2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #821
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,170
Local Time: 10:33 PM
I wanted to vote for Hillary but I'm not registered as a Democrat, and New York primaries haven't mattered in a long time.

So while I'm sure a lot of those who want to vote for Bernie are closed out, it's not as if there aren't also those who want to vote the other way who can't vote because of this idiotic time limit.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 04-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #822
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,170
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I'm sure that article has some spin to it, but I just don't care about Hillary's speeches.

It was nothing illegal, and nothing any other person of power has done before.

The problem I have is the assumption that because someone received $, that they are now bought and paid for by that entity. That Hillary will do Wall St's bidding and evil deeds.

I just don't see it being so black and white. Will some favors be returned, yes. Can we prove any of it? Most likely not.

It's the game, and it's easy to be on the outside screaming in when you refuse to do anything about it. There's a reason every president looks like they've aged 80 years after taking office....it's not a simple job, and idealogy tends to go out the window when you actually have to GOVERN
We all know Bernie is in the pocket of Big Ice Cream.

Show us the Ben and Jerry's speeches!
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #823
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
The problem I have is the assumption that because someone received $, that they are now bought and paid for by that entity. That Hillary will do Wall St's bidding and evil deeds.

I just don't see it being so black and white. Will some favors be returned, yes. Can we prove any of it? Most likely not.
Obama disagrees with you here.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #824
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I'd say while the 6 month deadline is absolutely absurd, closed primaries aren't necessarily right either.

In a multiparty system? Sure. Closed primaries make sense. In a two party system, it just insists upon "picking a side." It encourages a two party system to thrive. Primaries should be semi-open to independents.

If you don't bother to sign up for the club, you can't vote for the club's treasurer. What's stopping everyone going independent and voting to place the weaker candidate for the other side?


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #825
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,514
Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Obama disagrees with you here.
Obama promised the most transparent presidency ever, and maybe he delivered on that promise, it really wasn't that way.

It's like the primary process, candidates will cater towards the extremes of their party, but if/when they get the nomination, they better gravitate back towards the center to get elected.

No different than making it into the office. You can have all the promises to change the world, but you'll soon find out it's more complex and you won't be able to push your view through 100%, maybe not even 50/50
BEAL is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #826
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
If you don't bother to sign up for the club, you can't vote for the club's treasurer. What's stopping everyone going independent and voting to place the weaker candidate for the other side?


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is the weakest and most repeated argument in favor of closed primaries. It's like you just ignored the point I made about how closed primaries encourage this two party system to thrive. Just babbling the wash-rinse-repeat line that everyone uses.

And your argument overall is both condescending and total garbage. If you think conspiring independents will try to sabotage an election... what's stopping republicans from changing parties to vote for the weaker candidate on the other side and do the very same thing?
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #827
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,180
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I was actually shocked that Trump got registered as a Republican early enough.
Good one
Bluer White is online now  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #828
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
This is the weakest and most repeated argument in favor of closed primaries. It's like you just ignored the point I made about how closed primaries encourage this two party system to thrive. Just babbling the wash-rinse-repeat line that everyone uses.

And your argument overall is both condescending and total garbage. If you think conspiring independents will try to sabotage an election... what's stopping republicans from changing parties to vote for the weaker candidate on the other side and do the very same thing?

Lucky, did you not read my post? Your second paragraph is exactly what I was saying.

Like it or not, it's an organization, if you're not willing to identify yourself with that organization why do you feel you have a say in how the organization proceeds.

I'm not willing to label myself D or R, so I don't feel any right to tell them who they should nominate.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #829
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Lucky, did you not read my post? Your second paragraph is exactly what I was saying.

Like it or not, it's an organization, if you're not willing to identify yourself with that organization why do you feel you have a say in how the organization proceeds.

I'm not willing to label myself D or R, so I don't feel any right to tell them who they should nominate.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No, it's not. Some semi-open primaries welcome independents to vote, but do not allow individuals registered with other parties to vote.

As it currently stands, the likelihood of sabotage is just as high, if you're suggesting some conspiracy to vote in a lesser candidate. Most people don't think "I'm going to go vote for the other side's weaker candidate," and even if they do... they can currently already do that. Giving independents the ability to vote doesn't change that at all, and it's totally absurd to think that that would be the case.

And "like it or not" is not an argument, so don't use it as one. I'm fully aware of reality. That doesn't make it right. This is an argument against the structure and power of political parties. Blah blah blah George Washington, no political parties. As an independent I'm only given two options due to the consolidation of power from the two party system. Hell yes I should have the right to vote in the primaries without registering.

Either that, or those "organizations" shouldn't have the ability to consolidate power.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #830
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
No, it's not. Some semi-open primaries welcome independents to vote, but do not allow individuals registered with other parties to vote.

As it currently stands, the likelihood of sabotage is just as high, if you're suggesting some conspiracy to vote in a lesser candidate. Most people don't think "I'm going to go vote for the other side's weaker candidate," and even if they do... they can currently already do that. Giving independents the ability to vote doesn't change that at all, and it's totally absurd to think that that would be the case.

And "like it or not" is not an argument, so don't use it as one. I'm fully aware of reality. That doesn't make it right. This is an argument against the structure and power of political parties. Blah blah blah George Washington, no political parties. As an independent I'm only given two options due to the consolidation of power from the two party system. Hell yes I should have the right to vote in the primaries without registering.

Either that, or those "organizations" shouldn't have the ability to consolidate power.

I'm really not sure what you are arguing. Back in 2008 Limbaugh tried to get his listeners to change their registration so they could vote for Hillary in the primary and make her the candidate. If all primaries were open they wouldn't have to do that, they would just have to be independent. Then they can do that with every election. I don't know how else to explain.

You get no arguments from me on the two party system, but open primaries is not the answer.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #831
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm really not sure what you are arguing. Back in 2008 Limbaugh tried to get his listeners to change their registration so they could vote for Hillary in the primary and make her the candidate. If all primaries were open they wouldn't have to do that, they would just have to be independent. Then they can do that with every election. I don't know how else to explain.

You get no arguments from me on the two party system, but open primaries is not the answer.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
1. Limbaugh's listeners are typically Republicans, not Independents
2. It's just as easy to register as a Democrat as it is to register as an Independent

So, Rush Limbaugh trying to convince his listeners to be rogue Democrats is essentially the same thing as him trying to convince them to be Independents.

That is, unless of course, you're suggesting that everyone would be an independent without closed primaries? If so, mission accomplished! You've taken the most important step in eliminating the two party system.

Honestly, though, this is totally moot to even be debating. Rush Limbaugh and his little tiny sabotage movement didn't do anything and wouldn't do anything were every primary to be open (a significant amount of them ARE open in some fashion). You can't produce any numbers to suggest that a significant portion of the population has voted in a primary for a candidate that they absolutely in no way shape or form would vote for in November. You can't, because it doesn't really happen.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #832
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,041
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
We all know Bernie is in the pocket of Big Ice Cream.

Show us the Ben and Jerry's speeches!
New flavors for 2016:

Chocolate Chip He Took Their Dough

Pecan Sanders

Busted in DC Mocha
Hewson is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #833
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
1. Limbaugh's listeners are typically Republicans, not Independents
2. It's just as easy to register as a Democrat as it is to register as an Independent

So, Rush Limbaugh trying to convince his listeners to be rogue Democrats is essentially the same thing as him trying to convince them to be Independents.

That is, unless of course, you're suggesting that everyone would be an independent without closed primaries? If so, mission accomplished! You've taken the most important step in eliminating the two party system.

Honestly, though, this is totally moot to even be debating. Rush Limbaugh and his little tiny sabotage movement didn't do anything and wouldn't do anything were every primary to be open (a significant amount of them ARE open in some fashion). You can't produce any numbers to suggest that a significant portion of the population has voted in a primary for a candidate that they absolutely in no way shape or form would vote for in November. You can't, because it doesn't really happen.

I don't even know where to
begin :facepalm:





People register as a party because they are party people and because they want a say in how that party is ran.

If it was a four party system I'd say the same thing; if you don't choose a corner then you don't have a right in telling that corner who they choose. Period. You still have a right to vote in what direction the country is going. But if you're not a member of the party you don't have a right in telling that party anything.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #834
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I don't even know where to
begin :facepalm:
Then don't. Your consistent method of berating my opinion as uneducated or foolish is annoying.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #835
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Then don't. Your consistent method of berating my opinion as uneducated or foolish is annoying.

Honestly, it has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion. It was your complete misunderstanding, it came off as being purposely obtuse.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #836
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:33 PM
At least you guys can just basically declare yourselves as R or D and vote in the primaries if you comply with the rules.

Here you have to pay (it's a small fee but still) to join a party and then show up to vote when a riding elects a candidate. Basically nobody does this in Canada so we vote for whoever the riding foists on us, typically being insiders nominating one of their own. Now granted we don't vote for a president so it matters less but still fairly undemocratic.
anitram is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #837
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,124
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I don't even know where to
begin :facepalm:



probably you should make set of axioms before constructing any systems of logic that seems to work pretty well considering the thousands of years of history in Math/logic.
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #838
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 09:33 PM
I wonder who's feeling the burn tonight. This is a slaughtering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
mikal is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #839
Blue Crack Addict
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 15,651
Local Time: 11:33 PM
I'm not even surprised.
prbiker15 is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #840
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,450
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Honestly, it has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion. It was your complete misunderstanding, it came off as being purposely obtuse.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
This post is exactly my point. Thank you.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×