39% of Americans admit to being prejudiced against Muslims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

actually, i tend to agree with this.

i know several Muslims, have spent time with a Moroccan family when i was traveling there, and have nothing but nice things to say about them as human beings (and Morocco was the best travel experience i have ever had). however, i have a tough time respecting the various ways in which Islam is expressed in various societies (not so much in the US, though) much in the same way that i have a tough time respeting the various ways in which Christianity is expressed in some societies (very much in the US). if a Muslim draws great strength from Islam and this helps them be a better person, that's great. the same with Christianity. but it's when the religion becomes dogmatic, fundamentalist, and politicized -- not when a Christian or Muslim is political, but when Christianity or Islam becomes a political viewpoint -- then i have a problem with it no matter what, who, or where.

so i find the poll misleading and horribly lacking in nuance.

do i have issues with Islam? of course.

do i have issues with Muslims? not in the slightest.

I would have to agree with you both as well. If I had participated in a poll yesterday, I am afraid I would have responded rather negatively as well. Not to the extent of saying I wouldn't want a Muslim as a neighbor, or believing American Muslims back Al-Qaida...but I would have confessed to having problems with Islam.

And I have studied Islam and have usually been the first person to defend it as a faith that does not embrace or advocate violence. I was just arguing this with a Christian fundamentalist last month. (Who kept holding Rabbi Daniel Lapin up as some kind of expert..."I'm sure he's read the Qu'ran" :rolleyes: ) I will still defend it as such.

But I find myself getting very frustrated by the growing abuse and politicization of it. My greatest wish is that the peaceful Muslims would really band together and take their faith BACK--just as I wish Christians would do against fundamentalists.

AvsGirl41 said:

My greatest wish is that the peaceful Muslims would really band together and take their faith BACK--just as I wish Christians would do against fundamentalists.

This is my wish as well...

But if this forum is any indicator, it will be awhile.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And that's just the amount that admit it, given the threads in here and the things I see in my everyday life I would say that number is much much higher.

Yes, there are plenty of unspoken or unadmitted prejudices to go around.

They are perfectly spoken, a majority of Muslims want it to be illegal to speak out against their religon while at the same time there are many demanding the right to be prejudiced against Jews and homosexuals and to speak out to that effect, the layers of hypocricy in demanding state protection from critics as well as your right to criticise is simply irreconcilable with a pluralistic modern free society. The qualifiers in that assertion are two-fold, firstly the demand for religious vilification laws being supported may be found in any number of polls and secondly the many who want to reserve the right to criticise is on the basis of self appointed spokesmen who make prejudiced statements (one specific case may be Iqbal Sacranie on gays). Lets be perfectly clear I am not saying that the majority are Al Garuba types goosestepping down the street with placards declaring that those who insult their religion should be beheadded but I do think that a solid majority think that expressions like the Mohammed Cartoons should be banned and that there should be an enforceable law against blasphemy, when I look at the religious vilification law that we have in Victoria I only wonder why it doesn't tackle the genuine vilification of others by the religious - true religious vilification.

The demands for respect ring very hollow when the religion has relegated my ideological and philisophical kin to percecution and death, I will abide and tolerate Islam but I will give it no more respect than I do other conservative theologies - a point to which the religious may invariably be wary about.

As a furthur note of prejudice it may be worthwhile refering to the survey that I posted a month ago about the most hated group in America today, the atheists - they fall behind the Muslims and the Gays - in a free society all groups are equal in their lack of protection or persecution by the state.

Last edited:
toscano said:
Not to mention the whiny yet erroneous arrogant generalization

:blahblah:

When you're ready to contribute something to this thread besides FUD and e-mail forwards, then we'll talk.

Melon

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 39% of Americans admit to being prejudiced against Muslim

Muggsy said:
I was going to mention that group since I'm Colombian and I've seen how violent they are against civil population....

and they are not muslims :|

I think Irvine was mentioning other terrorist groups besides Muslims. ETA is Basque. The Shining Path is Peruvian....I think? The Tamil Tigers are in Sri Lanka, and it's ethnic motivated, not religious.

I think the other was referring to "Baader-Meinhof Group" or, more commonly known as the "Red Army Faction," a West German left-wing terrorist organization in the 1970s.

Melon

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 39% of Americans admit to being prejudiced against Mu

melon said:

I think Irvine was mentioning other terrorist groups besides Muslims. ETA is Basque. The Shining Path is Peruvian....I think? The Tamil Tigers are in Sri Lanka, and it's ethnic motivated, not religious.

I think the other was referring to "Baader-Meinhof Group" or, more commonly known as the "Red Army Faction," a West German left-wing terrorist organization in the 1970s.

Melon

yeah.. I understand that.. that's why I mentioned that :)

lore.

Back
Top Bottom