A Particular Island Continent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
It is a developed country that enjoyed faster economic growth than the US over the past decade. Yet it also offers universal healthcare and other social welfare benefits that the US does not. Unemployment is similar to America’s, but without the glaring income disparities that characterise US growth. It is a country that seems to have achieved a sweet spot, combining the vigour of American capitalism with the humanity of European welfare, yet suffering the drawbacks of neither. And it manages this while keeping a consistent budget surplus.

That country, rolling into its 16th year of uninterrupted growth, is Australia.
link

This may also answer the reasons why Howard gets elected again, and again, and again - toss in the resources boom for good measure. A puff piece of phoney assumptions to be sure, one that deserves to be fisked :wink:

Last edited:
A civil society cannot exist without these things, but then im not entirely fond of civil society.

I'm with se7en... you applaud these things, while having a pretty solid record on this forum as detesting the entire welfare state, in its various forms.

We have done quite well in recent years, thanks to one thing: a commodities boom. If the US slides into another recession/depression, it will no doubt take China and co. with it, and thus Australia too. We aren't that invincible.

I would recommend that people lookup the definition of 'puff piece', 'phoney assumptions' and 'fisk'.

You don't need to go halfway around the world to find that utopia. Just look north of Buffalo. :drool:

Irvine511 said:
... now all you've got to do is repeal that silly gay marriage ban and i might consider moving ...

No chance as long as the conservatives are in power, plus there's plenty of religious and "fake-christian" gay-hating bigots who like to open their big gay-bashing mouths and condemn gay marriage.

16 Years of growth, which means the glory days of Hawke and Keating deserve some credit...

Still, it's time for a change....Gillard for PM

Australia is a beautiful country, and i love that i am australian, but i still think we don't have a true nationality, and the worshipping at the altar of americanism is frightening and sad.

Other then that, how fricken cold is it in melbourne right now? Its gotta be colder then other years surely! *shivers*

dazzlingamy said:
Australia is a beautiful country, and i love that i am australian, but i still think we don't have a true nationality, and the worshipping at the altar of americanism is frightening and sad.

Other then that, how fricken cold is it in melbourne right now? Its gotta be colder then other years surely! *shivers*

It does seem somewhat colder, but I love it....

I think we should accept that there can never be a definitive nationality. Let's just stirve for Utopia and promote tolerance

If our employment is so steady and our future so rosy, then why the IR reforms? Was it even Howard who admitted that we can't possibly support that system, thus needing to change what he built so gloatingly? Oh, by all means shove your head right up his arse.

Back
Top Bottom