A new low, even for Zimbabwe's Mugabe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
The homes of political opponents are being demolished, post the most recent election there. He's fixed several elections, tortured journalists, and used famine as a WMD. Yet I think I've heard his name come out of Bush's mouth like once.

I occured to me reading this that I honestly don't know if the family I was living with while I was in Zimbabwe is even still alive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4072978.stm

:mad: :sad:

Mugabe epitomizes the reason why throwing money at Africa won't solve most of their problems.

Melon

he is 82, he'll be dead soon anyway. world should get zimbabwe ready for the aftermath of his departure.

melon said:
Mugabe epitomizes the reason why throwing money at Africa won't solve most of their problems.

Melon

I don't even know how to respond to this. The way WE and the rest of the world have Africa right now economically...almost all they can do is accept aid..
:|

i can't speak for melon, but i read his post to mean that randomly throwing cash at the problem in the hopes that it will just go away only feeds men like mugabe. we need some kind of structure to ensure that aid money is being used constructively, actually benefitting the people in need, instead of filling the coffers of corrupt dictators.

an example of how giving aid for the wrong reasons (to look good, to pat ourselves on the back) can go horribly wrong.

I wasn't personally criticizing Melon...I'm sorry if it looked that way.

Well, there is the Jubillee Act which DOES have safeguards against corruption. Even the Jubilee Act seems to be a hard sell over here in America though...:sigh:

Zimbabwe/Rhodesia was better off under Ian Smith.

There, I said it.

Mugabe wasn't ALWAYS an out and out tyrant but seems to have flipped the lid in recent years.

Last edited:
financeguy said:
Zimbabwe/Rhodesia was better off under Ian Smith.

There, I said it.

Mugabe wasn't ALWAYS an out and out tyrant but seems to have flipped the lid in recent years.

You're half right, FG. :) Mugabe once seemed a good guy. He started off talkinga bout racial reconciliation and development. This nation that now suffers from famine was once EXPORT food to its neighboors! It's like he just went nuts! :huh:

That said, don't you think it's a bit...not even sure what word I want....disingenous to make the claim that Ian Smith was better and not even *attempt* to back it up? Hoping no one woudl call you on it? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom