A diamond/PBS invitation, for the curious, openminded, and intellectuals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will you accept the invitation and watch the Frontline/PBS special on Mormons?

• Yes, I'm very curious and will watch it on 4/30 and 5/1

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I may if I have time.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Yes, I absolutely will.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I won't watch it as I think the LDS/Mormons are a godless cult

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I have no opinion but will form an opinion after watching this on 4/30 and 5/1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • diamondbruno9, are you trying to sell us something?

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I plan to watch this and offer my thoughts after viewing this

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I will watch this to validate all of my fears about the LDS/Mormon religion.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
FRONTLINE and AMERICAN EXPERIENCE Profile a Religion That Is One of the Great Neglected American Narratives

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of America's fastest-growing religions and, relative to its size, one of the richest. Church membership, now at 12 million and growing, sweeps the globe. But from the moment of its founding in 1830, the church has been controversial. Within a month, it had 40 converts and almost as many enemies. In the early years, Mormons were hated, ridiculed, persecuted and feared. Yet, in the past several decades, the Mormon Church has transformed itself from a fringe sect into a thriving religion that embraces mainstream American values; its members include prominent and powerful politicians, university presidents and corporate leaders.

Preview trailer:

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/

I dated a Mormon for quite awhile, one of the nicest families I've ever met. Our neighbors growing up were Mormon as well, went to church with them a few times growning up.

The religion isn't for me, but I'm glad it fulfills some people's needs.

Irvine511 said:
i've sincerely liked all the Mormons i've ever met.

especially the one i slept with. he was hot.

You met Diamond too?

Here's an interesting quote about Joesph Smith written by one of his comtemporaries, Josiah Quincy, Mayor of Boston:

“It is by no means improbable that some future textbook, for the use of generations yet unborn, will contain a question something like this: What historical American of the nineteenth century has exerted the most powerful influence upon the destinies of his countrymen? And it is by no means impossible that the answer to that interrogatory may be thus written: Joseph Smith, the Mormon Prophet. And the reply, absurd as it doubtless seems to most men now living, may be an obvious commonplace to their descendants”

stay in school
you are not too old to learn

lincoln.jpg

Interesting website. It seems like all you have to do is be baptized in the church to be considered Mormon(according to this website), it doesn't matter what you practice now...

I would recommend reading Under The Banner Of Heaven its really interesting and gives a great insight on Mormonism

diamond said:
AntiMormon literature.

have you read it? I know it draws a lot of critisicm on Mormon faith and it's history but I did a little research after finishing the book and it got most of it's facts correct he even adresses his errors at the end and some mormon reviews

Don't need to, read many similar books, better than that one.

That said, here's what a Non-LDS person said in his review of the book:

It is important to note that I am not LDS because one reviewer stated that the only negative reviews for this book came from Mormons. Well, this is not the case.

The book recounts the brutal murders by Ron and Dan Lafferty, two Mormon fundamentalists who claim they acted through the direct orders of God. Krakauer feels it necessary to give his take on Mormon history that led up to these terrible murders. As I read this book I found myself not only disgusted with the Lafferty brothers, but also disgusted with the obvious bias that Krakauer writes with. It is sad to see that this book is considered to be an accurate historical account of the Mormon faith when the research and writing was done with such a hate for not only the LDS religion but for all religions in general. Krakauer openly admits that his original intentions for a book on Mormonism was to discount what he saw as a facade put up by the mainstream church today. How can a writer give an accurate account of what happened if he is setting out to portray things in a negative light? Many reviewers who expressed hate for the LDS church absolutely loved this book because Karkauer's bias matched their own and his "historical account" just gave them further reason to despise a religion that preaches above all else peace, love, charity, and christ. A good writer can make Hitler look like a saint and MLK, Jr. look like the devil, and that is exactly what Krakauer is trying to do with religion.

What makes this an OK read is the fact that Krakauer is a very good writer who can spin a good tale. The book is never dull or repetetive and he uses great diction, but words alone are not what make a great book (especially when it comes to historical books). He also does successfully make a point that is very important for people to understand; Islam is not the only religion with fundamental sects that try to use religion to justify evil and it is not the mainstream Islamic or Mormon churches that condone such violent acts as the one depicted in this book.

Basically, if you hate the LDS church you will absolutely adore this book (as an aside, I do not undestand why so many people hate the LDS church, hate is such a waste of energy). If you are looking for a book that is entertaining but are not looking for a book to really learn anything you can be sure is true, then this is a good book. But if you are looking for a historical book written without bias, this book is terrible for you. I am not writing this review to discourage people from reading this book, I am writing this review to warn people that they need to acknowledge the fact that this book is just teeming with animosity and hate and is written with such bias that nothing historical can be taken as truth. By finding the proper "sources" he obviously led this book in the direction he wanted it to go, not the way it actually went.

well I just found out from some LDS ppl who were lucky enough to preview this special that it is slanted in it's presentation in favor of ppl who dis like Mormons.

that said, be sure to watch BOTH NIGHTS.

Here's a copy of a portion of the email:

"While I had hopes that the program would be a fair-minded treatment of
the Mormons, I learn instead that it is an 'expose' of the 'wrongs' in
Mormon history. It is a smooth but bigoted and
unprincipled assault on the Church."

They said after seeing parts of
the second two-hour segment that at least an LDS viewpoint was allowed
side-by-side criticism of the Church
(e.g., on the issue of ). They also thought that most
people would be so turned off by the first two-hour segment that they
wouldn't want to see the second part.

--------

dbs

Is it bias or is it exposing blemishes you don't want to see?

If there was a program on Catholicism and it mentioned the horrible truth of molestation cover ups, would that be a bias or a blemish?

Back
Top Bottom