A War-Christmas storry do not open before xmas :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
24. December 1914, Europe Worldwar I, Christmas eve at the westfront.

The British soldiers couldn't believe what they saw. The much hated germans enlighten candles at x-mas trees at their military defense lines and start to sing "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" and "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen. While the British men still think what kind of trick that might be one of them shouts "well done, Fritzens" a german soldier replies: "Merry Christmas, Englishmen - We not shoot, you not shoot". And on the 24th eve there was almost no shooting on the westfront.
First single soldiers, then smaller groups get out of their trenches and met in "no mans land".
People who did everything they could to kill each other stoped being rational and found out that the people called "enemy" were nice guys just like them so they started to bury their dead soldiers together, had ceremons and exchanged gift parcels.

Happy x-mas and a happy new year FYMers, i'll meet my family now.

Klaus

It wasn't about Germans or English people, the soldiers from both sides forgot about their nationality at that night and on both sides higher military officials had a hard time to get them to the point again where they continued to kill each other

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yes... the germans were very nice at the time. just ask nevil chamberlain :shifty:

You should read the story of Thanksgiving then sometime.

Melon

Klaus said:
It wasn't about Germans or English people, the soldiers from both sides forgot about their nationality at that night and on both sides higher military officials had a hard time to get them to the point again where they continued to kill each other

Which makes me wonder why, if both sides can stop fighting for the holidays, they can't possibly stop fighting the rest of the year, too.

A very nice story, regardless.

Angela

Thanks Klaus, cool story. I just wish we could stop all wars, terrorist attacks, etc, etc, the rest of the year.................oh, well.

Back
Top Bottom