2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn it, technology. Thanks. I won't use Google photos to try and post pics. I posted the URL that it gave me as a "direct link to share" after uploading the picture to my account.

Google, like Bono, is full of lies.

Google, like Bono, is full of lies.

I googled "Bono is full of lies" and this one of the first images that pops up.

Bono-Clinton-Foundation-Clinton-Global-Initiative-Getty-640x480.jpg

True story.

the entire thing is "vote for trump because she's not hillary, who is certain to do all these horrible unconstitutional things that are actually impossible to accomplish, unlike building giant concrete walls on borders to keep out brown people or creating 'safe zones' to ship brown people who are already here terrorists off to!"

It's even more simple than that. Much of the argument is about the SCOTUS, which means abortion and gay rights(well, and guns because they're convinced Hillary wants to abolish the second amendment).

It's all about social issues. The notion that he might be a madman who wants to use nukes, the notion that he might be singularly reckless in the foreign policy sphere, doesn't matter, as long as abortion is illegal and gay people are treated like shit.

I happen to like how these allegations against Trump are clearly false and these women are lying. And him going after the accused is his right.

Yet any allegations against the Clintons and they're the guilty ones. They're in the wrong.

It's just so stupid I can't be bothered.

Will say that the GOP media, talk shows, websites are going to make a killing in ad revenue and ratings for the next 4 years.

One boogeyman replaced by a boogeywoman

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Playing catch up here...

Awww....somebody is sad that the Orange windbag is taking all of his attention. Someone get Rush a bacon flavored binky.

:lol:

That said, regarding Limbaugh's comments...

I have never fought anyone in my life but if I heard someone say this in person I would punch him in the face.

Yes. This.

Things that Republicans are allowed to do but Democrats aren't:
- Not be proud of 'merica (remember the backlash for that statement by Ms. Obama?);
- Be cosy towards Russia;
- Apologize for 'merica's actions;
- Criticize the military.

Also criticize and disrespect the president. Remember how, when Bush was in office, Republicans said that we had to support the president no matter what? Funny how their attitude on that quickly changed when Obama became president.

I'm so tired of this campaign. The guy is behaving like a sociopath and there are 30 million people who either don't see it or don't care. Not to mention all the surrogates who go on TV everyday and answer every question with 'the real question/issue/outrage/whatever is Hillary's e-mails/pay-to-play/Benghazi/Bill is a rapist/etc'.

I would say I will breath an enormous sigh of relief on the evening of November 8 when the election is called for Hillary, but at this point I'm afraid he won't concede and instead incite his supporters to start rioting.

Agree so hard on this. Seriously, Trump's supporters went from amusing to unsettling to "Okay, now you're REALLY scaring me." There was a woman who attended a speech by Pence here in Iowa the other day, and she said she was "ready for a revolution" if Clinton becomes president. What kind of revolution, she didn't specify, but...yeah.

...the hell did I just read here?

Hillary 2008 was a much better candidate, an ok Senator and no failures at Sec of State, no Benghazi, no email scandals, no FBI investigations, no deleted and scrubbed servers after a subpoena, no Clinton foundation pay to play questions, I was actually a strong supporter of her in the primaries, I was tired of the GOP and W was the worst president ever. So the Dems had a clear path and I was all in for Hillary

but in here, I had to listen to these kind of things being said about her

01-24-2008, 01:51 PM

the Clintons certainly have proven adept at the worst kind of mud slinging, obfuscations, distortions, and outright lies. the only good thing about an Obama defeat would be to watch potentially the two most narcissistic people of their generation turn their vicious, nasty politics on the Republicans.

and McCain should be worried. as the primaries have shown, he's not running against Hillary. he'll either run against Obama, or against The Clintons.

maybe it's the grim january weather, maybe it's the end of the week and i'm tired, or maybe i just need a snack, but the idea of having to vote for any of these loathsome people -- Obama excluded -- is enough to make me want to crawl under the covers and stay there.

in a country of 300m people, bursting with innovation and ideas, a country that rewards initiative and ambition, *this* is all we get?

I can explain how I went from a supporter to someone that has lost confidence in her based upon what she has done from 2008 until now.

How can people that said she was the worst in 2008 now say she is great??

Also criticize and disrespect the president. Remember how, when Bush was in office, Republicans said that we had to support the president no matter what? Funny how their attitude on that quickly changed when Obama became president.
This always bothers me at my family's church.

It literally says to pray for our leaders in the Bible. It's in there.

And yet, all during W's term we prayed for the president, but during Obama's? Not a peep. I always hoped I'd get called on to pray at church so I could do it, but no one ever did because they all know I'm too shy to speak up in a large group.

This always bothers me at my family's church.

It literally says to pray for our leaders in the Bible. It's in there.

And yet, all during W's term we prayed for the president, but during Obama's? Not a peep. I always hoped I'd get called on to pray at church so I could do it, but no one ever did because they all know I'm too shy to speak up in a large group.

Wow. Yeah, that's pretty crappy.

I sympathize with your shyness in large groups, though, yes. But if you ever do get a chance during the remainder of Obama's term, go for it :).

Pretty sure I wrote that.

Sometimes people have bad days and vent (as was, you know, stated explicitly in the post) this being an Internet forum where one is encouraged to work out ideas and thoughts that may change over the course of 8 years. I believe that was probably right around the New Hampshire primaries where Hillary sniffled and wiped a tear and trounced O in NH. And then we had what was a genuinely exciting, inspired 2008 Dem campaign where two formidable opponents squared off on the basis of ideas and policy, and the better candidate won.

And the utter awfulness of Donald Trump. That seems to have a way of making this, by far, the easiest electoral decision of my lifetime. It also has a way of highlighting what is good about her. And the fact that she is all that's standing between us and the apocalypse.

When deep goes low, we go high.

and then i find this gem fifteen minutes later: Interview: Doug Ford on Donald Trump - CityNews

Cynthia Mulligan: So you’ve actually met Donald Trump.

Doug Ford: Yes, with Rob when he opened the Trump tower in Toronto.

CM: Are you still a supporter of Donald Trump?

DF: Absolutely. I wouldn’t waver. The GOP is wavering, I wouldn’t waver.

CM: Well Republicans are jumping off the ship in droves. Why is it you’re still staying on?

DF: Well they weren’t on the ship at the beginning. So the establishment that he’s run against – the 14 million people in the US are dead against these queer politicians – they were never with him. So the Paul Ryans, and the McCains, they’re finding any excuse to jump ship. But they don’t realize it makes their campaigns a lot weaker. What he has said is inexcusable – some of the things.

CM: Then how can you still support him and all these revelations from women coming out saying he has sexually assaulted them? How can you still stand by him?

DF: First you have to make sure it’s true. That’s the first thing. Accusations are coming out.

CM: Sure, but it’s almost reminiscent of Bill Cosby. When they just start piling on and there’s a wing of common accusation here.

DF: It’s inexcusable. But I look at the alternative. The alternative is Crooked Hillary. That if you ever look into their background I have to wonder how they made all this money when she was in government. They didn’t own a business. There were tens of millions of dollars. And she was Secretary of State. So I think this WikiLeaks every day is coming out with new information that should shock the people. Let’s put this into perspective. Over 80% of the media can’t stand him in the US. I’ve never seen a more biased media in my entire life, except Rob Ford. But outside of that I have not seen a more biased media.

CM: Do you see parallels between Donald Trump and Rob Ford?

DF: No, Rob’s totally different than Donald Trump.

CM: But in terms of going against the establishment, not being accepted as you claim by the media —

DF: Absolutely. Rob wasn’t accepted by the Conservative Party, Liberal Party or the NDP even though he had tremendous support and traditional NDP voters and Liberal Voters and Conservative voters. The establishment don’t see eye-to-eye with the Fords and that’s their choice along with the career politicians. Donald Trump’s a businessman, he’s a very successful businessman. I think he’s a marketing genius. They need a change down in the US. Obama has been an absoulte disaster in my opinion in the US. I run a business. The healthcare costs are going through the roof for not only the businesses but the people.

CM: But shouldn’t a president or any politician have strong moral fibre? Are you seeing that in Donald Trump?

DF: Well he does have strong morale fibre –

CM: He’s a misogynist. He’s always slamming women!

DF: No, he’s not always slamming women. If you look at the events he’s at there’s a lot of women there. I went home. I have four girls and my wife. So I have five women. I asked them, “Does this bother you what happened eleven years ago?” And all of them – I didn’t coerce them or anything – they all said, “We care about the taxes. We care about our business taxes going up under President Obama. We need more stability. So it’s about the bottom line. Great jobs.

CM: So are you saying the wallet, the bottom line, trumps anything even whether or not he sexually abused women over the years, including allegations of a 13-year-old girl? Is the bottom line and the wallet more important than that?

DF: It’s inexcusable. But if you want to talk about 13-year-old girls let’s talk about Hillary Clinton again protecting a pedophile that went after a 13-year-old girl and then she started to mock this 13-year-old girl which I think is disgusting. So do you have two great candidates? No. Do I think Donald Trump can run the country a lot better and get along with other countries like Russia? Absolutely he can do a better job. He can create a stimulus. He can lower taxes. Right now in the United States the corporate tax is 7-8% higher than in Canada. What he’s proposing is to lower the corporate tax down to 15 per cent, create new jobs, stimulate the economy. And that’s what it comes down to. Creating jobs. (11 22 28) You look at inner cities for example. I spend a lot of time in Chicago. A lot of Canadians. I can bring them to different parts of Chicago, drop them off at 11’o clock at night and there’s a good chance you might not see tha tperson again. We have to create jobs, put money into the taxpayer’s pocket and Hillary Clinton has not shown that she is competent to be President of the United States.

CM: What is it about donald Trump and Rob Ford that they inspire the populist vote? That they capture that in a way that politicians envy?

DF: Well the average politican speaks out of both sides of their mouth. No matter if it’s here or the United States. And it’s all three levels of government here and all parties. They act one way in front of the people and they think people are stupid and they can blow smoke where the sun doesn’t shine for these people. And people don’t buy it anymore. You look around the world. Look at the vote over in England, or in the UK. The people spoke up. You look over in the Phillipines, you look at Iceland, you look at Rob Ford, you look at Donald Trump. Look up Bernie Sanders. People are just fed up with these politicans that get up there, promise something, don’t commit to their promises after they get elected. And it’s all about – you know what it’s all about? Filling their buddies’ pockets full of money, sole-sourced deals, giving contracts. It’s all about the money. No one can buy Donald Trump. And everyone knows that.

CM: Back to his character. You’ve said it yourself, you have daughters.

DF: Yes.

CM: Would you be comfortable with one of your daughters being alone in a room with him?

DF: I would be. Absolutely I would be.

CF: Despite all these allegations?

DF: Absolutely. Donald Trump hires a lot of women out there, he respects women. Would his daughters feel comfortable? Would his wife feel comfortable? See you’re targeting – would I feel comfortable with Hillary Clinton taking care of my money down there? That I pay the taxes, corporate taxes down there? I wouldn’t feel comfortable at all. They’ve just continuously spent money and people are up to here with it.

CM: OK but isn’t your daughter more important than money? Do you really think that he respects women?

DF: Absolutely he respects women. There’s millions of women that have voted for him. So all those millions of women are dumb? I don’t think so. There’s a lot of smart women I’ve talked to down in the US that support him 100%. I just got off the phone with one of my account executives in New Jersey. Female. I have another female that runs my New Jersey facility. She just said, this is a bunch of nonsense. I support Donald Trump 100%. She’s a very bright, educated woman.

CM: Interesting.

DF: That’s just the way it is. The media’s playing this up. And I find it hypocritical. The so-called righteous hypocritical politicans, they’re coming out holier than thou? I can assure you as a guy, you’re in a locker room. And I’ve talked to a lot of guys no matter what level they are, if they’re in a lead, an establishment. Some nonsense gets talked about. It’s nonsense. It’s garbage. It’s locker room garbage. I don’t condone it but it happens. But to get this pulled out? And again, she’s a hypocrite. The reason she’s a hypocrite – look at Bill Clinton. They’re lined up from here to Timbuktu and she turned a blind eye because that was her ladder to become president. That’s really what it comes down to. I find it hypocritical. If Bill Clinton was an angel, maybe she has a foot to stand on. She knew what was going on. So that’s the hypocrisy at his best. What he said? Bill Clinton did. That’s the difference.

the ford family, folks.

And all of them – I didn’t coerce them or anything – they all said, “We care about the taxes. We care about our business taxes going up under President Obama. We need more stability. So it’s about the bottom line. Great jobs.

I like that he makes a point of saying he didn't coerce the women in his family to say this.

And he keeps saying what Trump said was "inexcusable" and he doesn't condone it...and yet...

The whole "she defended a pedophilie" line is just baffling.

I mean... paedophiles,sexual abusers, and those who turn a blind eye to said abuse occupy a special part of the hell that I don't believe in.

But it's still America... everyone is still afforded the right to an attorney under the law, and she was a public defender assigned to the case. It's not as if she volunteered for the case.

rob ford's nephew mike just recently won the byelection for rob's old seat by a landslide. he's every bit as stupid as rob, with zero of the charisma.

and doug has mentioned running for the leadership of the conservative party several times, both on the ontario provincial level, and the national level.

anyone still wanna come here if trump wins? :|

So Trump defended himself against the People Magazine writer today but attacking the writer's looks, which is what everyone is harping on today.

One issue... he said that area which it supposedly happened is a public area.

Except the writer of the article didn't mention what room it was. Only that it was "tremendous."

Yea. He can't even lie well.

rob ford's nephew mike just recently won the byelection for rob's old seat by a landslide. he's every bit as stupid as rob, with zero of the charisma.

and doug has mentioned running for the leadership of the conservative party several times, both on the ontario provincial level, and the national level.

anyone still wanna come here if trump wins? :|

Not to get too far off topic, but the nephew seems to be more on the ball than his uncles - he seems aware of environmental concerns, and seems to be supportive of the LGBT community. For a kid from a family as fucked up as that, that's doing well. Or maybe they've set the bar so low, I have no sense of perspective, anymore.

On the other hand, Doug can rot. He is the most despicable of them, Rob included.

Hillary 2008 was a much better candidate, an ok Senator and no failures at Sec of State, no Benghazi, no email scandals, no FBI investigations, no deleted and scrubbed servers after a subpoena, no Clinton foundation pay to play questions, I was actually a strong supporter of her in the primaries, I was tired of the GOP and W was the worst president ever. So the Dems had a clear path and I was all in for Hillary

but in here, I had to listen to these kind of things being said about her

I can explain how I went from a supporter to someone that has lost confidence in her based upon what she has done from 2008 until now.

How can people that said she was the worst in 2008 now say she is great??

I will say back in 2008 here in FYM, it was you, me and at least one other regular supporting HRC against the entire forum of Obamaniacs and GOP supporters.

I think age, growth, and personal experience moves a lot of thoughtful (read: those continuing to evolve personally) Leftists closer to the center. Or also Obama's coming out of the closet as something similar to what they all feared HRC was (and is, more centrist). You start to become more pragmatic and your fantastical idealism begins to die its natural death. And at that point, she was an easy choice over Bernie. And obviously she's beyond an easy choice right now.

I don't think it's hypocritical at all and believe me, I loathe hypocrisy. And I don't see anyone saying she's great. She's entirely competent, known, and will be good enough. Especially when the alternative would be an absolute catastrophe.

In particular the nature of the discussion on taxes and minimum wage laws that took place here many month ago - would not have happened here in 2008. They would have been a one-sided affair the other way. As it would have been about four of us making the arguments that everyone makes today (more pragmatic, more to the center of the economic spectrum). While most everyone else would have been much further on the Left and telling us why we were crazy. I mean, I'm pretty sure that happened here many times.

Maybe in 2020 we can have a real outsider candidate that's not batshit, that can speak to campaign finance reform in a way that no Democrat or Republican can.

I will say back in 2008 here in FYM, it was you, me and at least one other regular supporting HRC against the entire forum of Obamaniacs and GOP supporters.

I think age, growth, and personal experience moves a lot of thoughtful (read: those continuing to evolve personally) Leftists closer to the center. Or also Obama's coming out of the closet as something similar to what they all feared HRC was (and is, more centrist). You start to become more pragmatic and your fantastical idealism begins to die its natural death. And at that point, she was an easy choice over Bernie. And obviously she's beyond an easy choice right now.

I don't think it's hypocritical at all and believe me, I loathe hypocrisy. And I don't see anyone saying she's great. She's entirely competent, known, and will be good enough. Especially when the alternative would be an absolute catastrophe.

In particular the nature of the discussion on taxes and minimum wage laws that took place here many month ago - would not have happened here in 2008. They would have been a one-sided affair the other way. As it would have been about four of us making the arguments that everyone makes today (more pragmatic, more to the center of the economic spectrum). While most everyone else would have been much further on the Left and telling us why we were crazy. I mean, I'm pretty sure that happened here many times.

Maybe in 2020 we can have a real outsider candidate that's not batshit, that can speak to campaign finance reform in a way that no Democrat or Republican can.

I don't know about the way you're framing this - that leftism is only for the young and once one grows up and matures they will inevitably become more centrist. It sounds like that famous quote, that young conservative has no heart and an old liberal has no brain.

I was an Obama supporter in 2008(and 2012 and now and every moment between), and started as a Bernie supporter in this year's primary. I support the ideas he was talking about - universal healthcare, free tuition for public colleges, raising the federal minimum wage, etc - but I ultimately migrated over to Hillary, not because of any ideological shift, but because I recognized that it wasn't politically possible for Bernie's ideas to become reality given the congress he'd have to work with(though some are now suggesting that Trump is so bad we could even take the House back...) and that he didn't seem to have any kind of contingency plan beyond that. And also because of his total disinterest in foreign affairs.

My shift wasn't about ideology or left or center, it was about qualification and preparedness for the job. I love Bernie, but I don't think he was ready for the reality of being president, certainly not to the extent Hillary is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom