2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not unpreparedness. He doesn't want to be president. He never did. The only real question is whether he will win despite this state of affairs (my instinct still says probably not). In either case, it's game over for the Republican Party as presently constituted.

So true. I've said this from the primaries. He wants to "win" NOT be president. At all. I believe it terrifies him.

Clinton being a mass murderer is now settled theory in these circles.

She's probably the most notorious serial killer in the world m,and gotten away with one of the biggest mass killing in world history, but she's just a dumb bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Cool chart from 538 on pre and post debate polling of swing states.

silver-election-update-1003.png

I'll never understand how someone can watch these two debate and actually have their opinions change.

I can't fathom watching the debate and being like "well, that Trump sure was convincing!"

While the way he phrased it isn't as direct as the headlines suggest. Think about this. Say you were a vet with PTSD, or the thousands of families with children or husbands or wives with PTSD. And this draft-dodger comes out and says, You all see a lot of bad things, but if you're strong enough you can handle it.
Isn't your first thought - this guy is saying its my fault for suffering from PTSD because i'm too weak to handle it?

Trump uses this tactic all the time. He phrases it just around the edges enough where he can claim he didn't mean it, but it's pretty clear.

I can't agree with this, or any interpretation that says he was attempting to hurt anyone. What he said is true, and is a sad state if affairs.

I still despise the guy, but I'm not going to rake him over the goals for shoddy journalism and click bait headlines. It lets him climb up on his cross, and I'm not going to help him attach himself to it.

I'll never understand how someone can watch these two debate and actually have their opinions change.

I can't fathom watching the debate and being like "well, that Trump sure was convincing!"

I like that Ohio absolutely doubled down after it, even.

Big reveal! October surprise!

when Assange finally appeared, looking a little like Max Headroom against his green screen backdrop, he didn’t have much to reveal. And so, Trump lovers and truth enthusiasts everywhere were told something with the power to change the course of the U.S. presidential election, and indeed, the very fate of the American project itself, forever: Books published by Wikileaks are now 40 percent off!

Wow! I didn't know they published books! This changes EVERYTHING!

I can't agree with this, or any interpretation that says he was attempting to hurt anyone. What he said is true, and is a sad state if affairs.

I still despise the guy, but I'm not going to rake him over the goals for shoddy journalism and click bait headlines. It lets him climb up on his cross, and I'm not going to help him attach himself to it.

I understand where you're coming from, but it gets to a deeper point of his entire personality and thought process.
Every rally, the debate, he gives no specifics except, we're going to get tough folks. I'm going to do it with strength. I'm strong on this or that...
Hillary is weak and doesn't have stamina, blah blah... Putin is a strong leader, Kim Jong Un is admirable because of how he "took control"

While i don't think he conciously was trying to say what he ended up implying, I really don't think you can argue that the flip side of his statement does in effect mean "weak" people are the ones that get PTSD because they can't handle it.
It just shows a horrible misunderstanding of PTSD and mental trauma in general.
I agree this one should not be that big of a deal, and it won't be because he'll say something more stupid in a few hours and the media will move on.
But i do think that it solidifies his bizarre mentality and over-compensation.

Does anybody else find Gary Johnson legitimately hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just to add to what I was saying earlier about Trump's statement on PTSD.

Interestingly, Obama just talked about this 5 days ago. And this is how it should be addressed.

"And, you know, sometimes the weight of battle comes home," Obama said.
That "weight" is reflected in the high rate of suicide among U.S. veterans. About 20 veterans a day commit suicide, a recent Veterans Affairs study found.

Suicides, in case you weren't aware, have been on the uptick over the past decade and a half, increasing 24 percent from 1999 through 2014, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2014, more than 7,400 vets — about 18 percent of all suicides that year — took their lives.

"This is something we just have to talk about more," Obama told Amanda Souza before outlining steps he's taking — or that need to be taken — to combat it.

"The first is I have instructed the Joint Chiefs and up and down the chain of command that they have a responsibility to de-stigmatize mental health issues and issues of PTSD and help to explain to everybody in all of the units under their command that there's nothing weak about asking for help," he said.

Obama said that mental illness, much like a "broken leg" or physical injury, can't be ignored.
"If, as a consequence of the extraordinary stress and pain that you are witnessing, typically, in a battlefield, something inside you feels like it's wounded, it's just like a physical injury. You've got to get help."

Don't forget the emails!1!1

Lier!!

i shudder to think of the dark times that await the nation the first time a liar is elected president.

voting for someone who has told a lie in their past is truly unconscionable. since, as we all know, such a thing should mean immediate disqualification.

rip in peace ben gauzy

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from, but it gets to a deeper point of his entire personality and thought process.
Every rally, the debate, he gives no specifics except, we're going to get tough folks. I'm going to do it with strength. I'm strong on this or that...
Hillary is weak and doesn't have stamina, blah blah... Putin is a strong leader, Kim Jong Un is admirable because of how he "took control"

While i don't think he conciously was trying to say what he ended up implying, I really don't think you can argue that the flip side of his statement does in effect mean "weak" people are the ones that get PTSD because they can't handle it.
It just shows a horrible misunderstanding of PTSD and mental trauma in general.
I agree this one should not be that big of a deal, and it won't be because he'll say something more stupid in a few hours and the media will move on.
But i do think that it solidifies his bizarre mentality and over-compensation.

The quote that I've seen:

“When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat — and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said.

He doesn't say that people with PTSD are the ones who commit suicide. He says those who can't handle the PTSD are. Which is... Factual? I don't know what else you would describe that as.

Anyways, I'm done defending trump, I feel icky enough as it is.

oh he definitely said that veterans who commit suicide are weak.

but it was still just a brain fart rather than a slur.

"Guccifer 2.0 also released a long list of Clinton Foundation donors, including the contact information of prolific billionaire donor Haim Saban, and actors Barbara Streisand, Rob Reiner, Steven Spielberg, Linda Cardellini and Mike O’Malley."

Mike O'Malley being included on this list cracks me up.

Reminder that Mike Pence is a massive piece of shit who would seem like an extremist nightmare if he wasn't paired up with Donald Trump.

Yeah, that's one of the things I kept thinking about when there was all the hullabaloo over Clinton and Trump's health a while back. If, God forbid, something happened to either of them, I could easily deal with a Tim Kaine presidency. Pence, on the other hand...

I've heard about Mike Pence, but I haven't yet actually heard him talk, that I can recall. So this debate will be interesting for me on that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom