ABC accused of Live 8 indecency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Parents group asks FCC to levy a fine on all stations who failed to censor obscenities in show.
July 15, 2005: 9:02 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A parents group on Thursday accused the ABC television network of violating broadcast decency standards when it failed to censor all profanity uttered during the recent Live 8 concert, an event held to draw attention to poverty in poor countries.

The Parents Television Council, which has filed numerous complaints about potentially indecent material on television, asked the Federal Communications Commission to levy a fine on ABC stations for failing to censor the July 2 performance of "Who Are You" by The Who.

"The program was aired on a tape delay, which should have given ABC ample time to edit all obscenities from the concert prior to broadcast," Tim Winter, PTC executive director, said in a statement.

The complaint was filed against the Washington, D.C., ABC affiliate WJLA, but the council asked the FCC to take action against all the ABC stations that aired the profanity, according to a spokeswoman for the organization.

U.S. law bars radio and television broadcasters from airing obscene material, and limits them to airing indecent material, typically profanity or sexually explicit content, to late night hours when children are less likely to be watching.

"Unfortunately, one inappropriate phrase sung by one performer was initially missed and made it into the East Coast network feed," ABC said in a statement. "It was subsequently edited out of the West Coast feed."

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. (Research)

The FCC in the past has gone both ways in handling profanity on television. It decided against taking action when ABC aired the profanity-laden film "Saving Private Ryan." Yet the agency said NBC stations violated the law when Irish U2 rocker Bono swore during the 2003 Golden Globe Awards program, although it issued no fines.

Networks and federal regulators are clashing over indecency standards -- read more here.
*taken from cnn.com*

OK, fine the network. It's not exactly the biggest crime in the world but if it's been agreed that this isn't acceptable, just do it. I personally think a kid is going to hear this kind of thing at school anyway, and there are worse things in the world, but if that's what they decided it's the law.

What I thought was odd is that the BBC didn't censor any of the TV coverage, and yet they didn't broadcast the Snoop Dogg or Velvet Revolver sets on Radio 2 because of the swearing they envisaged would, and did indeed, occur! :huh:

If the FCC cares *that* much, why not make THEM in charge of censoring live broadcast performances/award shows?

dazzlingamy said:
LOL

i love how violence is such an INGRAINED part of society that hardly gets a peek out of people but saying fuck and everyones running for the phones..

our society is sure messed up.

I agree that this is based on some ridiculous priorities. Isn't murder or beating up on someone worse than a bit of raunchy language?

Yea...and considering how morally outraged this people are...they should be morally outraged about the emergency behind Live8. I'd think it'd be harder as a parent trying to explain to my kids why they are showing pictures of children their own age dying because of where they were born, than explaining how "fuck" is a word not to be used.

"This is really really fucking great" :

Last edited:
Why don't these people complain about the content and intent of lyrics rather than a vocal sound that is morally neutral in and of itself?

I'd much rather my hypothetical young child hear Bono say "fuck" than listen to some of the lewd and disgusting lyrics some artists sing.

Judah said:
Didn't Bono also say during Vertigo "Just give me what I want and no one gets f***ing hurt!"? Maybe ABC got a chance to bleep that out...

I thought I might have heard that! but I think I heard only a fraction of the syllable even on mtv coverage...could they have had special censorsensors on bono, being he's got a file with the fcc already, or did he sort of self-bleep to beat them to the punch?!

I loved hearing daltry's fuck slip thru on the abc special, loved how it showed as 'bleep' on the captioning I always have on but sounded like the 'fuck' it was.
The whole issue really is a joke to me, fetishizing words to the point where if one slips it's like a livesex act snippet appeared instead of a string of sounds used as an adverb for emphasis. It just so makes the finger-pointers look like some parody thoughtpolice...you gotta pick your battles or risk seeming utterly ridiculous!

I think the madonna and other cusses were edited out on the abc program, they were more clearly separated from the flow than the whothefuckareyou mumbling...

cheers all!

edit: and I agree with axver, but it's much harder for the censorship folks to analyse for content. I would rather have my daughter listen to social protest ditties with the word 'fuck' uttered every other and more choice terms to boot than have her watch and listen to a naughty-word-free britney talk about what she's got to offer and how she'd like to be had...
maybe they're fine with anything as long as no cussing's involved, but its hard to tell when they freak out like they do over the specific words; it's got a strange witchhunt vibe to it.

Last edited:
You'd think they'd complain about the Snoop Dogg or Kanye West preformances (and the blatant use of the word "******" repeatedly) rather than from The Who.

:shrug:

A person dying every 3 seconds due to extreme poverty and curable deseases is a much larger moral outrage then the word fuck.

starsgoblue said:
Yea...and considering how morally outraged this people are...they should be morally outraged about the emergency behind Live8. I'd think it'd be harder as a parent trying to explain to my kids why they are showing pictures of children their own age dying because of where they were born, than explaining how "fuck" is a word not to be used.

"This is really really fucking great" :

Quite so. Well said, stars! I wouldn't want my baby nieces to hear that sort of language... so I would have made damn sure they weren't exposed to it!
Simple as that. People need to learn responsibility for Chrissakes.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to expect every performer at Live8 to have been restrained and polite the whole time. We all knew about Bob's 'give us your fuckin' money' in 1985, so there's no point pretending that nobody would use swearwords at an event like this.
I'm not defending swearing and cussin' in front of kids, etc. It's not big or clever, anyone with half a braincell knows that.

However, it would have been blind not to expect some, er, 'colourful' chat from a band that was central throughout the mods versus rockers period. So let's all lose sight of the real issue here and bitch about swearing instead. :rolleyes:

It reminds me of what Kyle's mom said in the South Park movie...

Sheila Broflovski: Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!

Shame that seems to be the case.

Halifax said:
A person dying every 3 seconds due to extreme poverty and curable deseases is a much larger moral outrage then the word fuck.

Precisely!

Last edited:
Put the blindfold back on bible thumpers. Last I heard fuck was part of the english language.

Its a shame what the priorities of the so called moral religious right are. People like this totally remind me of Ned Flanders off The Simpsons and I don't think that is a compliment.

Get down on your knees and prey maybe the problem of this continent and debt will go away.

But F U C K while you do it please cover your ears.

Once again,the powers to be doesnt see the bigger picture,and treats us like children:shrug:

Big deal. The FCC needs to have a system where people can complain about what is seen on television.

Complaints come in all the time. Only a few select complaints ever make the news.

It is not because they are newsworthy.

Halifax said:

I agree, but to a lot of today's soccer moms and office park dads, their sense of compassion rarely extends beyond their own children.

Back
Top Bottom