A Positve Outcome from a Tragic Event

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Here is one of the most touching stories to come out of the reconciliation process currently going on in Northern Ireland....and it barely is noticed in the media.

I hope that you find in this story of kernel of hope that reconciliation between people IS POSSIBLE (probably desirable).

Thanks for your time and interest in this story. :yes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7071981.stm

Adams apologises to boy's family

Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams has said sorry to the parents of a boy killed when the IRA bombed Warrington.

Mr Adams made the apology to Colin and Wendy Parry whose 12-year-old son Tim was one of two children who died in the blast in 1993.

The West Belfast MP met the family at Canary Wharf in London, which was also damaged in an IRA explosion.

Mr Parry said coming face to face with the Sinn Fein leader was hard, but "easier than holding my son dying".

"It is infinitely easier for Gerry and I to talk than to fight," he said.

They were attending a debate organised by Foundation for Peace, the charity set up after Tim's death.

His son Tim died along with three-year-old Johnathan Ball in the explosion.

Mr Parry, who has two surviving children and still lives in Warrington, added: "I can say that inviting Gerry Adams to join me here tonight was not, as you might imagine, easy for me or for Wendy.

"But it was infinitely easier than holding my son dying. It was infinitely easier than carrying him for the final time in his coffin.

"It was infinitely easier than saying my final farewell to him with my wife."

During the debate at the Canary Wharf event, Mr Adams said Mr Parry and his wife Wendy had "borne their loss with remarkable grace".

Mr Parry said he believed the work done by the centre in Warrington and the Foundation for Peace in the past 12 years has been a "positive outcome from a tragic event".

Mr Adams also apologised for the hurt inflicted by Irish republicans during the Troubles.

He said the foundation was an example of how people who had been grievously hurt, were able to produce something good and constructive.

"I therefore want to acknowledge Colin and Wendy Parry's personal journey and how they have created this positive space from the place of deep trauma and grief they personally experienced," he said.

"Irish republicans - the IRA - was responsible for what happened that day. It brought huge grief to these two families, as well as to others hurt in that incident.

"The IRA expressed its regret at what had happened... I have also expressed my personal and sincere regret, and apologised for the hurt inflicted by republicans.

"I do so again this evening. This is the right and proper thing to do."

In 1996, Canary Wharf witnessed a devastating IRA bomb attack in the Dockland's area which marked an end to the Provisionals' two year ceasefire.

Two people died and the bomb caused millions of pounds damage.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CoeXisT :bow: :bonodrum:

I can only imagine how difficult that conversation must've been, but that's one heck of a gesture to make. Good move on the president's part, I'm glad he reached out to the family like that. Here's hoping more people can learn a lesson from this.

Thanks for posting that, Jamila-with all the depressing stuff you hear about out there nowadays, positive stories like this are especially welcome :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom