4 dead, 16 injured in shooting at Montreal college

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...treal_shooting_060913/20060913?hub=TopStories
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/09/13/shots-dawson.html

Two gunmen reported dead in Montreal shooting

Updated Wed. Sep. 13 2006 2:31 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Two suspected gunmen are dead in a chaotic shooting scene at a college in downtown Montreal that has left three people in critical condition.

"Government sources are saying two of the gunmen are dead," said CTV's Jed Kahane, reporting from Montreal. "One may have taken his own life, the other was shot by police."

Kahane said police received a call about the shooting at just before 1 p.m. ET. There were questions about whether a third gunman was also involved.

Dawson College is located at the corner of Atwater and Sherbrooke in the heart of downtown Montreal.
This is like 3 blocks west of my apartment :(

EDIT: All major US networks covering it right now. Looks like there might be a third gunmen unaccounted for that the police are after downtown.

Last edited:
Wow. I was in Montreal in May for a conference. It's a beautiful city, and I was treated very warmly everywhere I went.

I hope everyone is alright. :(

I just caught some of this on the news on my lunch break. Terrible.

I go to a Quebec City college that's the equivalent of Dawson.... it's terrifying to think tragedies like this can happen in a place you think to be safe.

Montreal, vous êtes dans nos pensées.

Yeah it's shocking. I'm in the news business and I interviewed an eye witness of the shooting. He was frantic, talking a hundred miles a minute. His friend was shot.

Right now there is one gunman and he was shot by police. As for more gunman, everything I've heard suggests there were none. It was a crazy scene today and one you never think would happen in your city. What is this world coming to?

I'm sure this is bringing back bad memories of the 'Montreal Massacre' university killings in the late 80s. It's so tragic and sad....I can't imagine what it would be like to have a loved one involved with something like this.

angelordevil said:
I'm sure this is bringing back bad memories of the 'Montreal Massacre' university killings in the late 80s. It's so tragic and sad....I can't imagine what it would be like to have a loved one involved with something like this.

The Montreal Massacre was my first thought, and was it an anniversary or something.

This is awful, My heart goes out to parents who have kids going to school there, as well as the victims. :(

snowbunny00774 said:

The Montreal Massacre was my first thought, and was it an anniversary or something.

The massacre at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal of l'Université de Montréal took place on December 6,1989. That's when Marc Lepine, who was an anti-feminist, shot 26 people and killed 14 women, 13 of them students. He separated the men from the women.

Today's event seems to be a completely random act in the sense that the shooter did not choose his targets.

(AP) A man with a black trench coat whose shooting rampage in a Montreal college killed one person and wounded 19 others before he was slain by police said on a Web site in his name that his favorite Internet game was about the Columbine shootings.

The gunman who opened fire at Dawson College on Wednesday was Kimveer Gill, 25, of Laval, near Montreal, a police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because authorities were not ready to announce it publicly yet.

Six victims remained in critical condition, including two in extremely critical condition.

The official said police had searched Gill's home.

In postings on a Web site called VampireFreaks.com, blogs in Gill's name show more than 50 photos depicting the young man in various poses holding a rifle and donning a long black trench coat and combat boots.

One photo has a tombstone with his name printed on it _ below it the phrase: "Lived fast died young. Left a mangled corpse."

The last of six journal entries Wednesday was posted at 10:41 a.m, about two hours before the gunmen was shot to death after the college shooting.

He said on the site that he liked to play "Super Columbine Massacre," an Internet-based computer game that simulated the April 20, 1999, shootings at the Colorado high school by two of its students that left 12 classmates and one teacher dead.

Apparently the first police were on the scene within 4 minutes of the first shooting. I am thankful that the response was so quick and that the police entered the building right away instead of waiting outside. It could have be so much worse than it already is.

A sad news item was released on the CBC news website tonight. The family of the slain girl, Anastasia DeSousa 18yrs old, revealed today that they were not notified of their daughter's death until late in the evening although her death occurred around 1pm. The family is upset because the police took such a long time to notify the family. Her body was not removed until 6am Thursday morning, 16 hours after her death. She is survived by her parents, and two siblings, a younger brother and sister.

Back
Top Bottom