2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And his supporters have paid more taxes that he has.

Yet they will still somehow claim that he's going to rescue the middle class.

That is the part that just blows my mind. There was just an article in the Des Moines Register today about rural Iowans who are planning on supporting Trump, and their belief that he could help fix the economy was a big reason among them. They're all living in small towns that got hit hard in recent years by the recession and other issues, and yet they somehow honestly believe Trump will help restore their small towns to better economic days

I just...I cannot fathom that line of thinking. I cannot understand how anyone can look at Trump and think, "Yep. This guy's going to help keep me financially secure."

Course, there were a few people in that article that were supporting Trump, but with "reservations", because of his big mouth constantly getting him into trouble, so... It's been very interesting tracking the political pulse of people here in my state lately.

looks like trump has finally decided now that october is here that enough is enough and he better start working real hard to make sure he doesn't get this job that he knows he can't handle and never wanted at all in the first place.

Last edited:
God I hope SNL does debate sketches after the next two. Alec Baldwin is a better Trump than any other people who've played him so far and Kate McKinnon's Clinton is brilliant.

Yeah, on reflection, this isn't worth the fuss.

On the other hand, he has not earned reasonable discussion. It's no surprise that people, me included, assume the worst with this guy.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

*gets ready to duck tomatoes* I think the latest PTSD thing is quite a beat-up if you read what he actually said.
Why should you have to duck tomatoes, like you I just went and looked at the link and watched the video and saw how everyone, including the media was off to the races, without even looking into the incident.

How is it a beat-up? He said what he said. You can't get around that.

from the context, what he said was intended as a compliment to the veterans he was speaking to. i think it was more an awkwardly fumbled rhetorical attempt at creating a superlative for his audience than anything actually offensive.

How is it a beat-up? He said what he said. You can't get around that.

The quote that I've seen:

“When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat — and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said.

Is that the one you've read? To construe that as saying that returned soldiers with PTSD are "weak" is a gigantic stretch. I read that as him being realistic; that unfortunately, a lot of veterans return from the war unable to handle things on their own. What's offensive about that? It's true. He then spoke about it - veteran suicide - being a shocking, terrible issue.

There are a million things that Trump should be criticised for, and in 10 minutes there'll be another five reasons, but this isn't one of them. It's a huge stretch to claim that what he was saying was returned soldiers with PTSD are weak.

from the context, what he said was intended as a compliment to the veterans he was speaking to. i think it was more an awkwardly fumbled rhetorical attempt at creating a superlative for his audience than anything actually offensive.

:up:

Yeah this one seems trumped up.

And trickled-down.

The quote that I've seen:

“When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat — and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said.

Is that the one you've read? To construe that as saying that returned soldiers with PTSD are "weak" is a gigantic stretch. I read that as him being realistic; that unfortunately, a lot of veterans return from the war unable to handle things on their own. What's offensive about that? It's true. He then spoke about it - veteran suicide - being a shocking, terrible issue.

I suppose I'd agree with Dave that it's a rhetorical fumble, but we know that Trump is derisive of anything he doesn't see as strong, tough, "great", whatever. Everything he's done to date make the most obvious interpretation that of condescension and disdain.

I suppose I'd agree with Dave that it's a rhetorical fumble, but we know that Trump is derisive of anything he doesn't see as strong, tough, "great", whatever. Everything he's done to date make the most obvious interpretation that of condescension and disdain.

I agree totally - and I reckon privately he would say the same - I just think in this instance it's a bit of a stretch and a waste of breath when there's so many other things he says that are fucked up.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yippee!!! Surprise is coming!

Wikileaks?
Flesh eating virus?
Or an illuminati baby with Kanye West?

It's like Christmas came early this year, I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Roger Stone, serial liar and fellow conspiracy theory loon with Alex Jones, has been hinting that wikileaks is going to drop something big this week. Granted, this is the man who swears that Clinton was wearing an earpiece in the debate because she was just too prepared, you know?

Though there are also rumors that the "big" wikileaks scoop has been postponed since it would probably be overshadowed this week by Trump's taxes.

Haha that's good.

This is extremely long but very clever and the parodies of Trump and Sanders by two comedians I don't know is very good, even better than Baldwin and McKinnon.

For a shorter clip, this is utterly brilliant:

*gets ready to duck tomatoes* I think the latest PTSD thing is quite a beat-up if you read what he actually said.

True. But the thing that surprises me (still) is how unprepared he seems to be to run for president of the USA. He should know by now that everything a presidential candidate (or even just a politician) says is weighed on a scale like gold. So don't try to stumble in such a way when talking about subjects. Especially as he already has a history with negative comments regarding veterans (his comments about senator McCain being an ex-POW).

Same unpreparedness applies to his tax returns. If you know you want to run for president, get your taxes in order. You can't change your past returns, but he should have gotten at least 2014 and 2015 in order. Just to release those two and get rid of the constant hammering on your tax requests. But no, he probably hadn't thought about that.

It's not unpreparedness. He doesn't want to be president. He never did. The only real question is whether he will win despite this state of affairs (my instinct still says probably not). In either case, it's game over for the Republican Party as presently constituted.

Yeah, on reflection, this isn't worth the fuss.

On the other hand, he has not earned reasonable discussion. It's no surprise that people, me included, assume the worst with this guy.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

While the way he phrased it isn't as direct as the headlines suggest. Think about this. Say you were a vet with PTSD, or the thousands of families with children or husbands or wives with PTSD. And this draft-dodger comes out and says, You all see a lot of bad things, but if you're strong enough you can handle it.
Isn't your first thought - this guy is saying its my fault for suffering from PTSD because i'm too weak to handle it?

Trump uses this tactic all the time. He phrases it just around the edges enough where he can claim he didn't mean it, but it's pretty clear.

Roger Stone, serial liar and fellow conspiracy theory loon with Alex Jones, has been hinting that wikileaks is going to drop something big this week. Granted, this is the man who swears that Clinton was wearing an earpiece in the debate because she was just too prepared, you know?

Though there are also rumors that the "big" wikileaks scoop has been postponed since it would probably be overshadowed this week by Trump's taxes.

Yes, Assange keeps "postponing" the big reveal. The latest, he is citing "security concerns" which of course is just a play to the delusional that Clinton of course has threatened to have him killed. Clinton being a mass murderer is now settled theory in these circles.

I'm sure he has more to release, but isn't this all DNC stuff?? Kinda past the expiration date to have much punch now.

Anyway, at this point its very unclear as to whether he has anything at all, or if he thinks by teasing it out over months that it just lets people imagine the worst and leaves it at that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom