A movement to confiscate Michael Moore's recent Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
I dont really agree w/this.
I say let Michael Moore contine to make an ass of himself.

Anyway the movement is located this website..

revoketheoscar.com
http://www.revoketheoscar.com/

The site claims the Moore's recent film is riddled with-
invented facts
fabricated events
staged scenes

so on and so forth,

and 'disqualifies' the film as actually being a documentary.

I dunno.
My life is to busy to worry about smug stars recieving awards for their so called art..

DB9

Shades of McCarthyism yet again. You can't deny an artist recognition for his work just because you don't like his political opinions.

Although I especially like that it refers to Charlton Heston as "one of Hollywood's few upstanding men" :laugh:

I don't agree with it, either. I can't stand Michael Moore, but if people can give an award to a child molester, then Moore certainly shouldn't have his taken away because he made a fool of himself at the awards.

But I don't really care. I don't watch the Oscars cuz I don't give a crap about them. Hollywood is in its own little word of back-patting and self-glorification. That's one reason I don't go to many movies.

80sU2isBest said:
But I don't really care. I don't watch the Oscars cuz I don't give a crap about them. Hollywood is in its own little word of back-patting and self-glorification.
:up:

Let him keep is little statue. It doesn't validate his beliefs or give them any more weight.

Movements like "revoketheoscar" are just silly.

This is ridiculous. Oscars are just show biz awards. Who cares? So what if some people didn't like his acceptance speech. This is a complete waste of time and effort. If they want to support the troops or whatever there's a better way like signing the virtual thank you card.

I htink anytime we can give him a forum to perform as he did, I am for it. It made for good entertainment.

It is a documentary. Documentaries have ceased to be in the realm of "realism" since the 1910s. Every time a cut is made, you have omitted a piece of reality and made a subjective interpretation of what is important. Michael Moore's film *does* fall under "documentary," because he uses real people and real situations. A realist documentary? Probably not. A formalist documentary? Yes.

I think this movement is silly. I guess right-wingers have too much time on their hands, between the Yahoo! message board trolling and this.

Melon

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Doc?u?men?ta?ry (adj)
1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film

"Objectivity" and "facts" is an illusion. Look at a National Geographic documentary. Cuts are made. Narration is placed to give subjectively interpreted commentary. A span of several days, weeks, or months is shaved down to an hour at most. Who decides what is "important" and what isn't? A subjective individual.

But this goes into the realm of postmodern theory. Moore's film is probably best described as a postmodernist documentary--not fictional, as the people and situations are real, and not a documentary, as Moore influences the situations around him by his pre-determined agenda. Moore, undoubtedly, breaks most of the conventions of the traditional, realist documentary. However, it is still a documentary.

People aren't necessarily going to agree with me on this, and that's alright. I'm just arguing as to why this movement is silly, in my opinion.

Melon

Doc?u?men?ta?ry (adj).
2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film

:up:

can somebody from the left please define the word "is" please:)?

DB9

diamond i believe we can find the answer to that age old question on this video tape...
0788601008.l.gif

and melon please, allow me to assist...
brick-wall.jpg

knock yourself out

diamond i believe we can find the answer to that age old question on this video tape...
0788601008.l.gif

and melon please, allow me to assist...
brick-wall.jpg

knock yourself out
0895264544.l.gif

Headche-
Heres a very good book to read..

diamond
:)

I don't think the merits of the film should have anything to do with politics. Just because you don't like Director X's politics doesn't make his movies trash or whatever. If I'd decided to protest the war it wouldn't have been that hard-hitting, but what the heck? I think these things should be considered separately. It's a bit like not giving Actor X an award because they are Catholic or whatever, to heck with their acting.

80sU2isBest said:
if people can give an award to a child molester, then Moore certainly shouldn't have his taken away

:up: totally agree with that. haha, aparently being a liberal is worse than being a child molester :|

no one should have their award taken away because of their political beliefs. If an ultra-conservative won some type of award I wouldn't have any desire to take his award away just because i'm liberal.

If people are allowed to thank Jesus, than Michael Moore is allowed to criticize our idiotic President.

*ouizy ducks eggs being thrown at him...

ouizy said:
If people are allowed to thank Jesus, than Michael Moore is allowed to criticize our idiotic President.

*ouizy ducks eggs being thrown at him...

Don't worry ouizy the Jesus brigade is coming to your town. They will take it over.
I think it is the first week of Sept. 2004.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom