9/11 Overload? Post here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
I've had the TV on a little less than 30 minutes, and I've already decided that, unfortunately, we are simply doing TOO MUCH to remember 9/11: I fear that we will become burned out over the coverage.

We should (and do) remember, but hearing this on THE WEATHER CHANNEL is f---ing absurd.

If anyone finds this to be too much or simply wants to complain about a specific decision on the part of a single TV network, website, etc., feel free to post here.

I'll begin:

MTV: they're taking the opportunity today to play meaningful music videos, like R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" ("Everybody Hurts" is sure to be in the rotation today), but they just now played Kid Rock's "Only God Knows Why," his ballad in which he bitches about being successful.

What a POOR, TASTELESS choice.

(As another aside, it's a sad state of affairs that MTV is only watchable when they do stuff like this.)

Bubba

Last edited:
I agree Bubba... it's been too much for the past WEEK! Some shows I find interesting (like exactly how the towers collapsed), others I find too disturbing and others I find too distasteful.

As twisted as this might sound, one of the thoughts that ran through my head a year ago was how I would have to relive the events of 9/11/01 via TV, radio and the 'net for years to come. I can only hope that the rest of these events are broadcast gracefully today.

Of course, instead of watching TV, playing on the 'net, or listening to radio, perhaps we can do something good today. Let us spend this day helping someone in need. Let us spend it with a friend. Let us spend it with family. Let us turn off the world around us and focus on what is most important. Let this one day not be only about patriotism, but about love. Yeah... I know it sounds corny...but perhaps this one day of love - instead of just remembrance - can be the beginning of so much more.

Last edited:
I don't know if I agree that it's too much...I just watched the Today Show for about a half an hour, and that was really hard...but at least I can turn off the TV and make it "go away." I can't even begin to imagine how those who lost loved ones on this day last year are feeling.

God Bless America!

god bless all of us , peace on earth , justice to criminals and terrorists

Walk On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

yes, i'm overloaded already. I'd say that 90% of the people on my buddy list have profiles or away messages containing such phrases as "god bless america," "we remember," etc...etc...etc...(i find their attempts at patriotism to seem very shallow, like it's cool to mourn) and on top of that there's TV, internet, and radio like everyone has mentioned.

Let us never forget what happened on this day, but we've got to leave it behind.

God bless the world.

fuck the past, kiss the future...

Last edited:
I for one have no intention of complaining about coverage.

I have the LUXURY of being able to hit an off button. The people who survived that day or who lost their loved ones do not have that luxury. Those people are gathering today where their loved ones died, and where some of them are buried, as they were never recovered. I can't even imagine what they are feeling today.

Sorry, but what the media chooses to do is of no importance to me. Today I am reflecting on what happened a year ago. I am counting my blessings, especially the blessing that I didn't lose any friends or family that day. What I am feeling in my heart cannot be affected in any way by a TV or radio show.

I have no intention of getting into any sort of 'argument' about this issue. Today, of all days, is not a day for arguing. Those of us who are able to can hug our loved ones and be eternally grateful that we can choose to turn or off a radio or TV today and every other day that we have that luxury.

I'm glad the coverage is there for those who want it. Like you, I turned off the TV after 30 minutes. Now I have the Elevation DVD on and I'm enjoying time with my wife.

God bless all the INNOCENT souls that died on that day and God bless America.

I don't know what's going on because I made a conscious decision to turn off my TV today. There are better ways to reflect than staring at Aaron Brown's overly tanned face.

I turned it off after I heard Matt Lauer say in a chipper voice, "It's now 40 minutes past the hour. Let's go back to Katie at ground zero", like it was the Thanksgiving Day parade.

Gina Marie said:
I for one have no intention of complaining about coverage.

I have the LUXURY of being able to hit an off button. The people who survived that day or who lost their loved ones do not have that luxury. Those people are gathering today where their loved ones died, and where some of them are buried, as they were never recovered. I can't even imagine what they are feeling today.

Sorry, but what the media chooses to do is of no importance to me. Today I am reflecting on what happened a year ago. I am counting my blessings, especially the blessing that I didn't lose any friends or family that day. What I am feeling in my heart cannot be affected in any way by a TV or radio show.

I have no intention of getting into any sort of 'argument' about this issue. Today, of all days, is not a day for arguing. Those of us who are able to can hug our loved ones and be eternally grateful that we can choose to turn or off a radio or TV today and every other day that we have that luxury.

:up: Well said.

I agree. The press is absolutely drenching itself in...........I don't know why they have to show this on TV, over and over......it's insane. Yes, remember, but this is hysteria and madness. I suppose some people honestly feel like it's impossible to discuss anything else..........but I don't. Life is here, and now........I think that's the way to do it. Get on with your life, not all of this dwelling on this............:rant: :rant: :barf:

On this historic day, how appropriate that I should agree with Bubba! Now that's amazing. ;)

Gina also makes good points.

Gina Marie is right....some of us have the luxury of turning it off.

For some people this is coverage is giving them closure, these ceremonies are really the only chance most of them get to say goodbye to their lost loved ones.

There are plently of other things to watch on TV, not every channel is devoting itself to these memorials. I tried to watch some of the ceremonies, but found that it was too sad, I said my little prayer this morning at 8:46 and changed the channel.

Yes, I agree that this coverage is too much....however, we have the choice not to watch it.

I can understand how some people might find the coverage of 9-11 a bit of an overload. However, to people like me, it's very helpful right now. I lost my uncle in the north tower. My sister and I would visit him every year in New York. We were very close to him. So, his death was very hard on me.
Today was not an easy day to get out of bed--- but I did it. The reason-- because I know that there are plenty of other people out there who are going through the same. It is nice to turn on the television and see people who feel your pain.
I hope I don't come across as being angry because I don't mean to. I just wanted to give you all a different perspective.
Hugs, Mary

Mary,
I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope that you are finding some comfort in the ceremonies and memorials being held today. You didn't come across as angry, and thank-you for sharing your perspective on the subject.

Mary, I am deeply sorry for your loss. You didn't come across as angry in any way.

Yours is a much needed perspective here, so thank you so much for sharing this. I applaud you for your courage, and I'm glad that the TV coverage gave you a bit of comfort.

:hug:

I wasn't even going to post in this thread because I was leaning toward the "overload" side and figured why bother...that is until I read Mary's post. I guess I just needed to hear someone else's perspective on why we need the all day coverage.

I personally haven't watched more than 10 minutes or so today but I now understand why someone who was there or lost a loved one or friend might get some comfort in seeing others who have gone through it.

And Gina Marie, I understand what you mean about having the luxury of turing it off... :| Sometimes I have to be reminded to step outside of myself and see things from another perspective, something I'm not always good at doing.

Why is it that people can be civillised and discuss the media overload in this thread but over in the thread I started saying the media overload is getting to be too much makes oyu a sub-human angry adolecent?

RavenStar said:
Why is it that people can be civillised and discuss the media overload in this thread but over in the thread I started saying the media overload is getting to be too much makes oyu a sub-human angry adolecent?

My guess is its all in the way that you word it and what you really mean to say.

Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff but don't you think America has taken it too far?

As I agree that it is totall media overload today, I do have to say that a year ago today just under 3000 people died a block and a half from where I am sitting right now. It is kind of hard to ignore that.

I do think that the coverage will be decreased exponentially now that the year anniversary has ended...

Ravenstar,

The name-calling says more about the person calling the names, than it does about you.

I don't believe I have ever seen you call names.

Is it just me or is Sept.11 way over-rated? Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff but don't you think America has taken it too far?

I think your point was taken as immature from your opening...

Kinda hard to read this and be able to agree with you today...

deep said:
Ravenstar,

The name-calling says more about the person calling the names, than it does about you.

I don't believe I have ever seen you call names.

I try to avoid name-calling. It's amazing how I've been called immature while it's not immature for other to call me sub-human.

Yes I am on overload- here in Australia nearly every TV station has had coverage of this since Tuesday our time- I found it quite disturbing that last night there was a documentary on that re-enacted one of the flights that crashed into the WTC- I didnt watch it but I heard news of it on a show that was commenting on it- I kinda think that doing something like this (where they re-enacting it from the mobile phone calls that the passengers made to their loved ones) is really not good at all, I mean it dosn't sit well with me at all........I guess that I wish that we could also remember those killed in Afganistan- the women and children those subjected to the rule of the Taliban....I want to remember all of those who are innocent who have died as a result of the US and Middle East conflicts throughout history:confused:

Back
Top Bottom