3rd Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
healthcare??

um.. 2 billions.

deficits. taxes. budget. medicare.

interesting debate.

huh.. now its about 5.6 billion. again taxes. kerry now. Alan Greenspan is great. ehm..

employment.

Your thoughts?

Bush tried to crack a joke about media reports providing misleading information about him, and then stopped when he realized who the host was, laughed to himself, and said "...nevermind. Anyway..."

Genius.

Oh, and Kerry said lesbian. OH MY GOD :rolleyes:

Actually the joke did come off. The "uhh...nevermind" was the punchline.

This one's another draw.

Kerry's coming off as a senator. He loves the sound of his own voice. All he's done for 20 years is debate. All he'll do as president is give long boring self-gratifying speeches.

Bush is like some guy who seems to have just wandered into the presidency and says things with minimal political doublespeak. Just because he seems like a less-seasoned politician doesn't mean that's going to hurt him...

I think this was the closest one yet. No brain farts for Bush. That's an accomplishment. However will Kerry improve in the poles from this debate? I don't think so. He's going to have a long month.

Kerry knows the issues and can talk about them. Bush just plays his role of a small-town guy and fills his answers with personal anecdotes. And why is Bush, the president, on the defensive?

and that joke about CBS and fasle media reports did go off as Bush wanted to, but was still a stupid thing to say

Kerry won but not by as much as the first one. Bush smirked too damn much and he lied. He said six months after 9/11 that bin Laden was not a concern.

And all of his solutions for problems were "education." Don't have a job? Get an education. You're black? Get an education.

Overall, didn't help Bush.

I don't see how Kerry won friday night definatively. He was overly long-winded, patronizing and even made the blanket assumption just by looking at everyone that the only people in the room who would be afffected by his tax plan was himself, Bush and the moderator. Bush brought Kerry's senate record to the forefront for the first time, which was a good move. Bush didn't come off as rehearsed and polished and condescending. I call it a draw...who cares what polls say. Thousands of flies can't be wrong - shit tastes great? There's no objective source that called it for Kerry, just his supporters. "Draw" was a much-used term. "Draw" will be the worst term used for this one, I say Bush won it. Kerry was on the defense most of the time on his favorate issues. Bush was relaxed and did great. 1st debate is ancient history - this one'll push the momentum back to Bush.

discothequeLP said:

and that joke about CBS and fasle media reports did go off as Bush wanted to, but was still a stupid thing to say

CBS tried to affect the result of an election by using forged documents. The joke was justified.

Kerry citing "several news networks" opinions to support his point wasn't exactly the most intelligent thing to say either.

I think it was the same as the 2nd debate. An essential draw.
So, Kerry won the first one, nobody can legitimately dispute that and I think the others were draws.

Basically it's going to come down to a few states.

iota said:

Kerry citing "several news networks" opinions to support his point wasn't exactly the most intelligent thing to say either.

Well the point was that Bush was wrong on that issue because those people fact checked it and published it.

A completely valid point.

There is no "knowing." It's just a matter of opinion... all three debates were close.

I agree with sharky - Bush started talking about his "No Child Left Behind" act (which as a student I can tell you have done nothing but increase the weight of standardized testing) during a question about minimum wage! WTF!

in the previous two debates, even as a Kerry supporter I have gone ahead and complimented both candidates for excellent answers and for having their individual moments to shine, in this particular debate I have say that Bush did not have a single one of those moments. Everytime he was cornered he did this evangelical nonsense about "standards, education, our children"......a question about something specific was diverted to him looking at the camera like a little kid asking for candy..........but that's just me

Xavier

macphisto23 said:
How do you know who won the previous debates? What is the method of knowing?

Well when Bush's 8-12 point lead disappeared overnight, that's a pretty decent clue that Kerry won the first debate.

That and even Fox News poll had Kerry winning that debate.

The second debate? I think it was pretty even, but ask a Kerry supporter and he will say Kerry won and do the same with the Bush supporters and they will say he won.

For all intents and purposes it doesn't really matter. More people watch the first debate than almost the other two combined.

It's gonna be a barn burner on Nov. 2nd.

Inner El Guapo said:

Well the point was that Bush was wrong on that issue because those people fact checked it and published it.

A completely valid point.

Fair enough. Just..... "several news networks" doesn't hold as much weight as it used to before Rathergate.

iota said:

CBS tried to affect the result of an election by using forged documents. The joke was justified.

do you really believe that? Dan Rather has always been keen on breaking news, and he may have jumped the gun on this one, but the point is that John Kerry has a much more honorable war record then Bush has. I find it humourous when Bush talks about his service in the National Guard. give me a break

discothequeLP said:

do you really believe that? Dan Rather has always been keen on breaking news, and he may have jumped the gun on this one, but the point is that John Kerry has a much more honorable war record then Bush has. I find it humourous when Bush talks about his service in the National Guard. give me a break

There were concerns about the documents, and the son of the man who signed them (supposedly) was interviewed and doubted the handwriting was his father's. That interview wasn't used. Rather wanted the story to be true even though there was plenty of doubt about the documents. But none of the doubt was represented in the story. For a journalist as seasoned as rather to do this goes beyond the realm of "jumping the gun" to "crusading."

So the joke tonight was funny.

Kerry's so boring though. It's so hard to relate to him because he's almost TOO presidential! While Bush isn't a really great speaker (like it really has an affect on how one leads a country) I think he's a more down to earth, easy going guy, which I like more.

I don't want a down-to-earth easy-going guy for my president, damnit! I want someone who can meet with other world-leaders and speak like an adult! Who can meet with these world-leaders and employ diplomatic tactics and debate certain leaders out of the room they're in! I don't care if they're down-to-earth or easy-going!

Back
Top Bottom