2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhhhhhhhhh...

If I was asked that 2nd grade level debate closer of a question, the one thing I'd say about ole' toddler fingers is that he's one of the best con men the world has ever seen.

His entire being, his celebrity and so called billionaire status, is a con. So I give him a little more credit than that.

That said... and I was one of the believers that he was doing this as a Clinton plant early on, I don't believe that anymore. I think he did this to get a new contract from NBC and/or set himself up to launch his own political network, and it just took off cause the GOP is a clown car in a dumpster fire.

Unless, of course, the Vatican controlled aliens that give us our clean energy are behind it. That would be different.

This was pretty much my line of thought.

Plus, look at the names he's made for his children.

believe it or not, i do have some conservative evangelical-type friends.

one of them just posted this:

or, in other words, "abortion."

oh wow, thanks so much Irvine - i will have a read and try not to smash my head on my desk repeatedly afterwards hehe

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

If I was asked that 2nd grade level debate closer of a question, the one thing I'd say about ole' toddler fingers is that he's one of the best con men the world has ever seen.

His entire being, his celebrity and so called billionaire status, is a con. So I give him a little more credit than that.

That said... and I was one of the believers that he was doing this as a Clinton plant early on, I don't believe that anymore. I think he did this to get a new contract from NBC and/or set himself up to launch his own political network, and it just took off cause the GOP is a clown car in a dumpster fire.

Unless, of course, the Vatican controlled aliens that give us our clean energy are behind it. That would be different.

I think there's no way that an individual who is more impulsive than a 3-year old child can play that kind of long game. I think the millionaire/TV celebrity thing are just consequences of his narcisistic personality, which happen to fit that context. He didn't need to be strategic at all; he just had to follow his basic instincts every step of the way.

Things are about to get even crazier.

[TWEET]785842546878578688[/TWEET]

I'm ready.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

I think there's no way that an individual who is more impulsive than a 3-year old child can play that kind of long game. I think the millionaire/TV celebrity thing are just consequences of his narcisistic personality, which happen to fit that context. He didn't need to be strategic at all; he just had to follow his basic instincts every step of the way.
Can't play the long game?

His entire life is a façade. He's been playing this long game for decades. I think he's capable of convincing himself of anything.

Can't play the long game?

His entire life is a façade. He's been playing this long game for decades. I think he's capable of convincing himself of anything.

But that's exactly the point: delusion is a central aspect of narcisistic personalities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
1. Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
2. Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
3. Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions

It's not a con if you don't believe it's a con, is my point. He actually believes he is super powerful, successful and intelligent. He doesn't say these things simply as a game.

But that's exactly the point: delusion is a central aspect of narcisistic personalities.

It's not a con if you don't believe it's a con, is my point. He actually believes he is super powerful, successful and intelligent. He doesn't say these things simply as a game.
Well okay that's possible. But that's still intelligence, albeit clouded in mental illness.

OMG! That's actually real?? LMAO!!! I thought it was from the worst SuperPAC of all time.
actually showing her getting helped up icy steps. LOL.

Seriously, i am SO excited about Trump being unshackled. This is going to be a grand 28 days

i also find it incredibly depressing that we have our first female nominee, and the conversation is about rape and sexual assault, and the fitness or not of her male opponent (her actual qualifications and experience are incidental -- it's still all about the man). my hope is that this is part of the unveiling of how the forces of sexism (like other -isms) shape our lives. Trump is the walking embodiment of rich straight white male privilege. though painful, i hope that this is instructive for any men (and women) who might be skeptical that such privilege exists, or that this is how some men really talk about and think about women. by giving this concept a name, a face, and a hot mic, we can better talk about and then understand how it works and what it does. let's not pretend that there's no such thing as rape culture.

Indeed.

[TWEET]785896765539037185[/TWEET]

Eric Trump shared with the office staff, “I think sometimes when guys are together they get carried away, and sometimes that’s what happens when alpha personalities are in the same presence,” on why his father and Billy Bush shared in such a “lewd” exchange about grabbing women by the “pussy” and getting away with it because of status.

You betas wouldn't understand

i can remember lots of graphic alpha straight male sex talk in locker rooms, but it pretty much always was under the pretext of, you know, consent.

seems pretty obvious, no?

THE CLINTON campaign has refused to deny or confirm the authenticity of a WikiLeaks report including apparent purloined emailed excerpts of her paid speeches to corporate audiences in the years between her departure from the State Department in 2013 and her declaration for president in 2015. We hope the excerpts are genuine, because at least in the texts made public as of Monday, the Hillary Clinton that emerges is a knowledgeable, balanced political veteran with sound policy instincts and a mature sense of how to sustain a decent, stable democracy.

With a level of self-awareness unimaginable in her opponent, Ms. Clinton described herself in one speech as “kind of far removed” from the ordinary American’s struggles because of her newfound wealth, and suggested she was making a conscious effort to compensate for that. In other talks, she said she “really admire” even ideological opponents willing to run for office amid the toxicity of modern politics; she noted, correctly, that the optimal situation for the United States is “two sensible, moderate, pragmatic parties.” She also favored the bipartisan Simpson-Bowles framework for deficit reduction, in which entitlement reform would be traded for progressive tax increases, and she offered an astute, historically informed discussion of the challenges of extending health-care coverage at an affordable cost.

Her comments are playing as an embarrassment for various reasons — some valid, others not. She deserves criticism for withholding the speeches thus far, as well as for pursuing corporate speaking fees with unseemly abandon in the first place. And the speeches offer further proof that her election-year disavowal of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement is an opportunistic trim, not an expression of her views.

As for the shock-horror on both the Sandersian left and the Trumpian right about her reported aspiration for a “hemispheric common market” with “open trade and open borders,” however — it’s wrongheaded and hyped. Regional free trade is well advanced already, via existing agreements with Canada, Mexico and 10 other Latin American nations. And, in context, she’s clearly not advocating unregulated immigration. Did she call on Wall Street types to “help us figure . . . out” what went wrong in the Panic of 2008? Yes. Did she promise to privilege their views or interests? No, and she even warned them it was in their own interest to face greater accountability, given public distrust of finance. Then there’s her much-maligned view that “you need both a public and a private position,” which is playing as a confession of two-facedness but is actually a clumsy formulation of obvious truth: Nothing gets done in politics unless legislators can deliberate and negotiate candidly, outside the glare of publicity.

This whole episode illustrates that point. Ms. Clinton kept the speeches under wraps out of fear that they would be distorted for political purposes by her populist foes. Alas, that fear was amply justified in this populistic, polarized environment, as the manufactured uproar over their release proves. The fact that Ms. Clinton’s eminently reasonable and open-minded words regarding the issues and her opponents are being treated as scandalous is the real scandal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...b10449e33c4_story.html?utm_term=.8e30be9cf0e2

Yep. I'll admit that my buddies and I would talk about women in a sexual way. How hot someone looked, how good would she be in bed....I bet she gives great helmet.....

Those sort of things. Not once in my life around guys have I heard someone talk about what they actually do to women, married, single, or not. Always heard stories of one night stands, but it was consensual, or as Irvine stated, the pretext was consensual.

People can joke and be offensive, I don't care. Trump was not being ironic/sarcastic. He was talking about what he literally does when he approaches beautiful women.

Intent is everything here.

i also find it incredibly depressing that we have our first female nominee, and the conversation is about rape and sexual assault, and the fitness or not of her male opponent (her actual qualifications and experience are incidental -- it's still all about the man). my hope is that this is part of the unveiling of how the forces of sexism (like other -isms) shape our lives. Trump is the walking embodiment of rich straight white male privilege. though painful, i hope that this is instructive for any men (and women) who might be skeptical that such privilege exists, or that this is how some men really talk about and think about women. by giving this concept a name, a face, and a hot mic, we can better talk about and then understand how it works and what it does. let's not pretend that there's no such thing as rape culture.

This is such a good post. Trump is an abhorrent candidate, but the underlying theme about this race is sexism, in my view. It's present in so many ways. Hillary is a "wonk", not a "leader". Her achievements are attributed to men; the failures of men around her are attributed to her. How many times have people stopped to actually discuss how she's possibly the most qualified candidate - in terms of pure experience - in a generation (I guess you could make an argument for George H. W. Bush).

I am not sure how I feel about sexism being out there in the open. Yes, it can generate discussion and hopefully improvement. But it can also legitimize or routinize it. You see it in the signs that people carry to rallies. The level of discourse is troubling.

Same is true for the other -isms, as you mention. I've seen many Jewish commentators say they hadn't experienced this level of anti-Semitism ever before. And aggression - verbal or otherwise - to minorities is becoming commonplace. I think the US is becoming much more similar to Europe insofar as the extreme right is concerned; this simply wasn't true 10 years ago.

You betas wouldn't understand

I hated her praise of Trump's kids during the debate and I hate it even more now. Maybe she should have said "except the neo-Nazi one".

Last edited:
So apparently Tom Delonge, former frontman of blink-182, was found in some Clinton emails. Much like Bono, asking about stuff in space. Except, this was about UFOs.

He's been on this shit for a while, but who would've ever thought in the 90s he was literal about "aliens exist?"

Hahah decided to check out Trump's Twitter (never again) and saw this gem.

[TWEET]785816454042124288[/TWEET]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom