A Strengthened Resolve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
When it became official that Bush had won the election, my first reaction was one of being pissed off. That soon changed to saddness. But both have left me now, and rather than feeling dejected or weakened or let down by this, I feel only a strengthened resolve. What happened, not only with the presidential election but also with the congressional elections, has made me feel stronger than ever the way I do. I hope other democrats/liberals feel the same way. Because we cannot waver. It's a dangerous time. The South and Midwest of America seem to want to drag it into a rigid, old-fashioned socially conservative mindset, and with Bush being re-elected, and maybe even more so with bulking up their already existant majority in the congress, they are succeeding. The entire southeast quarter of the map was red. These are unsophisticated people(generally speaking) that relate to Bush because he too is unsophisticated. Look at what happened outside of actual candidates this election day. Eleven states passed issue one to ban not only gay marriage but also civil unions. ELEVEN. This is utter BS. Some people don't believe in the institution of marriage, and it is their RIGHT, as given by the CONSTITUTION to live together forever without marriage and still get rights. And I'm tempted to give the whole 'don't impose your religious beliefs on us all' arguement but sad truth is the only reason the government but this on the ballet at all was so they could save money - not have to pay benefits for civil unions. BS. And of course the ignorance has made yet more difficult for gay couples to marry. This must stop. What's next? Ultra-conservative appointments to the Supreme Court so that Roe vs Wade will be overturned so yet more civil rights of the American people are stripped? We CANNOT allow this to happen. The 2008 campaign starts now. Not just the 2008 campaign, but the 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028, 2032, etc etc campaigns. It is a never-ending campaign to bring America back to where it should be. And if other democrats/liberals feel the same I do, and I think they do, then I can say that we WILL NOT REST until a democrat is in the oval office again, and we WILL NOT REST until the congress, both house and senate, are controlled by democrats. And when that is accomplished, we WILL NOT REST until they are all re-elected. We WILL NOT REST until America is being led by the left again. Bill Clinton often spoke of a bridge to the future. Bush and conservatives in general are burning that bridge by alienating us in the international community and by allowing large chunks of the American public to remain ignorant. Even the left in America isn't left enough. Europe knows what left is all about. I'm not gonna sit here and say I'm embarassed to be an American because Bush won, because that's crap. It's not constructive. Half the country voted for Bush, the other for Kerry. So I'm gonna take the other road of saying, I'm proud to be an American because half of us voted for an ultra-liberal. And we WILL attract more left voters in the future. We WILL NOT REST until we are led by the left again. It's not that we want to, although we do. It's that we HAVE to. Democrats, Liberals, join me please. WE WILL NOT REST.

Most constructive sentiment I've had the pleasure of seeing on this message board since the unfortunate events of yesterday.

:up:

I definately am looking forward to 2008 with a strengthened resolve.

Ant.

I would suggest that while you are not resting, that you help the DNC define their own message, articulate why it is the best direction for this country and go about seeking the hearts and minds of the population.

Comments like this:

The entire southeast quarter of the map was red. These are unsophisticated people(generally speaking) that relate to Bush because he too is unsophisticated.

Will continue to hurt your cause. It is rather unsophisticated to think that you can win a sizable segment of the population by calling them unsophisticated.

namkcuR said:
When it became official that Bush had won the election, my first reaction was one of being pissed off. That soon changed to saddness. But both have left me now, and rather than feeling dejected or weakened or let down by this, I feel only a strengthened resolve. What happened, not only with the presidential election but also with the congressional elections, has made me feel stronger than ever the way I do. I hope other democrats/liberals feel the same way. Because we cannot waver. It's a dangerous time. The South and Midwest of America seem to want to drag it into a rigid, old-fashioned socially conservative mindset, and with Bush being re-elected, and maybe even more so with bulking up their already existant majority in the congress, they are succeeding. The entire southeast quarter of the map was red. These are unsophisticated people(generally speaking) that relate to Bush because he too is unsophisticated. Look at what happened outside of actual candidates this election day. Eleven states passed issue one to ban not only gay marriage but also civil unions. ELEVEN. This is utter BS. Some people don't believe in the institution of marriage, and it is their RIGHT, as given by the CONSTITUTION to live together forever without marriage and still get rights. And I'm tempted to give the whole 'don't impose your religious beliefs on us all' arguement but sad truth is the only reason the government but this on the ballet at all was so they could save money - not have to pay benefits for civil unions. BS. And of course the ignorance has made yet more difficult for gay couples to marry. This must stop. What's next? Ultra-conservative appointments to the Supreme Court so that Roe vs Wade will be overturned so yet more civil rights of the American people are stripped? We CANNOT allow this to happen. The 2008 campaign starts now. Not just the 2008 campaign, but the 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028, 2032, etc etc campaigns. It is a never-ending campaign to bring America back to where it should be. And if other democrats/liberals feel the same I do, and I think they do, then I can say that we WILL NOT REST until a democrat is in the oval office again, and we WILL NOT REST until the congress, both house and senate, are controlled by democrats. And when that is accomplished, we WILL NOT REST until they are all re-elected. We WILL NOT REST until America is being led by the left again. Bill Clinton often spoke of a bridge to the future. Bush and conservatives in general are burning that bridge by alienating us in the international community and by allowing large chunks of the American public to remain ignorant. Even the left in America isn't left enough. Europe knows what left is all about. I'm not gonna sit here and say I'm embarassed to be an American because Bush won, because that's crap. It's not constructive. Half the country voted for Bush, the other for Kerry. So I'm gonna take the other road of saying, I'm proud to be an American because half of us voted for an ultra-liberal. And we WILL attract more left voters in the future. We WILL NOT REST until we are led by the left again. It's not that we want to, although we do. It's that we HAVE to. Democrats, Liberals, join me please. WE WILL NOT REST.

Ppl like you is very much needed in the US of today.

Please, do not rest.:)

I don't think that it's a matter of who voted for what. I don't think you should just be proud of America because almost half voted for Kerry. That's ridiculous.

I'm proud to be American because so many voted and because so many care, and because we CAN vote, and we can vote peacefully, and then continue to work together and live peacefully despite our differences!

That's what makes me proud to be American, and even though I voted for the loser, I think this shows that America is still in very good shape in a lot of ways.

nbcrusader said:

I would suggest that while you are not resting, that you help the DNC define their own message, articulate why it is the best direction for this country and go about seeking the hearts and minds of the population.

Comments like this:

Will continue to hurt your cause. It is rather unsophisticated to think that you can win a sizable segment of the population by calling them unsophisticated.

Yeah but what's the alternative? Explaining in a civilized manner why I think issue one is crap? It doesn't change these peoples' opinions. If you have any advice on how to get through to them, by all means, share.

namkcuR said:
Yeah but what's the alternative? Explaining in a civilized manner why I think issue one is crap? It doesn't change these peoples' opinions. If you have any advice on how to get through to them, by all means, share.

"You attract more bees with honey than vinegar"

Learn this skill and the world is yours. Doesn't matter how big or small the organization - small committee to national campaign. People, by and large, will reject even the best ideas when they are shoved down their throats. My own negotiation and debate skills have sharpened by some of the excellent posters on this board who would counter my less than well thought out statements.

Every post in this forum that questioned the intelligence or sophistication of Bush supporters did not win one convert. Perhaps if felt better to let off some steam, but it left you on weaker ground than when you started.

Back
Top Bottom