2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a superficial note, can I talk about how much I hate Hillary's stylist? So many people already perceive her as being somewhat akin to a villain out of a dystopian youth novel and then they dress her in these awful trenchcoats and looong suit jacket coats constantly that she really fits that description. It's awful.

On a superficial note, can I talk about how much I hate Hillary's stylist? So many people already perceive her as being somewhat akin to a villain out of a dystopian youth novel and then they dress her in these awful trenchcoats and looong suit jacket coats constantly that she really fits that description. It's awful.

Can you imagine how the media etc. would react to her (or any women) if she presented herself with Bernie's scruffiness, though?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Can you imagine how the media etc. would react to her (or any women) if she presented herself with Bernie's scruffiness, though?

Impossible, she wouldn't have even been elected dog catcher in that case.

Being a woman in politics must really blow a lot of the time.

He totally looks like a mad scientist. I think the media just didn't react to him because he wasn't really seen as a legitimate threat for a very long time and by then he was already seen as crazy grandpa.

To be fair, a number of the men in this election season have been lambasted for their appearance much more than Hillary has. The orangutan Trump, Chris Christie and his many bags of M&Ms, Ted Cruz looking like a rapist/serial killer, etc. I guess you can argue if a woman looked like Trump she'd never be where he is, but then I'm still shocked HE is where he is so there's that.

Unless I missed it, I really believe that Bernie could actually gain some brownie points with the general public if he told some of his supporters that throwing dollar bills at Hillary is completely immature and that they need to act with more class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Throwing dollar bills at Hillary - or even Trump for that matter is pretty apt.

Throwing dollar bills at Trump is quite literally tossing good money after bad.

wait so number of political parties works in the opposite way of 2nd law of thermodynamics?

It basically means that single-member, winner take all systems lead to two parties, while the European model of proportional representation leads to multiple parties.

Throwing dollar bills at Hillary - or even Trump for that matter is pretty apt.

The money in U.S. politics is no doubt the great corrupter, it is undeniably THE problem. But what's so fitting about what you said is how it underscores the vast ignorance all around.

HRC gets the vast majority of her money from entities and people that have plenty of it to spend. Her fundraiser with Clooney primarily brought in dollars for congressional races, so that the Dems can capture the Senate, so that they can, (among other things) get a liberal supreme court justice through a Dem-controlled Senate so that they can eventually overturn Citizens United. And if she weren't doing so, later the Dems would effectively be bringing what amounts to a knife to a gun fight. Great plan Lefties!

But of course, Bernie gets his money from average people who most often don't have lots of it to spend. But all the same, some of them (though indicative of a larger mindset) will throw it away and at a Clinton motorcade passing by because of their righteous (and often ignorant) indignance. And saluted and applauded by their like-minds.

Such is the paradox that is so hard to fix. Yeah, they can spot the problem (big money getting what it wants, always, and at our expense)...but talking about the actual solution requires much more thought. We have to start with the de-emphasis of elections. Look at what Democrats and Republicans do once they're out of office. They always, always play well.

Every commission they've been on. The 9/11 commission. Simpson-Bowles. Daschle and Trent Lott recently wrote a book together. It's always bipartisan, without fail, when there are no elections involved. That is the main culprit. The need to get elected and stay elected. Thus, campaign finance. And with Citizens United the law of the land because of the sold-out-andafraid-to-legislate congress, getting a liberal justice is job #1, to 'overturn' it. Have to win in November. And it will help greatly to own the Senate in that fight. Bernie Sanders is doing little for that cause. Maybe his argument is to turn-out voters...but all the same, his supporters and some other folks should get wise to some basic facts and try to augment their cartoon-version knowledge of American politics.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic comment. I am really curious if any members of U2 contributed to the "Hillary Victory Fund" since they are pals with Billary and George and Amal. IMO, U2 or should I say Bono's social justice ideals line up more with Bernie than HRC. Bernie meeting the pope was a powerful comment on his social justice platform, the humanity, not the religion. This is what Bono preaches is it not? Part of me will be disappointed to hear they donated to the Billary fund, but another part of me will not be surprised at all.

Dear God.
I don't pray much. But please let hillary just win NY by 10 so that we can please move past all the BS.

Thank you, your annoyed, blasphemous, and very fickle friend.

Slightly off topic comment. I am really curious if any members of U2 contributed to the "Hillary Victory Fund" since they are pals with Billary and George and Amal. IMO, U2 or should I say Bono's social justice ideals line up more with Bernie than HRC. Bernie meeting the pope was a powerful comment on his social justice platform, the humanity, not the religion. This is what Bono preaches is it not? Part of me will be disappointed to hear they donated to the Billary fund, but another part of me will not be surprised at all.

I'd be surprised if they donate since Bono has taken a bipartisan approach for well over 10 years now.

Larry on the other hand, I think he swings pretty liberal if I remember correctly.

Overall I really don't give a fuck who they support. I listen to U2 because I like their music.

Pretty sure foreign donations aren't legal in elections...now, donating to the Clinton fund is certainly possible.

Younger Bono would support Bernie in a heartbeat. Modern Bono that thinks that the free market can actually help end poverty and has a history of hanging out with Bill Clinton surely wants Hillary to win this thing.

Foreign nationals can't contribute to election campaigns directly or through superpacs. The rules are very strict, you can't even so much as purchase things like buttons, t-shirts, etc sold by the campaign as it is considered to be a donation.

If you are a subsidiary of an American corporation that is a foreign sub, you can donate as the sub, but I think that's the only exception unless something has changed recently.

Bono isn't a foreign national, if we are wondering if Bono is okay/can contribute.

Permanent residents, I believe, are able to contribute.

Back
Top Bottom