a good tax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoomerang II

War Child
Plastic Bag tax:
Ok here in Ireland they have just introduced a plastic bag tax. 15c per bag, so each time you go to the supermarket, if you want three bags to carry your goods home, they add 45c to your bill. It doesn?t apply to small bags for carrying fresh or hot food items.

Of course you don?t have to buy the bags, you can bring your own, reuse them, and a lot of shops are selling heavy duty ones for say 30c.

I think this is one of the most ingenious taxes introduced. No one is making you pay it. Supermarket bags are an evil scourge ? they don?t break down at all, and we manufacture billions of them, throwing them away. The tax proceeds will go to an externally managed environmental fund to help in other projects.

On a funny note I?ve see people walking down the road with their shopping in a big black bin liner and also stuffing so much into one bag it inevitably splits.

Apparently a lot of other countries are looking at the tax and may introduce it if it works here.

Opinions?

I thought this was going to be the Flat Tax.. Russia just implemented it and their economy is ROARING. Grrr.. Hahahaha.

L.Unplugged

huh, that is a rather good idea. we used to have a big carboard box that we put our groceries in. you bought it from the store and used it instead of bagging. same concept.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Back
Top Bottom