9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenStar

Refugee
Is it just me or is Sept.11 way over-rated? Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff but don't you think America has taken it too far? I just saw a commercial for a book about 9/11 called The Day the World Collapsed. I think America (not really the people of America) want the world to pity them so much. People call 9/11 the greatest tragedy to America in the last 100 years. That isnt the real tragety though. The real tragety is in the streets of America where people are being raped, kidnapped, killed, and more EVERY SINGLE DAY. So is the reason 9/11 is so important is because someone else other than America itself has caused the trouble?
:rant: :yell:

I dunno, timing could be perfect... depending on how well the quality of debate goes.

I implore anyone who is about to say something rude/personal/insane to think it over before they post it.

Ant.

I am over it all- I plan on watching a lot of videos on Sept 11 cause all that is going to be on the telly here in Australia is related to the events- I know what happened and I have seen all of the images countless times- I dotn need to see them all again- I think it is right to mourn and feel sad however I believe that we should also mourn all of the other countless people the world over who have been displaced or killed in the name of futile and pathetic wars......and by the way, my world did not collapse on Sept 11 last year, all that happened to me was that a lot of things that I had always suspected were made true and varified, it is sad that innocent people had to die, but from where I see it there is so much more to these events and utlimatley neither side those being Al Queda, America, Muslim, Christian are ever going to admit that they are ultimately wrong, anyway!!!!:scratch:

speaking personally, i am not over it. i am still heartbroken. this week is already overwhelming for me and reading something like this on the board today makes me feel worse. thanks.

OzAurora said:
I am over it all- I plan on watching a lot of videos on Sept 11 cause all that is going to be on the telly here in Australia is related to the events- I know what happened and I have seen all of the images countless times- I dotn need to see them all again- I think it is right to mourn and feel sad however I believe that we should also mourn all of the other countless people the world over who have been displaced or killed in the name of futile and pathetic wars......and by the way, my world did not collapse on Sept 11 last year, all that happened to me was that a lot of things that I had always suspected were made true and varified, it is sad that innocent people had to die, but from where I see it there is so much more to these events and utlimatley neither side those being Al Queda, America, Muslim, Christian are ever going to admit that they are ultimately wrong, anyway!!!!:scratch:

I agree. It is possible to pound something into the ground. I just dont think most people realise that.

While I don't plan on taking part in any public observance or ceremony, I will not be able to help but think about it on Wednesday...I hate to think about it because it is hard, but I'm sure I'll take a personal moment in my day to reflect on it internally.

However...I don't think "overrated" is a good term to describe the terrorist attack that we faced (and still have to deal with).

RavenStar said:
Is it just me or is Sept.11 way over-rated? Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff but don't you think America has taken it too far? I just saw a commercial for a book about 9/11 called The Day the World Collapsed. I think America (not really the people of America) want the world to pity them so much. People call 9/11 the greatest tragedy to America in the last 100 years. That isnt the real tragety though. The real tragety is in the streets of America where people are being raped, kidnapped, killed, and more EVERY SINGLE DAY. So is the reason 9/11 is so important is because someone else other than America itself has caused the trouble?

Overrated? A building collapsed and people died and stuff?

Would you feel this way if it happened in Canada?

Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Bono's American Wife said:

Overrated? A building collapsed and people died and stuff?

Would you feel this way if it happened in Canada?
Aye, I would feel this way if it happened to Canada. I'm just not sure if Canada would have to put sept.11 on hats, pins, tshirts, buttons, rings, pendants, bracelets, necklaces, mousepads, underware, card decks, etc. You dont see Ireland advertising the Troubles all over the place like that.

Re: Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

RavenStar said:

Aye, I would feel this way if it happened to Canada. I'm just not sure if Canada would have to put sept.11 on hats, pins, tshirts, buttons, rings, pendants, bracelets, necklaces, mousepads, underware, card decks, etc. You dont see Ireland advertising the Troubles all over the place like that.

Okay, so I'll agree with you that profiting from a tragedy is wrong, no matter where it happens. But if that is what you're tired of hearing and seeing, try and separate that from what actually took place that day. It was quite a bit more serious than a some people dying and building collapsing.

4 planes crashed, 2 buildings were destroyed, another badly damaged and THOUSANDS of lives were lost. My country was attacked by terrorists.

This was not a TV movie or a CD, this was real life.

RavenStar said:
Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff

Wow, that's a nice way to put it. :|

I try to avoid overly patriotic sentiments, but I still think that the deaths of nearly 3,000 innocent persons of DOZENS of nationalities is a pretty big deal, and does not fit into the "and stuff" category.

I really, really want to close this thread.

:sad:

Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

paxetaurora said:

I really, really want to close this thread.

:sad:

I hear that...if I put my true feelings about this thread into words, I'd probably be banned.

excuse me while i wipe away my tears.

RavenStar said:
I think America (not really the people of America) want the world to pity them so much.

excuse me? i know you aren't american, so perhaps you weren't really as violated as i was. but let me tell you that it is not in any way a pleasant feeling. people say we brought it on ourselves, is THAT the pity we were allegedly searching for? we aren't LOOKING for PITY on this at all. we were attacked. in front of our faces 3000+ people DIED. we don't NEED sympathy or pity.

i don't know that you watched the same broadcast as i did, where people were waving towels out of their office windows above the attack line and then they were gone. i saw them...then they were gone. for no reason. people jumped to their deaths and dozens of people survived the collapse then STARVED because they were not rescued in time.

and your separation of america and its people is ludicrous, america is made up of its people.

much like screaming flower, i am NOT ok with this. i am NOT healed and i don't know exactly when i will be, if ever. what i do know is a year ago today my life was normal. i didn't have flashbacks of the towers collapsing, and sometimes when i shut my eyes i didn't see people falling to their deaths in front of my eyes. now that is something i do not over-rate.

people on this board lost their loved ones in the attack. they watched this happen from their office windows. had you seen it in person, would you still call it passe?

i know that it may seem old, dealing with this same issue everyday, but it is scary. you don't live in a place that could potentially bombed on any given day at any given time and this post is an indication to me that you have the luxury of that safety.

Re: Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Bono's American Wife said:

I hear that...if I put my true feelings about this thread into words, I'd probably be banned.

I will.

If people arent reminded of such horror, it will giveway for history to repeat itself. This was the largest loss of human life in America by a foreign entity. I really dont give a rats ass if people are making money off of it... all the products help to remind people that this was no small event.

This was not a war, with a battleship hit, and navy men dying... this wasnt even a military base attacked... this was thousands of innocent people attacked, and murdered, in an incredibly cowardly way.

If you fail to understand this, perhaps you should take a minute to imagine that the person you loved the most in the world, parent or otherwise, was killed on 9/11 -- for NO FUCKING reason other than they were American, or just happen to be working in a civilian BUILDING.

This reminds me of the SICK people that say 'Oh the holocaust was no big deal.' or.. 'What was the holocaust?'

Get your head checked Ravenstar.

Joel

Is it even possible for me to even state an OPINION on this board? Everywhere I go people react the same way you guys did here. Can you not UNDERSTAND that I might not feel the same way you do? Get used to it, not everyone in life will have the same opinion as you do. Just be glad you can have different opinions.

RavenStar said:

did you actually think before you posted this???....did you honestly think...this would prompt discussion???

Raven star...I hope you realized..that not JUST americans died in the trade towers, Mexicans, Indians, CANADIANS, Germans, Brits and people of many other nationalities also perished.

RavenStar said:
Is it even possible for me to even state an OPINION on this board? Everywhere I go people react the same way you guys did here. Can you not UNDERSTAND that I might not feel the same way you do? Get used to it, not everyone in life will have the same opinion as you do. Just be glad you can have different opinions.

You stated your opinion... which most people find to be sick.
Catergorizing thousands of people murdered as 'stuff' really shows a lack of respect on your part to human life, and those that lost people they love. Perhaps you get the same reaction everywhere else, including here, for a reason.

Again, back to my example... stick your parents, your family, or your best friend in that building a year ago. Still think it's trivial?

Who knows, maybe you take pleasure in seeing thousands of people suffer.

Joel

RavenStar said:

and our opinions differ from yours, Get used to it, not everyone in life will have the same opinion as you do. Just be glad you can have a different opinion

I can easily put my family, friend, etc in those buildings. It is still no reason to take something as tragic as that and shove in people's faces.

adamswildhoney said:
Elvis what you said was very well put, I totally agree with what you said!

I seriously think we should just close this thread!

I don't want it closed.

I think people need to understand why Ravenstar's "opinion" is a sick one. Who am I to judge that it's "sick" ? Apparently someone that appreciates life, understands the difference between good and bad, and knows people that were IN the buildings!

Joel

RavenStar said:
I can easily put my family, friend, etc in those buildings. It is still no reason to take something as tragic as that and shove in people's faces.

Now you say 'as tragic as that' ???

Make up your mind. Seriously.

If you think its so tragic, why are you showing SO little respect for the loss of lives (ie. 'and stuff') ???

Joel

Elvis said:

I don't want it closed.

I think people need to understand why Ravenstar's "opinion" is a sick one. Who am I to judge that it's "sick" ? Apparently someone that appreciates life, understands the difference between good and bad, and knows people that were IN the buildings!

Joel

How is my opinion sick? Because I consider all the people dying on the streets more of a tragety? Have you ever seen a person shot on the streets? I have. I knoe people were in those buildings. I didnt say it wasnt tragic. I just said it isnt the MOST tragic thing that has happened to America.

RavenStar said:

Then by all means place yourself in the building and rid us of this sort of nonsense. If you are in fact so casual about putting your loved ones in the building, I dont' see why you should have any problem with this.

RavenStar said:

How is my opinion sick? Because I consider all the people dying on the streets more of a tragety? Have you ever seen a person shot on the streets? I have. I knoe people were in those buildings. I didnt say it wasnt tragic. I just said it isnt the MOST tragic thing that has happened to America.

Ooops... you picked the WRONG person to ask that question to.

I was 16, working in a mall... in a toy store...
I watched a girl, 14, get shot in cold blood, in the back, fall to the marble floor, face first, and blood gush out of her. I saw an innocent girl die, for no reason other than some asshole had a gun, and was fucked up in the head - no different than terrorists being fucked up in the head. One incident, one murder or rape... yes, those are TERRRRRRRRIBLE, but for thousands of people to be murdered at once, thats even more terrible.

You dont think so?
Tell me you think that 12 million people killed in a matter of years, by the Nazis, was only as significant as one person killed on the street. Can you?

Joel

Arun V said:

and our opinions differ from yours, Get used to it, not everyone in life will have the same opinion as you do. Just be glad you can have a different opinion

Raven-
I think you are giving you and your fellow Satanists a bad rap,
when you take this postion of the loss of innocent human-life.

Innocent human life is significant to you, correct?

God's love and understanding to you
:)

DB9

I think you all are missing the point of this thread. My idea was not to bash 9/11 at all. I was bashing all the shit that went along with it. I dont see anything wrong with a few tv shows or newspaper articles. But to go and put 9/11 over EVERYTHING?? I see people walking around sporting their new t-shirt with the WTC on fire and acting like they are so cool to have a t-shirt with that on it. Instead of just looking at the negative of 9/11, look at the positive. Yes, there is a positive. Look how everyone came together to help. Look hoe thousands of Newfoundlanders, the poorest people in my country, made a place in their homes for the people whose planes had to land there. Look how the WORLD came together to help. I think everyone has learned a lesson from 9/11. A lesson on how many peope can make a very bad situation better.

Back
Top Bottom