2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just too early, but media focus is on right now....and then now....and then now.

Trump is an idiot. He's made his money, but do you REALLY feel comfortable with him handling extremely classified information?

I get he's an outsider, but what scares me the most is his lack of knowledge in any form of governance. He can say the most racist, sexist shit ever....that's all it is.

My fear is him near any sort of button to launch war/bombs

He's made his money, but do you REALLY feel comfortable with him handling extremely classified information?

We're free to question that of Trump.

But Mrs. Clinton really doesn't have a leg to stand on there.

We're free to question that of Trump.

But Mrs. Clinton really doesn't have a leg to stand on there.

Because she did what every SOS has done since the use of email?

Chase the white rabbit, chase it, chase it... Oh, you almost got it, you're gonna have to be quicker than that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I get he's an outsider, but what scares me the most is his lack of knowledge in any form of governance. He can say the most racist, sexist shit ever....that's all it is.

Same. And the type of voter base he's stirred up has me deeply concerned, too. Even if people think his whole thing is an act, even if they're certain he won't follow through with most of what he says he will...he's riled up a portion of the country who genuinely thinks the things he says and suggests are GOOD ideas, and things that should happen in this country. And that frightens me deeply.

It is an act, and possibly a joke that has gone too far. But Trump's ego is gonna take this the whole way.

He has no law experience, no governing experience. He's a businessman, and it could be argued if he's a good/bad one. He definitely had a head-start with his family name.

He would be an absolute disaster.

And honestly any attacks on Hillary as "crooked", or her email scandal is just tiring. I fully admit I don't find her a likable person. Perception is that she seems very hawkish, a GOP light. I have no issue attacking her policies. But I lose all interest when the conversation turns to "THE MOST CROOKED POLITICIAN OF THEM ALL!!!", "MOST DISHONEST OF ALL TIME!!!", etc

I actually feel for her a bit, considering she (and Bill) have been attacked by the Right for nearly 30 years straight (and now the attacks seem to come from the Left). Yet all these scandals, all these problems brought up by the GOP have amounted to nothing. Either they have the greatest lawyers in the history of law, or there was never real evidence against them.

You see these other scandals against candidates (both Right and Left) end their careers, or they drop out of the spotlight for a while. Never happened with Clinton. Still going strong. That's one heck of a power she's got, or it's just complete bullshit.

Let's see what else the Right tries to throw at her after June.

Hillary is a known quantity
crook-ed, everybody knows it, they only argue the degree

So is Trump?! Have you not been paying attention?

He's a lying, loose cannon, who's crooked as fuck.

How can anyone pretend he's not a known quantity? Has he taken you all down the same wormhole?

Perception is that she seems very hawkish, a GOP light. I have no issue attacking her policies. But I lose all interest when the conversation turns to "THE MOST CROOKED POLITICIAN OF THEM ALL!!!", "MOST DISHONEST OF ALL TIME!!!", etc

YES. Completely agreed with this.

And I have to laugh at anyone who claims they won't vote for Hilary because she's dishonest and crooked and then turns right around and votes for Trump. Sort of like when I hear Republicans complain so much about Obama being more of a celebrity than a politician...and all the while their party still fawns over Reagan (a Hollywood actor), had Schwartzenegger as governor of California, and now has Trump and his three-ring celebrity circus in their ranks. Just hard to take their complaints all that seriously at that point.

Warning signs for Hillary in the General

From Powerline

Bernie Sanders has beaten Hillary in West Virginia, which is no great surprise. What ought to have Hillary and the DNC looking nervously over at the panic button is the exit poll finding that 44 percent of Bernie voters say they will vote for Trump if Bernie is not the nominee.

The Clintons—Bill anyway—are supposed to be skilled at “triangulation.” But guess who’s triangulating circles around Hillary right now? She could Feel the Bern twice this year

Warning signs for Hillary in the General

From Powerline
Bernie Sanders has beaten Hillary in West Virginia, which is no great surprise. What ought to have Hillary and the DNC looking nervously over at the panic button is the exit poll finding that 44 percent of Bernie voters say they will vote for Trump if Bernie is not the nominee.

I'm not sure if this exit poll finding from West Virginia is a warning sign for Hillary in the general election. With her support for clean energy (and determination to phase out coal) she's not liked in WV. So that's one of the reasons Bernie won the primary there.
As The Donald is not a supporter of clean energy (I haven't seen any support from him for it at least) he'd attract quite a few of these people who are currently dependent on coal mining.

I can't wait till this election is over. I feel like this election has brought the worst out in people, more so than any recent election.

We have supposed principled progressives saying they'll vote for an authoritarian douchebag.

Supposed principled conservatives showing us they're just angry hypocrites.

Those that I would have considered logical just a few months ago are spinning off the rails and talking about how Trump will make this an armed Christian nation again.

And those I considered crazy a few months ago are now the batshit insane talking about Obama putting in martial law and that the Pope and bathroom laws are the sign we're at the end of times and we'll never see another president.

Idiocracy 2017, yay :|

I can't wait till this election is over. I feel like this election has brought the worst out in people, more so than any recent election.

We have supposed principled progressives saying they'll vote for an authoritarian douchebag.

Supposed principled conservatives showing us they're just angry hypocrites.

Those that I would have considered logical just a few months ago are spinning off the rails and talking about how Trump will make this an armed Christian nation again.

And those I considered crazy a few months ago are now the batshit insane talking about Obama putting in martial law and that the Pope and bathroom laws are the sign we're at the end of times and we'll never see another president.

Idiocracy 2017, yay :|

Its amazing, we had like 69 total candidates from both parties and honestly I can't find one I could feel good about backing. These schmoos are the best candidates the 2 parties can produce to run our country? We're completely F'ed.

If only John Edwards would have ran, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Its amazing, we had like 69 total candidates from both parties and honestly I can't find one I could feel good about backing. These schmoos are the best candidates the 2 parties can produce to run our country? We're completely F'ed.

This

Previously, I scoffed at the notion that there was as much crossover between the Sanders and Trump camps, but even I have to admit I was wrong. I, like probably many of us, was thinking of myself and like-minded people, because I managed to fall into the trap of believing that Sanders' voter base was 20-somethings who are pissed about income inequality. While that is a sizable and not inconsequential base (one that I've noticed many of Clinton's media supporters love to yell "WE DON'T NEED YOUR VOTE" at, but I digress) we're all forgetting about constituencies like West Virginia. Like this absolute piece of shit article that treats everyone in that state, and others who have suffered immensely from economic downturn in small town America, as if they are totally irrelevant. Desperation is very real, but that makes for uncomfortable realities, especially for the pundits who make their living reporting on the election game. So let's just call them disgruntled white men and move on! There is no other possible way they would show the voting habits that they have shown.

This isn't meant to support the "Bernie or Bust" movement, which is absurd and not something I am apart of. But acting like there are only four or five neat little boxes to pile the electorate into has gotten us in a whole lot of trouble before. And let's be clear: Clinton has not shown once to have a good understanding of voters. The Dems can very well still blow this election, and if they do it will be because they have shown to be wholly incompetent.

Previously, I scoffed at the notion that there was as much crossover between the Sanders and Trump camps, but even I have to admit I was wrong. I, like probably many of us, was thinking of myself and like-minded people, because I managed to fall into the trap of believing that Sanders' voter base was 20-somethings who are pissed about income inequality. While that is a sizable and not inconsequential base (one that I've noticed many of Clinton's media supporters love to yell "WE DON'T NEED YOUR VOTE" at, but I digress) we're all forgetting about constituencies like West Virginia. Like this absolute piece of shit article that treats everyone in that state, and others who have suffered immensely from economic downturn in small town America, as if they are totally irrelevant. Desperation is very real, but that makes for uncomfortable realities, especially for the pundits who make their living reporting on the election game. So let's just call them disgruntled white men and move on! There is no other possible way they would show the voting habits that they have shown.

This isn't meant to support the "Bernie or Bust" movement, which is absurd and not something I am apart of. But acting like there are only four or five neat little boxes to pile the electorate into has gotten us in a whole lot of trouble before. And let's be clear: Clinton has not shown once to have a good understanding of voters. The Dems can very well still blow this election, and if they do it will be because they have shown to be wholly incompetent.

I'm still of the camp that there can't be that much crossover. I mean a true progressive would never vote for Trump. But we have seen some "progressives" this cycle that are still entrenched in misogyny and racism.

But I think at the end of the day what we're seeing is that there's a huge portion of the electorate that despite their claims(the tea party last election and Sanders voters this time around) they are not voting on principles. These are these dangerous folks that will hand our country over to Trump and watch it burn.

My entire point was that trying to figure out who is a "true progressive" and who is not is a rather counter-productive exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom