2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dontgrabmykitty.jpg

Oh oh oh, is there a list? I was looking for it to enjoy my dinner with once I saw Arnold backed down, but I couldn't seem to find a nice juicy list.
Sen. Mark Kirk (Ill.)
Sen. Mike Lee (Utah)
Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.)
Sen. Ben Sasse (Neb.)
Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.)
Sen. Mike Crapo (Idaho)
Sen. John Thune (S.D.)
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
Sen. Dan Sullivan (Alaska)
Sen. Susan Collins (Maine)
Sen. Deb Fischer (Neb.)
Sen. Cory Gardner (Colo.)
Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.)
Sen. John McCain (Ariz.)
Gov. Gary Herbert (Utah)
Gov. John Kasich (Ohio)
Gov. Dennis Daugaard (S.D.)
Gov. Robert Bentley (Ala.)
Gov. Brian Sandoval (Nev.)
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (Utah)
Rep. Mike Coffman (Colo.)
Rep. Barbara Comstock (Va.)
Rep. Martha Roby (Ala.)
Rep. Chris Stewart (Utah)
Rep. Carlos Curbelo (Fla.)
Rep. Bob Dold (Ill.)
Rep. Scott Garrett (N.J.)
Rep. Cresent Hardy (Nev.)
Rep. Joe Heck (Nev.)
Rep. Mia Love (Utah)
Rep. Fred Upton (Mich.)
Rep. Bradley Byrne (Ala.)
Rep. Ann Wagner (Mo.)
Rep. Rodney Davis (Ill.)
Rep. Charlie Dent (Penn.)
Rep. Frank LoBiondo (N.J.)

Better yet, we need a list of republicans who refused to endorse him from day 1.

Jebbers Bush
Georgie Bush
Georgie 2 Bush
Mittens
Ben Sasse

Am I missing anyone?

Kasich.
This almost feels like the perfect opening for Mitt. Maybe he's been running the most brilliant campaign in the history of campaigns and we don't even know it yet.
This election has been so insane and unpredictable, who even knows.

it feels like the great beast that has been terrifying the villagers for months is finally weakened from enough spears and arrows to be reduced to a dying hulk.

Kasich.
This almost feels like the perfect opening for Mitt. Maybe he's been running the most brilliant campaign in the history of campaigns and we don't even know it yet.
This election has been so insane and unpredictable, who even knows.

Oh right, Kasich. How could I forget.

I don't how how Mittens could run, exactly.

Seems the tide is finally turning. I think the problem with the Trump phenomenon is that it represents a broader feeling that career politicians are by default corrupt, and that he seemed like an "anyone else" pick. The problem with that is that politics, and especially governing are infinitely more complex than Joe Public realises, and there are some very decent, non-corrupt politicians out there. The Australian senate has shown us that old mates who get in off the back of an "anyone else" pick tend to fuck things up completely, and they have no political savvy to actually get anything done.

That, and the fact that Trump is a walking embodiment of actual corruption, sexual deviance, misogyny, incompetence, racism, bigotry, and just general fuckery that he should be reprehensible to almost all of his supporters, but it gets to the point where he could shit on an American flag on stage and he'd be rewarded for his bravery. People are fucking dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh right, Kasich. How could I forget.

I don't how how Mittens could run, exactly.

If Trump won't quit, the only way for him to run would be as an independent. Then the question is, could he win? Ordinarily, you couldn't run a four-week presidential campaign in the U.S. and expect to have any chance, but this is a guy who was the nominee four years ago, he was already publicly vetted throughout a two-year cycle. People already know what they need to know about him.

Still, I think the best he could do in four weeks is to peel off enough disaffected Republicans who were going to sit it out, Republicans who were only going to vote for Trump because of the R and how much they think Hillary is the devil, and Republicans/conservative-leaning Independents who were going to vote for Hillary because Trump, and Johnson supporters, to end up in something akin to a three-way tie. And then who the hell knows what happens when any of them are elected with thirty-some percent of the vote.

But even that seems unlikely. I just don't know if the never-Trumpers are a big enough faction of Hillary's voters to drag her percentage down that much, to keep her from winning if they left her.

This is all academic though, I highly doubt anyone is going to enter the race at this point.

If Trump won't quit, the only way for him to run would be as an independent. Then the question is, could he win? Ordinarily, you couldn't run a four-week presidential campaign in the U.S. and expect to have any chance, but this is a guy who was the nominee four years ago, he was already publicly vetted throughout a two-year cycle. People already know what they need to know about him.

Still, I think the best he could do in four weeks is to peel off enough disaffected Republicans who were going to sit it out, Republicans who were only going to vote for Trump because of the R and how much they think Hillary is the devil, and Republicans/conservative-leaning Independents who were going to vote for Hillary because Trump, and Johnson supporters, to end up in something akin to a three-way tie. And then who the hell knows what happens when any of them are elected with thirty-some percent of the vote.

But even that seems unlikely. I just don't know if the never-Trumpers are a big enough faction of Hillary's voters to drag her percentage down that much, to keep her from winning if they left her.

This is all academic though, I highly doubt anyone is going to enter the race at this point.

You need to back up like 20 steps and remember... ballot access is done. Independents can't get on the ballots in virtually any of the states at this point. You're talking about a *write-in* Romney.

The only choices we have on every state are republican, democrat, libertarian, and I think green but not entirely sure.

The only way anyone walks into the race is if Trump steps down.

You're both right, totally forgot about that.

Probably a good rule, so people can't just decide to run at the last minute.

And write-ins don't count in most states unless they register as a write-in beforehand. I'm sure that window has closed.

The Republicans are stuck with the spawn of the demon seed they planted when a colored man was elected president.

Those Republicans that have rescinded their endorsements can go fuck themselves for even endorsing him in the first place. It took them THIS LONG to figure out what was going on?

I mean, it should be clear that they are simply jumping off a sinking ship. It's not about being morally outraged at anything he said. Many were probably planning on distancing themselves from Trump anyway if he had a poor showing. Purely tactical behavior. These are still the same assholes that found a way to support an unambiguously racist, xenophobic and misogynist candidate.

Surely we're at a point now where voters have a preferred candidate locked in their minds? Both candidates still seem ideologically poles apart enough for me. I can't imagine a politically-engaged individual switching from one to the other at this late stage.

Surely it's now.. Are you passionate enough about Clinton/Trump to go out and vote for one or the other in November?

The politics of smear (amplified by the media) have never been so prevalent in the past two months. It's pathetic to watch. Please let it be time for both candidates to go back to articulating why the very effort of voting for them is worth it?

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Early voting ballots have already been out for a week in many states (I got mine on Monday). They can replace Trump, but it's just too late at this point to salvage the election. They made their bed a long time ago, and now they get to lie in it.

I mean, it should be clear that they are simply jumping off a sinking ship. It's not about being morally outraged at anything he said. Many were probably planning on distancing themselves from Trump anyway if he had a poor showing. Purely tactical behavior. These are still the same assholes that found a way to support an unambiguously racist, xenophobic and misogynist candidate.

Mmhm. They're hoping it'll make them look good for any future elections-"I stood up against Trump when it mattered." or some such BS like that. Problem for them is that all people will have to do is go back to the TV appearances or tweets or quotes in papers or whatever where these candidates endorsed Trump to prove they're lying and full of it, and ask why it took so long for them to break from him, considering all the shitty things he said and did prior to them FINALLY pulling their support.

The bottom line is that the GOP won't be able to win either way here. Whatever their reasons for distancing themselves from Trump, those that do so will lose support from Trump voters.

And meanwhile, politicians who continue to support Trump and stand by him will lose support from people who don't like him and aren't voting for him. The party's really written themselves into a nasty little corner no matter what they do, and they really have nobody else but themselves to blame for the mess they've made of their party.

Finally read the transcript of what he said... I'm not at angry as I was expecting to be. Male bullshit. Nothing as shocking as was made out. Maybe the days of hearing about it desensitized me to what he actually says, Idk.

I don't understand this. As has been mentioned, he's not just trash talking about vulgar things he would like to do; he is describing things he has actually DONE.

If anybody I knew said this, I would keep talking to them only so long as necessary to get enough details to report them for sexual assault.

I don't feel shock at anything Trump says, he could call for an extermination of an entire people and that wouldn't shock me in the least. It's becoming clear that he's capitulating at this point but even then there's little reason to feel any hint of positive thought for the future.

I don't understand this. As has been mentioned, he's not just trash talking about vulgar things he would like to do; he is describing things he has actually DONE.

If anybody I knew said this, I would keep talking to them only so long as necessary to get enough details to report them for sexual assault.

I'm pretty sure she's just saying she's not surprised. Not that it's not a big deal.

Anyways, queue bad media hopping on this.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1475971932.106981.jpg

Trump is a total scumbag, obviously, but go listen to the actual tape with Howard Stern. Trump is pretty much ignoring Stern as he's talking about how smart his daughter is in that interview. Don't get me wrong, he should be mad when Stern says that, but this is not what's being advertised. I wish we could just stick to with the Trump-Billy Bush tape and its damningness.

I can't justify voting for this guy and being okay with this behavior. Disgusting and his "apology" video was disgraceful. Man up and take some personal responsibility! Tells me that his man has no leadership. This country is desperate for leadership!
This goes a lot deeper than just a "locker room language" cop out. Because if he's being lumped in with the type of guys who talk like that in a locker room, he's a real POS.
Hopefully he drops out and let's someone like Romney or Kasich take the nomination.

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom