346 similarities between christ and chrishna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danospano said:
I love this topic, because I recently read a book called 'The Hiram Key" and it mentioned similarities in several religions that preceeding Christianity (Virgin's giving birth to babies, a peaceful human somehow being the offspring of a god, fables about floods and heroics, etc).

One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized. This connect to Krishna is yet another example and proves that religion is based on faith/stories dealing with mystical entities that watch over us.

give 'aryan sun myths: the origin of religions' a read if you liked that book.

it seems that most major religions are just an extention of the ancients' reverence for the sun.

'You say we worship the sun; so do you.'
Church Father Tertullian ('Ad nationes')

AcrobatMan said:
Everything you wrote about Krishna and his history is INCORRECT.

from his spelling, his mother's name, friend's name and how Krishna forgave...., about Krishna's special friend, about birth of Krishna, about shepherds coming to visit, about how he died.., everything, everything...

Everything is WRONG.. its PLAIN and SIMPLE wrong

Where you got this stuff.. :wink:

i'm not quite sure what the tone of this post was supposed to be, but i'll clarify anyway that i didn't come up with the list - i just posted it for discussion. so if you'd like to bring up points that contradict the list, i think it would do well to continue the dialogue.

Se7en said:

i'm not quite sure what the tone of this post was supposed to be, but i'll clarify anyway that i didn't come up with the list - i just posted it for discussion. so if you'd like to bring up points that contradict the list, i think it would do well to continue the dialogue.

The tone is utter surprise. ( in a friendly way). :)

I said EVERYTHING about Krishna you have written is wrong except possibly some of them . I dont know where to start from - spelling, birth, birthdate,cause of death, father's occupation, mother's name... ...

I would appreciate if you check anything before posting.. I mean I dont want 100% accuracy... Even a 20-30% authentic article would do for me..I am afraid whoever had made this list..doesnt know anything...atleast on one side...

I think you would take this in a good way...

Assume what happens when I say
1) Christ was born in a prison
2) Christ's father was a king
3) Christ's mother's name was something that is something like Devaki or Yashoda ..
...birthday..death date..forgiveness...everything is WRONG..

well i can tell 133 such things..which are not simply true... wonder why people compile such FAKE list.

I suggest you to do a google search and find out things yourself :)
I am sure you would appreciate it.

At the end I am not saying this is correct or that is wrong...There are different people who believe different things.. I am not saying this person existed or not existed..or whatever this God better than that or whether or not they are same.....But if there is a belief..it should be presented correctly..

The only similarity is both Jesus Christ and Krishna are considered God by different set of people.. ( with some overlap I suppose)...
Now there are diverse views if we go into details.

But I suppose you know what I am meaning..

AcrobatMan

AcrobatMan, I never said Krishna didn't believe in love, but I have to question a faith that includes such an "empty" idea such as reincarnation. Basically, who you are now means nothing in the scheme of things, it's all about who your working toward being and hoping you come back as something "better." I know there's aspects of the faith that are beautiful, but there are some that aren't. I'm not living to "hope" that I come back a better person next time and not an animal of some sort, I'm living to glorify God who created me, loves me and died for me so I could live with him forever. And I can do this not based on works, but his grace. That's the love I'm talking about. Hinduism depends too much on works. I don't know if you believe in reincarnation, but do you think the way you've lived your life is good enough to keep you from coming back as a dog? Frankly, there's things I've done in my life that would cause me to come back as a freaking worm, but because of God's grace, not my works, I'm forgiven. Does that make sense?

coemgen said:
a faith that includes such an "empty" idea such as reincarnation. ..... And I can do this not based on works, but his grace. That's the love I'm talking about. Hinduism depends too much on works. I don't know if you believe in reincarnation, but do you think the way you've lived your life is good enough to keep you from coming back as a dog? Frankly, there's things I've done in my life that would cause me to come back as a freaking worm, but because of God's grace, not my works, I'm forgiven. Does that make sense?

No. Not really. You're still showing a lack of understanding of reincarnation. Humans don't reincarnate as animals. Reincarnation puts all the responsiblity for advancement on the individual, something which Christianity is greatly missing as far as I'm concerned. Also, other faiths include reincarnation as a tenet of the religion, not just Hinduism. Expand your reading list. You might be interested to learn more about the subject.

Relying on "grace" allows for entirely too many excuses for screw-ups by too many people. Let's revisit that famous bumpersticker: "I'm not perfect, just forgiven." That thing always bugged the hell out of me.

Well I'm glad people can't reincarnate into animals. :wink:
Still, it sounds like a very humanistic faith if you focus on advancement for the individual. Christianity has the ultimate "advancement" if you will — eternity with God, who will reward us where it's due. But it focuses more on how we glorify God, not how we "obtain advancement."
And Grace isn't a cruch to lean on. I can't sin and justify it by saying "oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness." God's not going to show that person grace if they're not truly sorry for what they've done.
At the same time, there is no true forgiveness without grace. And grace is a hard thing for people to accept, because it's too simple. We feel we have to earn forgiveness or earn salvation, but how can that be possible? Forgiveness is always a gift, we just have to accept it.
As far as the bumper sticker, I hate it too. It's cocky. :angry:

coemgen said:

And Grace isn't a cruch to lean on. I can't sin and justify it by saying "oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness." God's not going to show that person grace if they're not truly sorry for what they've done.

So a Christian can be thrown into the deepest levels of Hell if he's says he's sorry but he really isn't?! That'll be news to some Christians, won't it?

Oh, and once again "humanist" is a modern term. I'm not sure it can applied to a religion that's been around for a few thousand years. And isn't "humanist" at all.

In fairness, however, one purported similarity needs to be discredited. Skeptics sometimes cite Kersey Graves in Sixteen Crucified Saviors or Godfrey Higgin's Anacalypsis (which Graves drew from) in asserting that Krishna was a crucified deity. No such event occurred in the Gita or in any recognized Hindu scripture. Given the pronounced syncretic tendency of Hinduism, it is safe to assume that any odd tales of Krishna's being crucified arose only after the existence of Christian proselytism, in imitation of the Christian narrative. It is neither authentic to Hinduism nor is Hinduism the source of that portion of the Christian narrative. The same may be said for most of the purported nativity stories. In my opinion, both Higgins and Graves are highly unreliable sources and should be ignored.

That notwithstanding, the existence of uncanny similarities in concept and phraseology in those Hindu writings that are both ancient and authentic leaves Christians in a difficult quandary. With the historical reality of Indian influence on the Middle East being an established fact, how can they account for these similarities with anything less feeble than coincidence, or less bizarre than the notion of "Satanic foreknowledge and duplication," which is sometimes invoked to explain the similarities of Judeo-Christian precursors?

I'll close with Ecclesiastes 1:10 , another inconvenient and uncomfortable passage: "Is there anything whereof it may be said, See, this is new? It hath been already of old time, which was before us."

http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1994/3/3hare94.html

graves is the person who wrote the list in the first place. very interesting indeed. perhaps we should transition to general ancient influence on christianity instead.

martha said:

So a Christian can be thrown into the deepest levels of Hell if he's says he's sorry but he really isn't?! That'll be news to some Christians, won't it?
There will be a few surprises on Judgement Day for those who use God's name as an excuse, when they don't allow him into their lives.

martha said:

I'm sure all Christians will be surprised by some portion of their beliefs.

I'm sure you can understand the difference between saying and believing. The ideal is that you cannot fool God by what you say if your heart holds something different.

Christianity and Krishna may have potential similiarities, but all Religions share the same baisc impetus - Religion is the original way of understanding and making sense of the world around us, adding collective structure to an otherwise individualistic and chaotic individualistic mind. Until the real God showed up, the universal religion - Science. Primitive notions in a modern world are the reason for conflict, such as the Palestinian-Israeli war, and the psychotic terroristic splinters of Islamic Extremism.
Look at the problems of trying to dictate an entire society in the name of some interpreted version of religion, a procrustean ambition that leads to uprising and war in a time when people should be able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

- Nicholas

martha said:

So a Christian can be thrown into the deepest levels of Hell if he's says he's sorry but he really isn't?!

3 entries found for truly.

1. Sincerely; genuinely: We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.
2. Truthfully; accurately: reported the matter truly.
3. Indeed: truly ugly.
4. Properly: not truly civilized.

Hey Martha: Humanism: "belief in the promotion of human interests, intellect and welfare." You were talking about how reincarnation focuses on "advancement". Sounds like a human interest. My point was it's a self-centered faith. If all you're trying to do is advance yourself, what's the point of that? Plus, it led to the caste system. Are you going to tell me that's from a divine source?

Humanism sounds like a modern day Hinduism to me. Mankind alone creating a diety that doesn't come from God.

coemgen said:
Hey Martha: Humanism: "belief in the promotion of human interests, intellect and welfare." You were talking about how reincarnation focuses on "advancement". Sounds like a human interest. My point was it's a self-centered faith. If all you're trying to do is advance yourself, what's the point of that? Plus, it led to the caste system. Are you going to tell me that's from a divine source?

I know only the bare facts of Hinduism (and maybe not even those).

But I don't think "advancement" in Hinduism, or Buddhism (which it bears a slight resemblence to) is at all a negative thing or a human interest. The hope is that you continually lead a better life in the hope that you will one day attain nirvana, which is complete oneness with Krishna.

How is it any different, other than in wordage, than Christianity? Are not Christians always seeking to better themselves in hopes of being reunited with God? We just don't believe in multiple chances. Faith may save you, but you can't go around committing sins. You're forgiven, but it's not a free pass for bad behavior.

All faiths are ultimately self-centered, aren't they? It's about you and your relationship with your chosen Deity, and how you will both benefit from the relationship. (If this comes off as negative, I'm sorry, that's certainly not how I mean it. I'm not denying the power or presence of love in such a relationship.)

While the caste system is far from admirable, Christianity cannot claim better. It has been used to justify slavery, serfdom, sexism, anti-Semitism, genocide, and too many wars to even count. We cannot cast the first stone.

Great post AvsGirl. I've heard nirvana is a state of emptiness, not oneness with Krishna. If I'm wrong though, then I'm wrong. :wink:
To answer your question, no, Christians aren't always seeking to better themselves in hopes of being reunited with God. We seek to better ourselves in hopes of serving him more, carrying out his will for our lives and being obedient, but our salvation doesn't depend on what we do with our lives other than accepting Christ as our lord and savior. After that point, we do try to live a Christ-like life and follow his commands, but if we slip and screw up, we have forgiveness available to us. (And you're right, forgiveness ISN'T a free pass to sin.) It was set up this way because God knows we're not perfect, so why would he expect us to be? You know? His forgiveness, his grace, allows our sins to be erased in his eyes, as long as we sincerely seek forgiveness. And only he can judge our hearts on that one.
In regards to the caste system, it's an actual part of the Hindu faith, right? Isn't it tied to reincarnation? Nowhere in the Bible are we commanded to use slavery, serfdom, be sexist, committ genocide or be anti-semitic. Does that make sense? :)

coemgen said:
HYou were talking about how reincarnation focuses on "advancement". Sounds like a human interest. My point was it's a self-centered faith. If all you're trying to do is advance yourself, what's the point of that? Plus, it led to the caste system. Are you going to tell me that's from a divine source?

It's not self-centred at all. You have a wrong idea of what the faith is about and what karma constitutes. Your actions cannot be seen indepenently in this world, and Hindus believe that atman and brahman are one, and there is the famous story of cracking a fruit with seeds falling out. Individual people are seeds/atman, but they come together to form brahman in a perfect unity. So karma is not about individual advancement, although the end result is either a move up or down in your next rebirth, but karma involves your role and duty (dharma) in the world, and part of that are selfless deeds without any expectation of benefit or return to yourself. Not self-centered in the least.

coemgen said:
Great post AvsGirl. I've heard nirvana is a state of emptiness, not oneness with Krishna.

I think you are confusing Hinduism with Buddhism. The Buddha was often accused by critics to be preaching nihilism, and the reason behind this is that while in Hinduism, the escape from the cycle of rebirth (samsara) is well established and described, The Buddha did not spend much time discussing nirvana. His view was that he was a teacher, that he could show one way of achieving it, but nothing was really said beyond that, so that some critics concentrated on that and said that nirvana = nihilism (or nothingness/emptiness as you put it), when in fact The Buddha's main achievement in life was not to describe the state of liberation, but the path to getting there.

coemgen said:

In regards to the caste system, it's an actual part of the Hindu faith, right? Isn't it tied to reincarnation? Nowhere in the Bible are we commanded to use slavery, serfdom, be sexist, committ genocide or be anti-semitic. Does that make sense? :)

Again, I don't know much about Hinduism. But I'm 98% sure that
the caste system was not a part of Hindu faith. It's a social system derived from the belief (and, I would say, a misinterpretation of) reincarnation.

The fact that the caste system is slowly crumbling in urban areas, whereas Hinduism is not, is also proof of that. They aren't dependant on one another.

Of course the Bible doesn't command those things, but it doesn't mean that it hasn't been used to justify such atrocities. That's a sad fact of history.

Back
Top Bottom