A Fitting Memorial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I read about this recently and now it has made it onto the ballot. Some have airports, some have federal buildings, highways, etc.

Oh well, I've always thought he is full of ..:D Some aren't laughing though and say it's an embarrassment.

SF Gate

(07-17) 14:57 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco voters will be asked to decide whether to name a city sewage plant in honor of President Bush, after a satiric measure qualified for the November ballot Thursday.

Backers of the measure, who for several months circulated a petition to place the measure on the ballot, turned in more than 12,000 signatures on July 7, said organizer Brian McConnell. The Department of Elections on Thursday informed those supporters, the self-proclaimed Presidential Memorial Commission, that they had enough valid signatures - a minimum of 7,168 registered San Francisco voters - to qualify for the November ballot.

McConnell, who came up with the idea over beers with friends, often donned an Uncle Sam outfit to drum up support for the petition. The all-volunteer group of signature gatherers often carried around an American flag and blasted patriotic music from a boom box to attract attention. He said the campaign to pass the measure will be an equally grassroots effort.

The measure, if passed, would rename the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant the George W. Bush Sewage Plant. McConnell said the intent is to remember the Bush administration and what the group sees as the president's mistakes, including the war in Iraq.

Some people aren't laughing, including the San Francisco Republican Party, which sees the measure as an embarrassment, even to this famously liberal city. Chairman Howard Epstein has vowed to fight the measure with all means available to him.

A White House spokeswoman, when asked about the measure several weeks ago, refused to comment.

I read in another article that they plan on commemorating his last day in office with a massive city-wide flush. :hyper:

San Francisco voters will be asked to decide whether to name a city sewage plant in honor of President Bush, after a satiric measure qualified for the November ballot Thursday.
I have to say I do find this sort of nose-thumbing pathetic.

But, whatever.

I doubt it will actually pass.

If it does I think it makes the city look kind of "small" in my opinion.

You know what's REALLY funny?
The fact that you're all going to miss him when he's gone......

I know! He provides fabulous fodder for comedians. :)

I wouldn't vote for this. It's childish...besides, why denigrate the poor sewage plant? :wink:

Achtung Bono, have you lived in the United States in the past eight years? And do you understand how much America is in debt because of Bush's plan to evade Iraq? There were no "Weapons of Mass Destruction." The whole premise for his war. Bush should have listened to the UN and let the Weapons Inspectors do their job.

The billions Bush spends to occupy another country, could be used to help the poor, right here in America. The people he swore to protect.

Try living in any western nation on what the old folks get with social security. More and more of them are eating their meals at "soup kitchens."

I'm always loyal to my friends and to those who fight to keep the world free and safe.

Considering you don't even live in the US and rave about Bill O'Reilly's journalistic integrity, I think it's safe to say that you're not really getting the whole picture when it comes to President Bush.

Considering you don't even live in the US

Are you sure you want to go down this path?

Have you made these same remarks to Anitram and Vincent Vega?

I believe all of these posters have every right to weigh in on these threads
and I like to hear different views from citizens of different countries,
it adds to our discussions.

and besides, Israel is the defacto 51st State. :wink:

^

Hey, I'm currently infiltrating you people from within. :hyper:

I meant both parts of that sentence to be taken together. As in, since you don't live here AND take Bill O'Reilly's word as gospel...

Yes, anitram and Vincent don't live in the US (edit: well, not permanently in anitram's case). But they have clearly shown a well-informed grasp of the situation, good analytical skills and well thought out views that don't rely on information barked out by propagandistic, sensationalist loudmouths.

And me from next month. :reject:

I guess as a foreigner participating in discussions about American issues I frequently screw up, get things wrong, don't consider things for various reasons or shoot over the top. And I think it's important for you as citizens of your country to point out just that, like Diemen did. Hence his response didn't end with "Considering you don't even live in the US". Put in context it makes sense.
When I am to speak about Bush, the aspects that are important and that I would discuss are very filtered as well. Also the information I have is different, as German media of course is not covering domestic issues that much, I'm not following American media that much and nearly all of the knowledge I gather about current issues in the States is either through German media, through this forum or through the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. I'm infinitely thankful to Comedy Central for the opportunity to watch these shows after Veoh excluded me as a non-American to watch Late Night with Conan O'Brien. :angry: It's a great way to improve my listening abilities.

Have you made these same remarks to Anitram and Vincent Vega?

I believe all of these posters have every right to weigh in on these threads
and I like to hear different views from citizens of different countries,
it adds to our discussions.

and besides, Israel is the defacto 51st State. :wink:

I enjoy and respect everyone's opinion, also. I was just wondering why Achtung Bono like George W. Bush so much. Since, many Americans and probably Europeans, feel he hasn't done a very good job with the Middle East. Calling countries "The Axis of Evil" is not productive for any kind of peaceful dialogue nor possible resolutions.

But they have clearly shown a well-informed grasp of the situation, good analytical skills and well thought out views that don't rely on information barked out by propagandistic, sensationalist loudmouths.

so, as long as someone agrees with you,
they are well-informed ?

sean is at the the front of the list for non-emotional, non-rant style of posting

some of the others?

they have a more varied style,
which is fine, and keeps this place interesting

sometimes their posts are well thought out and calm

but other times -we get some emotion and ranting

for fucks sake :wink:

Calling countries "The Axis of Evil" is not productive for any kind of peaceful dialogue nor possible resolutions.

History will probably give W a 3 out of 3 on this.

at worse a 2 out of 3.

1. Iraq - regime change - check!

2. North Korea - Nuke disarmament - and full inspections to verify - check!

3. Iran - Economic isolation, nuke proliferation halted, supported and set up opposition groups that will lead to a less threatening Government. - maybe ?

Ever the contrarian, eh?

so, as long as someone agrees with you,
they are well-informed ?

Um, no. I know plenty of people who disagree with me on various issues and who I consider well-informed. Dreadsox and, yes, even you (careful now ;)) for an FYM example. I just haven't seen anything in our 51st stater's posts that would indicate a similar level of analytical thinking and well-informed opinions on this subject, though.

History will probably give W a 3 out of 3 on this.

at worse a 2 out of 3.

1. Iraq - regime change - check!

2. North Korea - Nuke disarmament - and full inspections to verify - check!

3. Iran - Economic isolation, nuke proliferation halted, supported and set up opposition groups that will lead to a less threatening Government. - maybe ?
Libya and the A.Q. Khan nuclear network being two minor side affairs too.

Back
Top Bottom