A question for conservatives...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pub crawler said:

I'm not labeling him as a racist. However, I was VERY troubled by the comment he made.

Don't worry, I wasn't talking about you. Some of the others who read your post were quick to label him a racist-- that's who I was addressing.

ImOuttaControl said:

Oh knock it off.

The poster said that his friend was talking about "some of the players on the sidelines," not the entire team.

Ok but which team has several monkey looking individuals on their team?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok but which team has several monkey looking individuals on their team?

No idea. Wasn't there, didn't see the guys on T.V. this person was talking about. Did YOU?

Sorry, I'm just willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have no tolerance for racists, but saying something dumb doesn't warrant being labeled a racist in my opinion.

It's especially hard when that someone making remarks like that, or using the "n" word everytime an African American shows up on tv, or wherever, is your mom's longtime boyfriend, who you like OK, except for this major flaw. :|

I guess my mom is going along the same lines as you maybe be, letting this one (major, IMO) thing go because he's such a good guy in other ways. Personally, I have to leave the room when he starts in on crap like that, but if she can live with it, fine.

I have no real advice to offer, but I know how you feel.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
It's especially hard when that someone making remarks like that, or using the "n" word everytime an African American shows up on tv, or wherever, is your mom's longtime boyfriend, who you like OK, except for this major flaw. :|

I guess my mom is going along the same lines as you maybe be, letting this one (major, IMO) thing go because he's such a good guy in other ways. Personally, I have to leave the room when he starts in on crap like that, but if she can live with it, fine.

I have no real advice to offer, but I know how you feel.

Thanks, LMPA. :hug:

ImOuttaControl said:

No idea. Wasn't there, didn't see the guys on T.V. this person was talking about. Did YOU?

Sorry, I'm just willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have no tolerance for racists, but saying something dumb doesn't warrant being labeled a racist in my opinion.

Yeah I watched the game (great game) but didn't see the monkey looking group on the sidelines.

As quickly as people will label some as racist there are also those that will blow it off or justify such comments just as quickly. Not saying that is what you are doing

Last edited:
Well, I'm not a conservative, but if you're interested in what I would do, here it is.

When he made his comment, I would have asked him "what did you say?" and if he repeated it and did NOT explain it in a way in which it was clear he had not meant it in a racist manner, I would have gotten up, said goodbye, and left. I'm far too old to put up with that kind of crap. I may not be able to change him, but I don't need to be friendly with people who think that is fine.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah I watched the game (great game) but didn't see the monkey looking group on the sidelines.

As quickly as people will label some as racist there are also those that will blow it off or justify such comments just as quickly. Not saying that is what you are doing

I say I give the guy the benefit of the doubt because I don't know him or what kind of person he is. I'm not justifying jack or shit. As I've already said: I think racism is aweful, absolutely aweful. But in this case I haven't seen enough information on this guy to go label him as a racist as you obviously do. I'm merely saying that pubcrawler should take into account what he knows about this person to decide what he meant by the comment.

Wow, anything that doesn't fit into that nice little p.c. world of yours and you're off labeling someone that you don't know after reading about 1 stupid comment they made. Very sad...

Last edited:
I would probably look at the guy like this :eyebrow: and ask him why he would say that. I'd be tempted never to spend any more time with this guy.

ImOuttaControl said:

I say I give the guy the benefit of the doubt because I don't know him or what kind of person he is. I'm not justifying jack or shit. As I've already said: I think racism is aweful, absolutely aweful. But in this case I haven't seen enough information on this guy to go label him as a racist as you obviously do. I'm merely saying that pubcrawler should take into account what he knows about this person to decide what he meant by the comment.
No where in any of my posts did I say he was a racist. I said more than likely he is and that his comments are very telling. Not the same as calling someone a racists.
ImOuttaControl said:

Wow, anything that doesn't fit into that nice little p.c. world of yours and you're off labeling someone that you don't know after reading about 1 stupid comment they made. Very sad...
You don't know me yet you had no problem labeling me.

I was just trying to make the point that it does go both ways. You said there are those that are too quick to call people racists and I was trying to make the argument that some people are too quick to let comments like this go and write off those that are bothered by them as being too PC or sensitive.

I've never seen a group of humans that look like monkeys. I certainly didn't see them last night. I find the comment pretty offensive and it has nothing to do with being PC.

Not all conservatives are racist, obviously

I would assume that African Americans are offended by being called/compared to monkeys. I would assume they would view that as a racist comment. Yes, PC goes too far sometimes, but racism is one area where I personally can't tolerate comments at all.

Once I called out an older female coworker (she was in her late 50's) for using the n word in front of me-it was just the two of us talking. That word makes me sick, and I tried to be polite in telling her so, only because there were customers around. She acted shocked that I would even say so :huh: I liked her previous to that, but never felt the same way about her after that. I think you have to call people out for racist comments, whether they are blatant or more subtle. When someone prefaces it by saying "not that I'm racist" well, that is a red flag as far as I'm concerned.

Have you ever noticed no one ever claims racism? Even the Klan chalk it up to "not wanting the races to mix".

Every racist that I know and met have been conservatives, but by no means has every conservative I've met been a racist.

I do not consider racists real "conservatives". A conservative, to me, is someone who either wants limited government or has a certain approach to moral standards or has certain views about intervention in other countries. If someone is racist, that's something else. I use a word we're not allowed to use in FYM.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

No where in any of my posts did I say he was a racist. I said more than likely he is and that his comments are very telling. Not the same as calling someone a racists.

yes, good point. one problem i see on this forum -- due to the nature of internet postings -- is that people take the challenging of a belief to be an indictment of a whole person. i've had people yell and scream at me for calling them a homophobe, when the reality is that i've labled a belief homophobic. race is similar. you might hold a racist belief, but to actually be a racist you'd have to be aware of your beliefs, and really not care much.

as for conservatives and racism, i think most liberals would be shocked and appaled if you were to call them or label a belief espoused by a liberal "racist." Racism, as all liberals have agreed, is A Bad Thing. however, this does not mean that a liberal can't be racist, in fact many liberals are quite condescending in their attitudes towards Traditionally Marginalized Groups (i'm a member of one such group, and i slightly resent well-meaning but patronizing comments ... "i just love gay people!").

nbcrusader said:
:rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on the type of racism you want to see or acknowledge.
NBC is dead on. This would mean that you are probably ignoring any non-whites that make anti-white comments. It could probably also mean that you don't think Black Panthers are the least bit racist.

Macfistowannabe said:
NBC is dead on. This would mean that you are probably ignoring any non-whites that make anti-white comments. It could probably also mean that you don't think Black Panthers are the least bit racist.

thanks for the wake up call

Us whites better stick together.

We have a history of being disenfranchised, lynched and denied pubic accommodations.

Deep, any racism whether it is anti-black, anti-jew, anti-hispanic, anti-asian, etc, and anti-white is unappreciated in my book. Claiming that conservatives are the only racists out there is a sign that some people are picking and choosing, then making excuses when they are caught with their pants down. I'm not saying that whites have been through oppression or any of that crap, I'm saying that we should recognize ALL racism, and any racism that exists is uncalled for. Period.

Macfistowannabe said:
Deep, any racism whether it is anti-black, anti-jew, anti-hispanic, anti-asian, etc, and anti-white is unappreciated in my book.
As it should be. But you neglected to address deep's point, i.e., he alluded to the issues of segregation, racial injustice toward African-Americans and socio-economic disparity.

Last edited:
Okay, but I was not exactly going to counterpoint his addressed points about segregation and racial injustice. I think we often forget about other groups who have historically suffered past discrimination from us, such as the Chinese. It kind of gets me when it's completely focused on blacks instead of including other minorities. Please, let's not just focus on the minority's majority.

I initiated this thread because of a racist comment a friend of mine made about African-Americans. When referring to a group of African-Americans on the tv screen, he said, "Don't some of these guys look like monkeys?" I was appalled.

Is my friend a racist? Not as far as I know. But did he make a racist comment. Yes.

You mentioned "anti-white" racism. And you mentioned the Black Panthers (do they even exist any more?).

How much anti-white racism is there in the U.S. as compared to "anti-black" racism? A little? A lot?

*edited for typo

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
I initiated this thread because of a racist comment a friend of mine made about African-Americans. When referring to a group of African-Americans on the tv screen, he said, "Don't some of these guys look like monkeys?" I was appalled.

Is my friend a racist? Not as far as I know. But did he make a racist comment. Yes.

You mentioned "anti-white" racism. And you mentioned the Black Panthers (do they even exist any more?).

How much anti-white racism is there in the U.S. as compared to "anti-black" racism? A little? A lot?
I would hope that you had a talk with your friend about this matter, and I hope it went well. I understand your reasons for starting this thread, but when someone claims that the only racists he knows are conservatives, I will fire questions without hesitation. I chose to bring up the Black Panthers because it's almost a guarantee that the KKK will be brought up in a thread about racism, and so will past mistreatments on blacks. Whether the Black Panthers are still around is beyond me, but they are in the past, just like racial discrimination was. There is an official site for them, and if you are serious about seeing it for yourself, here is the link: http://www.blackpanther.org/. Currently, I would assume that there is quite a bit more anti-black racism than anti-white, but both forms should be considered, as well as any group that is being discriminated against. You don't have to be white to be a poor sport. All forms of racism should be recognized.

Macfistowannabe said:

I understand your reasons for starting this thread, but when someone claims that the only racists he knows are conservatives, I will fire questions without hesitation.

I never claimed that the ONLY racists I know are conservatives. I wrote exactly the following:

pub crawler said:
Is racism equally characteristic among liberals and conservatives? Perhaps. I really don't know.

One thing I do know is that I would never hear anything like the "monkey" comment from my more liberal circle of friends.
Amongst my conservative friends, racial jokes and comments are very rare, but among these conservative friends and acquaintances of mine it seems as though whenever a racial joke or comment is made, it is said with a "wink" that everyone understands and which makes said jokes and comments fair play and fair game for laughter. Hence, why I directed my question at conservatives.

In fact, I never claimed to know any racists at all.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:

I chose to bring up the Black Panthers because it's almost a guarantee that the KKK will be brought up in a thread about racism, and so will past mistreatments on blacks. ... Currently, I would assume that there is quite a bit more anti-black racism than anti-white, but both forms should be considered, as well as any group that is being discriminated against. You don't have to be white to be a poor sport. All forms of racism should be recognized.

I read you as having a "tit for tat" argument with respect to racism. I think you've effectively precluded any chance for productive debate in connection with this issue because your simple response seems to be: "Everybody is racist toward everybody else, so please don't tell me African-Americans have it any worse than anyone else."

deep said:

thanks for the wake up call

Us whites better stick together.

We have a history of being disenfranchised, lynched and denied pubic accommodations.

Dr. King's message of "only love can drive out hate," must have been wrong. I guess it's ok to be a racist if you feel any of the above applies.

Macfistowannabe said:

Re-read my post. I said every racist that I've met and I know is conservative. I don't know any Black Panthers, and the one Asian friend of mine who's father is racist, is a conservative.

I understand your reasons for starting this thread, but when someone claims that the only racists he knows are conservatives, I will fire questions without hesitation.

By the way I'm a she.

There is racism all over. I once went to a demonstration protesting racism. It turned out that the group that put on the thing was a "black nationalist" outfit, and all of the whites in the demonstration had to stay behind some huge banner. It was the most insane thing I've ever been involved in. These people were involved in *promoting* biases, not in solving them. So it's not fair to equate racism with conservativism. It doesn't work that way.

Back
Top Bottom