disconcerting, further turning me off to organized Christianity. And, silly me, I thought the book/film bannings went away with Vatican II. I guess some habits die hard.

* I took a vacation from the forum, and I realized that I didn't miss it once. I'm sure some, perhaps, noticed my absence, and I'm considering making it permanent. There was something refreshing about living in a world without the internet, and, perhaps still, I'm happier without it. Regardless, I notoriously change my mind, and, even if I did decide to leave one day, I doubt I'd tell anyone, if only because I would be more tempted to return as a result.

* I realized, one day, that I'm really tired of being smart. Unfortunately, the problem with that is that once knowledge goes in, it's a hell of a time trying to forget it. In fact, with all the education I've received, I really want to pursue two jobs unrelated to my degree: modeling and screenwriting. Perhaps it is silly, but I almost think that I enjoy intellectualism as a hobby over a profession. Is it wrong to find pleasure in the silly things of life, when, within your mind, you, potentially, have the recipes to change the world?

* I really love photography at a philosophical and artistic level. I love capturing moments in time, and nothing pleases me more than capturing the human figure in action. I took 152 pictures of wrestling the other weekend, and I'm almost astounded how these tiny fractions of a second permanently burned on film have turned out so beautiful. It was quite chaotic in person, but a graceful tribute to man in film. Funny how things change via different media.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Melon,
As far as the Harry Potter thing goes, the reasons Christians and Jews object is because the Bible expressly forbids sorcery, and specifically mentions things that are done in the Harry Potter books and movie. This movie glorifies sorcery and sends the message that it's okay.
Also, I feel so bad that you are having such a hard time because you are so smart. I guess it's a curse you must bear in order to enlighten the rest of us.

Hmmm...

I think that obsessing over condemnation of Harry Potter and telling people it's sorcery is more likely to stir up people to consider conversion to witchcraft than if it were left alone. I think that Harry Potter glorifies sorcery no differently than the Bible glorifies genocide in the book of Joshua--basically, people see these as stories, rather than an ideal to try and recreate. I think we need to give people a little more credit intellectually than we give them. I highly doubt there will be a mass conversion to Wicca as a result of Harry Potter, but, most certainly, you may get a whole new generation of youngsters turned off to Christianity if it condemns their favorite fiction hero any further.

And I hope that line #2 isn't sarcasm...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

New addenda:

* I've found it interesting the number of Interferencers I've talked to who have complimented me on my various postings on this forum, but have never posted here themselves. I've asked them all why, and it's because they think they'd get bullied around. I have noticed a very strong conservative element in this forum the past few months, perhaps only accelerated since Sept. 11th. I've wondered if such a realization should disconcert people here; that if enough people are not comfortable to free their mind, perhaps some changes must be made informally by the posters here? The sometimes acidic remarks here, often compounded by sarcasm, surely contribute to this implicit ostracism.

Melon

------------------

... Not all Catholic priests are created equal!

My dear "Monsignor Gerrie" at my Catholic Church AND School allows Harry Potter books. Theres a mess of them in the library.
He also has a children's Halloween Festival,...Witches, gouls, and all.

It actually DID concern THIS psuedo-liberal Catholic, in fact.... So I asked him about it. He calmly looked at me and with a warm smile said, "If they don't want to read it, or take part in a festival... They don't have to!"

... I... didn't know what else to say... So I just shut up.

smile.gif

BTW, what's "addenda"??? Am I stupid for not knowing what that is?

Peace

Originally posted by melon:
Hmmm...
And I hope that line #2 isn't sarcasm...

Yes, Melon, line 2 is sarcasm, but not in the way you might think. I have no doubt that you are intelligent. What I was talking about was this continuous drone of yours "oh woe is me...it is so difficult to be so damn smart". Melon, have you never heard of ...humility...modesty? I think those two characteristics are much more important in a person than "book smarts". Maybe you don't know it, but it gets awfully tiring hearing from your own lips how intelligent you are. And no, I don't feel bad about this bit of sarcasm, because this one was in direct response to you rather than the way I had been know to do it in the past, hit and run "behind your back".

This thread is simply a "stream of consciousness" thread, about my various complaints/observations of life. First of all, I am smart, and I'm not going to be apologetic and/or "modest" about it, quite simply in the same way you aren't "modest" about the fact that you are "Christian" on this forum. Can you say "humility" and "modesty" yourself? But that's right. A true Christian shoves his/her beliefs in everyone's face. That's what the Bible commands, so it's not arrogant, yes?

I have grown to hate this forum really, and it is about petty shit like this. This place is fucking "Free Your Mind" for God's sake, and all I ever do in here anymore is defend semantical ideas anymore, rather than issues. Rather than delve as to whether knowledge is a curse or a blessing (society exults it, but Ecclesiastes, for instance, laments it) for anyone really, now it's about two-faced sarcasm and the fact that I didn't sugar-coat everything in modesty over the fact that I think I'm smart. Brilliance as always emanating from this insipid macabre of a forum, whitewashed in a right-wing kind of political correctness.

I remember why I came into this forum in the first place, but, honestly, I question why I even keep on posting here.

Melon

------------------

i don't know if i'm smart enough to be posting in here.
hehehe
no honestly melon some interesting thoughts.
your 'world without the internet', i'm curious as to what media you are exposing yourself to? or by media do you simply mean avoiding this particular site?

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Screenwriting.........going to conform at all to the type of scripts that get bought or keep it personal as possible?

~rougerum

You dont like sugar coating.

Good.

Your post is the most egotistical post i have ever read.

Hey, news flash this forum will survive without you as you will survive without it. Its only a forum not your purpose in life.

And when you come in here and post like this you cant be looking for anything but agrevation from the people you know hate you for the "big head" you posses.

I have left this forum because its full of alot of shit and meaningless posts, coupled with how busy i am. But to respond to this is my pleasure!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

New addenda:

* I've found it interesting the number of Interferencers I've talked to who have complimented me on my various postings on this forum, but have never posted here themselves. I've asked them all why, and it's because they think they'd get bullied around. I have noticed a very strong conservative element in this forum the past few months, perhaps only accelerated since Sept. 11th. I've wondered if such a realization should disconcert people here; that if enough people are not comfortable to free their mind, perhaps some changes must be made informally by the posters here? The sometimes acidic remarks here, often compounded by sarcasm, surely contribute to this implicit ostracism.

Melon

I am one of the people Melon was talking about. I read FYM but I don't usually post here because I consider it to be a hostile place. I don't feel comfortable sharing my views here because I feel like people would just bash me and I am not the only one who feels that way.

There was nothing wrong with what Melon posted in this thread. I think some of you just have a knee-jerk negative reaction to anything he posts and it is constantly having to defend himself against people like you that is making him hate the forum and want to leave. You are wearing him out. He has a right to his opinions even if they happen to be different from yours and he has a right to express those opinions. I'm sorry if some of the things he said came across as being "arrogant" to you but I know Melon a bit better than most of you and I know that he is not arrogant and it was not his intention to come across that way. Melon is a great asset to this forum whether you realize it or not. You all need to get off his case.

Gao
mad.gif

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Calluna babe, and melon babe. Im wondering if it is personal. I dont think it is. I think folks are just sick of the same tired arguments over and over again. I tend to see more shit fly over an argument/point that has already been flogged, whether it is something as specific and personal as melon's intelligence or as broad and debatable as catholicism in the year 2001. They become arguments because of a couple of reasons: its been argued already, or because there is no conclusion. Many things debated here have no answer, we would all agree. But too often the gist of the reply is 'thats wrong, cos this is how I see it...' Its not so much a place for offering opinions as it is a place to recieve a lecture on why your belief is wrong. Perhaps thats just me. I do know that a few times Ive made comments about this or that and have been attacked then again because I wont back down on it. Which is where I can understand your hesitance in replying here. Then there is the times you have something valid to offer but it goes unnoticed. But you just shrug it off. I really dont see melon as more intelligent because of his topics. I do believe he is a very smart and well read individual. But the shining point is his skills in arguing or putting forward ideas. If people are intimidated by that, they shouldn't be. Anyone can out together a well thought out and planned response, but probably cant be bothered. If people could just ignore the things they dont like, it would be easier for them. There are many things that are boring to me on this forum and others, but you just ignore them. No need for anyone to attack or make things personal. I dont like the idea that you dont feel comfortable with replying here. I can see why, but its not right. You have an opinion as valid and legitimate as anyone else, you may have your own style of writing too, and no one should jump on you for it. Same with melon. If he feels its all been said and he has nothing to offer, I dont agree. Its not what people say but how its recieved that's the problem.

Maybe we could add a mix of things not political or relgious to balance it all out.

Oh, and an addenda or addendum is like an appendix, or something added.

Not to nitpick or anything, but addenda is the plural form of addendum.
wink.gif

Anyway, I believe that Angela is right in her assessment of what causes these things. But it can be very intimidating for someone new to this forum to try to voice their opinion that has already been discussed before because some of the oldies immediately get up in arms about it. Then again, I have nothing against people getting a bit riled up when provoked, if they state their case in an intelligent and well thought out manner. That's why two of my favourite posters are Melon and 80sU2IsBest, as weird as that may sound.

But sometimes it does get pretty damn ugly in here, which is why I recently dissappeared for a couple of months. This, however, is usually caused by individuals who are not interested in participating in discussions that are not highly flammable. That's when the mudslinging begins, and yes, it gets to me too. A bit of teasing and provocation is okay, but there are unfortunately also people here with one hell of a mean streak. I try to avoid them, but it's hard not to take offense sometimes.

*trying to think of a clever way of wrapping up this post*

Well... toodles!
biggrin.gif

hahah klod babeeeee, not to nitpick or anything, but melon's post WAS plural!!!! Yes, I am always right. Concede now. Kidding...
biggrin.gif

All I want to add is that its very sad that people wont post here or are turned off. Like melon so eloquently put it, this is f***ing free your mind. Like Mitsubishi said, "Please Consider"

80sU2isBest;

Do you really agree with the notion that Harry Potter is evil? I know that you are very religious, but, with all due respect, the view that Harry Potter is evil is really REALLY quite laughable.

I'm sorry, but the sheer arrogance of the Catholic church, or any other doctrine, that chooses to condemm literature for any reason, especially when its a literature that does particular good to society. The Catholic church condemming the Harry Potter phenomenon is just as bad as Islam condemming Salman Rushdie's 'THE SATANIC VERSES' (which, incidentally, is a bloody good read)and putting a price tag on his head.

Oh, how I would love to take you Catholics (or Christians of any school) back to the time when Christianity was considered evil, black magic, witchcraft and wizardy. Back to the time when it was considered nothing better than a destructive cult, an evil and absolutely malevolent force that threatened to destroy an entire empire (and, granted... it did).

Melon, I would LOVE to chat with your priest, he seems to be a rather amusing fellow. Not to mention deluded.

Ant.

Look at the monster of a thread you created melon; this is either talent or a curse
smile.gif

Harry Potter. I don't think 80s was saying the books are evil in themselves, he was agreeing with the possible negative influence they could have. Then again, almost anything floating around in the modern world has possible negative influence. I don't think Harry Potter is evil myself; I just think the books are Boring. To melon, honestly I think it is foolish to get disillusioned with your religion, or Christianity in general, just because your priest reacted too strongly towards Harry Potter, while you yourself know inside that his reaction was wrong. In other words, you know he is not being wise about it yet you get affected by him. If you're still not happy about it, consider changing church or denomination?

Wisdom is like maturity, I think. The rule is that you're not allowed to say or even acknowledge that you're mature because once you do, it shows a lack of it. As someone great once said, "the more I know, the more I know that I do not know", or was it "the more I learn, the more there is to learn".

Can you say "humility" and "modesty" yourself? But that's right. A true Christian shoves his/her beliefs in everyone's face. That's what the Bible commands, so it's not arrogant, yes?
You don't truly believe that of Christians, do you, melon?

The opinion that the Bible glorifies genocide is looking at it pretty narrowly. Putting it very simply, the Bible shows that God punishes nations who behave badly. Jeremiah 44, for eg. What is this big chip against Christianity or the Bible that you carry on your shoulder?
confused.gif

Calluna and others: I'd like to see more opinions in this forum; sometimes it gets repetitive hearing the same people say the same things, don't you agree? Perhaps the harsh arguments that go on here are a result of accumulated understanding of the different personalities here; for instance, 80s has read melon's statements on religion elsewhere hence his strong reaction to melon's statements here, maybe. I guess strong reactions against familiar people here discourage 'strangers' from posting. I think Angela Harlem made a lot of sense, too, in her reply.

me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by famous rungi (edited 11-26-2001).]

I am smart, and I'm not going to be apologetic and/or "modest" about it, quite simply in the same way you aren't "modest" about the fact that you are "Christian" on this forum. Can you say "humility" and "modesty" yourself? But that's right. A true Christian shoves his/her beliefs in everyone's face. That's what the Bible commands, so it's not arrogant, yes?
Melon, I have NEVER boasted about my Christian faith and you know it. In fact, many times, I have stated just the opposite, that I have received grace from God and that it is in nothing I have done, but a complete gift of God. I have never said "what a great Christian I am" or anything like that. In fact, I have often admitted my own sins and have said time and time again that my sinfulness is the reason I am unable to be saved on my own and need the sacrifice of Christ. I don't go around bragging "How Christian I am am".
And as far as "shoving" my beliefs, you know that's a crock, also. One time, I posted a "Call to prayer" thread that was obviously intended for other Christians. Other than that, all the times I have shared my beliefs have been in response to the topic of the thread. Shoved? Hardly? Shared the Gospel? Yes. And that is what we are commanded to do. And I also defend my faith when it is under attack.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 11-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Not to nitpick or anything, but addenda Then again, I have nothing against people getting a bit riled up when provoked, if they state their case in an intelligent and well thought out manner. That's why two of my favourite posters are Melon and 80sU2IsBest, as weird as that may sound.
Thanks, Klodomir, that was very nice of you! I always enjoying corresponding with you, also. Sometimes you and I agree, sometimes we don't. But that's what political forums are about, ain't it grand.

Originally posted by bonoman:
You dont like sugar coating.

Good.

Your post is the most egotistical post i have ever read.

Hey, news flash this forum will survive without you as you will survive without it. Its only a forum not your purpose in life.

And when you come in here and post like this you cant be looking for anything but agrevation from the people you know hate you for the "big head" you posses.

I have left this forum because its full of alot of shit and meaningless posts, coupled with how busy i am. But to respond to this is my pleasure!

"If only the sugar were as sweet as you" -- Hans Moleman

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by Calluna:
I am one of the people Melon was talking about. I read FYM but I don't usually post here because I consider it to be a hostile place. I don't feel comfortable sharing my views here because I feel like people would just bash me and I am not the only one who feels that way.

There was nothing wrong with what Melon posted in this thread. I think some of you just have a knee-jerk negative reaction to anything he posts and it is constantly having to defend himself against people like you that is making him hate the forum and want to leave. You are wearing him out. He has a right to his opinions even if they happen to be different from yours and he has a right to express those opinions. I'm sorry if some of the things he said came across as being "arrogant" to you but I know Melon a bit better than most of you and I know that he is not arrogant and it was not his intention to come across that way. Melon is a great asset to this forum whether you realize it or not. You all need to get off his case.
Gao
mad.gif

I respect you for voicing your opinion, Calluna, and you should not feel like you will get "bashed" for voicing your opinion. If I disagree with you, I will certainly debate with you, but I will not call you names, or anything like that. I have been known to use sarcasm, but that is usually when I have been pushed. And I haven't been that way near as much for the last several months, since I felt bad for a response I made to someone who is now my forum friend, bono_man. Usually, if I have misbehaved, I will apologize. In fact, for a while, I was following Melon around and every time he seemed to me to be acting arrogantly, I would make some smart aleck quip and then run. But I recently apologized for that, and now will make smart aleck quips to his face. So, if you think I have mistreated you, let me know, and if I agree that I was too sarcastic, I will apologize.
However, if you think that Melon is an innocent in all this, I'm wondering what posts you have been reading. It is not the fact that he has different opinions that get some of us going; it is the way he presents them.
One of the reasons I and several others get miffed with Melon is because of his constant boasting about his intelligence. Believe me, when you're in a debate with him, he often does indeed come off sounding arrogant and superior. So no, I will not get off his case about that.
Another thing that you may not be aware of, and of specific concern for me, is that Melon has a real anger and hatred toward fundamental Christianity. He has started thread after thread in which he has railed on and attacked fundamentalist Christianity. It is a constant for him, and sometimes it gets quite ugly. Since I consider myself a fundamentalist, it of course upsets me. Everyone knows I do not agree with Islam, Hinduism, and other religions. But everyone also knows I respect others' views enough not to start threads that lash out on the religions.

New:

* Is it better to go out with a bang or to just fade away? Is a "bang," however, less effective because people nearly expect it nowadays? Can a slowly calculated idea somehow be more effective than throwing out all your proverbial weaponry at once?

* Is pettiness inherent within human nature or just the internet? Can people sincerely enjoy a conversation where they disagree vehemently with everything the opponent states? Can one be fervently religious while also being a pupil of science and rationalism? Or should one feel compelled to choose?

Lurkers...post here. I'm telling you right now that you are smart enough to be in "Free Your Mind," and if any asshole starts bullying you around, I will smack them up. Most assuredly.

Melon

------------------

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 11-26-2001).]

In case anyone has noticed, I'm attempting to get people to think here. Discuss. This is a thread on philosophy. But I'm verily disappointed so far.

As for the issue of "boasting" or "arrogance," it's a dead issue. Move on.

Melon

------------------

Ned Flanders: And Harry Potter, and all his friends.... went to hell for practicing witchcraft! (throws book into fire)

Todd: YAY!!!

------------------
Change is the only constant

On Harry Potter:
I've never read the books or seen the movie, but I don't feel like Christians should have a problem with them. It's fantasy, and I think that's the way kids look at it. When watching re-runs of Bewitched when I was a kid, I never once thought "Hey, maybe I can learn some spells and clean my room by wiggling my nose". The Bible does condemn sorcery, mediums, and the like, but I don't think that's what this is. I don't think the "magic" in THe Lord of the Rings or The Chronicals of Narnia is "evil" either. I just don't see Harry Potter leading kids into the practice of witchcraft. Maybe that's naive.
I don't think my pastor has any problem with Harry P. Melon, maybe you should join us conservative evangelicals
wink.gif

On "God Bless America":
The phrase doesn't lead me to the "holy war" connection, but it does bother me a bit. It's fine for people to ask God to bless this country, but I get the impression that some people think we are somehow "deserving" of God's blessing because a horrible act was committed against us. This is most definitely not the case.
Also, I think this phrase is usually used as a statement of love of country, when I think it really ought to be a statement of faith in God.

On Pettiness:
I say it's inherent within human nature, and if not inherent, then it's just wicked pervasive. It takes constant effort to be nice.

On People Sincerely Enjoying a Conversation Where They Disagree Vehemently with Everything the Opponent States:
I think it depends on the people. Some people just hate conflict too much to be able to enjoy a conversation like that. I think it's possible for me. I think one of the big problems of a forum like "Free Your Mind" is that people feel like a discussion isn't complete until their "opponent" concedes victory. Things get beaten to death because no one will drop it until they "win" the argument, which rarely happens. I say, state your views, read others' views, comment on others' views if you want, maybe clarify your views, but realize that in the end you will still disagree with someone in here. And that's ok.

Disclaimer:
My comments, particularly on the first two topics, are made from a Christian viewpoint.

Meaningless Statement:
Remember the Jelly Doughnut!

Name:
Spiral Staircase

melon, if this is another of your stunts to just rouse people, to simply generate discussion without claiming responsibility (you haven't replied to my post, for instance)... then I would think three times before replying to your posts, in the future. I'm a little disappointed now; it seems to me that you do agitate just for the sake of agitating or garnering responses. Is this really true? Sigh.

me.

In case anyone has noticed, I'm attempting to get people to think here. Discuss. This is a thread on philosophy. But I'm verily disappointed so far.

As for the issue of "boasting" or "arrogance," it's a dead issue. Move on.

Melon

I did not even miss you.

Topic ? I can`t make a choice. Or are you the topic ? Anyway, just make a smart remark and we can walk on.

* I realized, one day, that I'm really tired of being smart.

Melon

I know how you feel, Melon. I'm tired of being smart, handsome, witty, and awesome in bed.

------------------
Kennedy

Back
Top Bottom